The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 08, 2001, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Team A is the visiting team and they are not on the floor with 1 minute left in half time. At 30 seconds someone goes in and tells them the time.They come out 2 minutes later and said that no one notified them of the time until the person came in with 30 seconds left.and they want extra time to warm up.
What is the call?
Old Mon Jan 08, 2001, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

No warm-up - play ball. Be thankful you didn't get a delay T. And appoint an assistant to keep track of time before game and at halftime.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2001, 01:48pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb to my knowledge

Quote:
Originally posted by db
Team A is the visiting team and they are not on the floor with 1 minute left in half time. At 30 seconds someone goes in and tells them the time.They come out 2 minutes later and said that no one notified them of the time until the person came in with 30 seconds left.and they want extra time to warm up.
What is the call?
db,
It is the reponsibility of the officials, particularly the Referee, to have the table notify both teams and the officials.
I think decorum would recommend the visiting team be allowed a warmup if they came onto the floor immediately. But, since they delayed an additional 2 min 30 sec. in returning, I would say S'go.
mick

Old Mon Jan 08, 2001, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

I think this is one where you have to use your best judgement.

The rule book says it is the R's responsibility to make sure the teams are notified. I have taken upon myself to go notifiy teams when it is under 2 minutes, just so that I know it was done. If they delay at that point, not my problem.

In this case, since they were told late, if they came out ASAP I would let them warm up for a minute or two.

Since they stalled, I think the coach did it on purpose.

While we need to ensure they are notified, I still think the ultimate responsibility is on them to keep track. They should know when it is close to 3 minutes. I know when is "seems" too long, and I am usually right.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2001, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
New this year here in Dutchess County, at least for girls: At the half, R is supposed to remind the table personel to make sure that both teams are notified 3 minutes before the second half.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2001, 03:08pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
New this year here in Dutchess County, at least for girls: At the half, R is supposed to remind the table personel to make sure that both teams are notified 3 minutes before the second half.
Lotto,
We've been doing that for years. And, I think that is written somewhere, but I'll be danged is I know where.
mick
Old Mon Jan 08, 2001, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

Lotto,
We've been doing that for years. And, I think that is written somewhere, but I'll be danged is I know where.
mick
Mechanics Manual, 109.d (in the '97-98 and '98-'99 book)
Old Mon Jan 08, 2001, 03:16pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Yupper!

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Lotto,
mick
Thanks, Bob.
Same in the current Book: 109 d.
mick

Old Mon Jan 08, 2001, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

I learned this one the hard way....

My rookie season (last yr) I am doing a JV game with a seasoned veteran. I asked him at 3 minutes til 2nd half, Should we send someone for the teams?
He was non-chalant.... "No" ... 1 min left Home team comes out... Buzzer sounds... No visiting team. One of the assistants for the visitors appears in the bench area... I immediately dispatch him to get his team on the court.

During the delay, I approach my partner about "warm-up time." He says without hesitation, "Its time to play ball."

The visiting coach brings the team to the floor and asks for 2 minutes of warm-up. It is evident that he expected to have "someone" notify him. I diplomatically attempted to inform him of the guidance given by the R. I get an earful about the "micky mouse operation" and so on... Since the R is on the far side of the court and I am in the near vacinity of the visiting bench I get a verbal tirade that continues until the R intervenes and warns the coach.

I was very uncomfortable for the remainder of that game. Because I was not confident that we had done the right thing and the visiting coach had done a pretty good job of tongue-lashing me.

I left the game and searched my mechanics manual until I found 109d. In hindsight, I would have given the visitors the 2 minutes, if I was certian of 109d.

This was one of those experiences that I learned from and will not repeat. During this season, I have made several teams aware of the time, via use of the scorer's table.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2001, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Re: Yupper!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Lotto,
mick
Thanks, Bob.
Same in the current Book: 109 d.
mick

We use NCAA rules (with modifications) and this was just added this year: rule 2, section 6, article 4.