Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post

10pm is still pretty hot, or I am already drunk

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 03:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The whole picture process looks like a billboard for the combined effects of meth and alcohol.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Depending on which direction you view the series. If both were in play (meth-head girl, drunk guy)...the next morning could be quite a shock!
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 08:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hey, It Was 5:00 p.m. Somewhere ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by j51969 View Post
10pm is still pretty hot, or I am already drunk.
Agree. and I haven't had a drink since 11:00 a.m.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
You've just done what I think is the single most important thing you can do. You took some time after the game to sit down with (electronic) pen and paper and evaluate your performance. This will do more to hasten your improvement and to set you up for success in the areas you've just identified in your next game than any other thing I've found.

Bring on the next game!
So glad I found this thread today. I've got a game tonight for a team that I haven't worked in 3-4 years. That game went about as badly as the OP. Anything that could rattle me, did, and it showed. I think back to that game often and remember my mistakes and what lead me there. I was in over my head with a false sense of security. I expect tonight's game to be much different in how I handle myself, my calls, and my relationships with the coaches.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Everybody has got to have a first game, and it is generally a huge wake-up to those who have been critical of officials as mere spectators. The trick is getting to the second game with a clearer picture and some confidence.

Sounds like you have made some good steps--obviously watched some tape of your performance; verbalized your mistakes; recognized shortcomings. I hope you haven't ignored the probable hundreds of things you did right.

It's a constant learning journey. Part of my pre-game whenever I do a JV game (many times my association assigns a varsity official to a JV game to help the newbies out) is for each of us (myself included) identify what we need to work on or are trying to learn that particular outing. I've found that if you try to learn/fix it all in any particular game you accomplish little, but if you address things one or two at a time you learn a surprising amount.

Good advice given earlier in this thread: slow down. Work on ridiculously crisp mechanics (slowing down will help you with this). You do not want partners, players, coaches, or even fans guessing at what you're communicating.

Enjoy the journey.