The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Trial by Fire, FT, TO, Blarge

I will never criticize a fellow referee again.

First HS F/JV Boys games. Class A schools. Freshman game went fine.

JV game....let's see...
1. Blarge, partner came in and had block. I then went to report it, could not remember who to call it on.
2. OOB play that my P helped me on, where W came from OOB and had not established himself inbounds before touching ball.
3. Both Teams in bonus in first half, both in 2nd half, one being double bonus.
4. Took a ball off the ear while administering FT and joked to the kid who innocently threw it.."You must be the point guard," (trying to make light of MY goof.) He thought I was talking trash to him. (Forgot the "Can't quote silence.")
5. My mechanics on OOB made me look like a traffic cop or a crazed windmill...take your pick.
6. Blue, down by 8 with 14 seconds left calls time out, but the official book and clock say they don't have any. The visitor's book has only 4. I call the T and we administer the free throws.
7. Game took about an hour and 25 mins to play.

You should have seen the look on the V refs when we went back to our dressing room afterwards.

I still feel sick. I really thought I'd be ready.

Last edited by dsqrddgd909; Tue Dec 08, 2009 at 09:42pm.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Well, next time will be better!
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post

JV game....let's see...
1. Blarge, partner came in and had block. I then went to report it, could not remember who to call it on.
It happens. Main point here is to slow down. Hold your preliminary signal on double whistles until you can come together. Take your time and gather your thoughts before you report to the table. Slow Down.

Quote:
2. OOB play that my P helped me on, where W came from OOB and had not established himself inbounds before touching ball.

You can't blame yourself for bad basketball. You have to call what you see. Don't fall into the trap that you need to hurry your game just to please some big time Varsity Official who has a date at a bar at 9:30. The assignor has arranged for you to be there and you are being paid for your service. You don't owe anyone an apology for doing your best.

Quote:
4. Took a ball off the ear while administering FT and joked to the kid who innocently threw it.."You must be the point guard," (trying to make light of MY goof.) He thought I was talking trash to him. (Forgot the "Can't quote silence.")
Don't worry about that. You have to let your personality come into play a little. If you try to stifle it, you will end up working too hard on controlling you and that just leads to burnout.

Quote:
5. My mechanics on OOB made me look like a traffic cop or a crazed windmill...take your pick.
6. Blue, down by 8 with 14 seconds left calls time out, but the official book and clock say they don't have any. The visitor's book has only 4. I call the T and we administer the free throws.
Even if both books have 5, if the team asks for a time out, you need to grant it an then assess the T's.

Quote:
See my note on point 3.

Quote:
You should have seen the look on the V refs when we went back to our dressing room afterwards.

JV basketball will never be confused with Duke/UNC. Its hard to look pretty when the basketball is ugly. Put it behind you an look forward to your next assignment. You can't get better sitting in the stands. Get on the court and keep working on your game.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 04:58am
Official Forum Member

How was your effort? Did you hustle on every play? Did you give the kids the best that you had that night?

Of course, you did. Don't worry, you'll get more comfortable as you do more games.

You are disappointed because you care, which is a good thing.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

My advice- don't let it get to you.

Take your time. Don't anticipate the foul, but anticipate the play. Once you see a foul, call a foul. Once you blow your whistle- replay it in your head for a fraction of a second telling yourself who, what, where, when, and how... many times officials never figure out the " why" a foul occurred. Tell yourself the # of the offender, the nature of the foul, and the results ( OOB, FT, bonus etc) on your way to the table.

Who cares if you're in bonus. Bonus often means bad coaching, not bad officiating.

Learn from your mistakes- refuse to make the same mistake twice!

Most of all- get out there and have fun. I doubt the guys doing the NCAA final 4 were perfect their first games... or season... or seasons. Do as many games as you can. Watch your partners. Watch other games. Call your assignor and ask who their top guys are and when they are working and go watch them work. It's a valuable tool.

Also, goto camps!
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 11:34am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

JV game....let's see...

At least you realized that you made some mistakes. That's better than a lot of new officials I have come across lately.

As far as the Varsity official, fugg him unless he had something constuctive to pass on to you.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

JV game....let's see...

You've just done what I think is the single most important thing you can do. You took some time after the game to sit down with (electronic) pen and paper and evaluate your performance. This will do more to hasten your improvement and to set you up for success in the areas you've just identified in your next game than any other thing I've found.

Bring on the next game!
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

The next time someone complains about this forum, I am sending them this entire thread.

You guys don't know me from Adam's left Ox, I can't possibly do anything to benefit you, but you offer terrific advice and encouragement.

I actually had tears in my eyes. Thanks!
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 12:05pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Thumbs up

dsqrddgd909 - another piece of advice.....never forget your beginnings.

As you gain experience, develop, and become a more senior ref, always remember how you started - the good and bad games. Then, when you see that younger, inexperienced official struggling or having a bad game, give them the same little push and encouragement you're getting.

We've all been there!

Continued good luck!
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I actually had tears in my eyes. Thanks!
No wonder you had a blarge -- you couldn't see the play.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

As these guys have already said, move on and get back on the horse. I had a bad boys JV/V night last night. My partner and I really didn't do all that bad, but the play was pretty rough and the players not all that talented. When the games are that bad, it makes you think you didn't do a good job though. My next game isn't until Friday and I'm ready to get back on the court so I can forget about last night.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
As these guys have already said, move on and get back on the horse. I had a bad boys JV/V night last night. My partner and I really didn't do all that bad, but the play was pretty rough and the players not all that talented. When the games are that bad, it makes you think you didn't do a good job though. My next game isn't until Friday and I'm ready to get back on the court so I can forget about last night.
I had a girl's varsity game Monday night that set the game of basketball back 25 years. One team was baaaaaaaad, and tey won by 20 so you can imagine how bad the other one was. (Actually, you might not) Like I said before, its hard to look pretty when the game is ugly. I can't wait to get back on the court tonight.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
dsqrddgd909 - another piece of advice.....never forget your beginnings.

As you gain experience, develop, and become a more senior ref, always remember how you started - the good and bad games. Then, when you see that younger, inexperienced official struggling or having a bad game, give them the same little push and encouragement you're getting.

We've all been there!

Continued good luck!
This is great advice. I'm in the middle of my progression from sub-varsity to varsity and often get partnered with first year officials on sub-varsity. I make a point of telling them we all have been there and done that.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 06:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You Mean Like This ...

Quote:
My mechanics on OOB made me look like a traffic cop.
YouTube - Dancing Traffic Cop
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 06:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

One Word: Hot ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75 View Post
Don't fall into the trap that you need to hurry your game just to please some big time Varsity Official who has a date at a bar at 9:30.
Hey. You don't know what she looks like.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 09, 2009 at 07:02pm.