The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Time out between quarters?

Beginning of 4th quarter, calling both teams back to court. It is Team B's ball and we're getting ready to hand it in, waiting for Team A to finish their huddle. A few blows of the whistle and instructing coach and Team A to get on out.

Coach A responds "Time-out." (As in requesting a time-out). It is B's ball but we have not given it to B1 yet.

Is this possible? I can't think of any reason why not but also can't think of how it can be either. So obviously I'm missing something and that's where you all come in :-)
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 03:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfordwilkins View Post
Beginning of 4th quarter, calling both teams back to court. It is Team B's ball and we're getting ready to hand it in, waiting for Team A to finish their huddle. A few blows of the whistle and instructing coach and Team A to get on out.

Coach A responds "Time-out." (As in requesting a time-out). It is B's ball but we have not given it to B1 yet.

Is this possible? I can't think of any reason why not but also can't think of how it can be either. So obviously I'm missing something and that's where you all come in :-)
There's your answer. When do the rules say a timeout may be granted? Does this situation qualify? Just because it's not the norm doesn't mean it's not legal.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Right, we granted it and both kinda laughed racking our brains trying to think is there any reason we couldn't.

Once we handed the ball to B1, we know he couldn't -- but previous to that all signs say he can I guess ha.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 04:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Exactly.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Concerning the intermission between quarters, when is the minute supposed to start?

When the teams are at their benches? When the buzzer sounds, ending the quarter?

I know when time-outs are called, the clock doesn't start until normally the teams are at their benches, as that's when the reporting official says to start the clock/timer.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 04:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Good question. Off the top of my head, I'd say treat it like a TO and start when the get to the benches. Only give them a reasonable amount of time, though; if B1 is lingering on the other side of the court flirting with a cheerleader, don't wait for her.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
...if B1 is lingering on the other side of the court flirting with a cheerleader, don't wait for her.
Or B1 for that matter.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Concerning the intermission between quarters, when is the minute supposed to start?
As soon as the previous period ends.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
As soon as the previous period ends.
Not that I doubt you, but is there a citation on this?
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 02:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
Not that I doubt you, but is there a citation on this?
The main timing rule is 5-5-1, but the following play rulings clarify that the horn ends the period and that the intermission has begun.
Bob is fully correct.

10.4.1 SITUATION C: After the horn sounds to end the first half, A1 removes
his/her jersey near the team bench. RULING: A technical foul is charged to A1 and
an indirect technical foul is charged to the head coach; A1 is considered bench
personnel in this situation. (10-4-1h)

4.34.2 SITUATION: The horn sounds to end the third quarter. As the teams are
heading to their respective benches, team members A1 and B1 verbally taunt one
another. RULING: Double technical foul charged to A1 and B1. During the intermission
between quarters, all team members are bench personnel. Both head
coaches are indirectly charged with technical fouls and lose their coaching box privileges.
Play will resume at the point of interruption, which is an alternating-possession
arrow throw-in, to begin the fourth quarter. (10-4-1c Penalty; 10-5-1a)

2006-07 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations
SITUATION 4: The horn sounds to end the third quarter. As the teams are heading to their respective benches, team members A1 and B1 verbally taunt one another. RULING: Double technical foul charged to A1 and B1. During the intermission between quarters, all team members are bench personnel. Both head coaches are indirectly charged with technical fouls and lose their coaching box privileges. Play will resume at the point of interruption, which is an alternating-possession arrow throw-in to begin the fourth quarter. (4-34-2; 10-4-1c Penalty)
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 02:56am
Official Forum Member

What I'll have to start doing then, is before the 1st game starts on Saturday is ask the Floor officials how they want it done so I can correspond with how they want things ran.

I have been doing the timing like how the timing was done for time-outs (reporting official waited for both teams to be in huddle & said to start), with no complaints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The main timing rule is 5-5-1, but the following play rulings clarify that the horn ends the period and that the intermission has begun.
Bob is fully correct.

10.4.1 SITUATION C: After the horn sounds to end the first half, A1 removes
his/her jersey near the team bench. RULING: A technical foul is charged to A1 and
an indirect technical foul is charged to the head coach; A1 is considered bench
personnel in this situation. (10-4-1h)

4.34.2 SITUATION: The horn sounds to end the third quarter. As the teams are
heading to their respective benches, team members A1 and B1 verbally taunt one
another. RULING: Double technical foul charged to A1 and B1. During the intermission
between quarters, all team members are bench personnel. Both head
coaches are indirectly charged with technical fouls and lose their coaching box privileges.
Play will resume at the point of interruption, which is an alternating-possession
arrow throw-in, to begin the fourth quarter. (10-4-1c Penalty; 10-5-1a)

2006-07 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations
SITUATION 4: The horn sounds to end the third quarter. As the teams are heading to their respective benches, team members A1 and B1 verbally taunt one another. RULING: Double technical foul charged to A1 and B1. During the intermission between quarters, all team members are bench personnel. Both head coaches are indirectly charged with technical fouls and lose their coaching box privileges. Play will resume at the point of interruption, which is an alternating-possession arrow throw-in to begin the fourth quarter. (4-34-2; 10-4-1c Penalty)
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 03:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What I'll have to start doing then, is before the 1st game starts on Saturday is ask the Floor officials how they want it done so I can correspond with how they want things ran.

I have been doing the timing like how the timing was done for time-outs (reporting official waited for both teams to be in huddle & said to start), with no complaints.
Why would you ask the game officials how they want the clock run as opposed to simply following the rules as written in the book?

Of course, if you asked me, I'd tell you to start the intermission timer as soon as possible. The break between quarters is really a waste of time for the officials as we just stand there doing nothing, and an extra time-out for the teams. I would prefer playing two halves as some states are beginning to do. I hope that we will see a rules change in the near future making that national.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 03:35am
Official Forum Member

This way I get the clarification from them what the WIAA Regulation is. I realize after reading all the posts on here that the different state associations do have some rules variances, though most are word-for-word with NFHS.

Also so that I know that running on the same page as the floor officials. The coaches may not like it but c'est la vie.

Quote:
Why would you ask the game officials how they want the clock run as opposed to simply following the rules as written in the book?

Of course, if you asked me, I'd tell you to start the intermission timer as soon as possible. The break between quarters is really a waste of time for the officials as we just stand there doing nothing, and an extra time-out for the teams. I would prefer playing two halves as some states are beginning to do. I hope that we will see a rules change in the near future making that national.

Last edited by chseagle; Thu Dec 10, 2009 at 03:39am.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 03:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This way I get the clarification from them what the WIAA Regulation is. I realize after reading all the posts on here that the different state associations do have some rules variances, though most are word-for-word with NFHS.

Also so that I know that running on the same page as the floor officials. The coaches may not like it but c'est la vie.
I would caution you about believing that every official who walks through the doors of your facility knows the rules cold. Most are familiar with the basics, but struggle when it comes to the particulars.

You would be better off contacting the state rules interpreter or at least the interpreter for your local officials association. At least you will get a thoughtful response as opposed to an answer of "because that's the way that I want it."
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 04:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would caution you about believing that every official who walks through the doors of your facility knows the rules cold. Most are familiar with the basics, but struggle when it comes to the particulars.

You would be better off contacting the state rules interpreter or at least the interpreter for your local officials association. At least you will get a thoughtful response as opposed to an answer of "because that's the way that I want it."
I was just thinking of e-mailing the WIAA Administrator over basketball.