The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Jump on the Jump

Is it me or does the College way of handling the following situation sound better. If the ball is tipped on the jump (to start game or OT) and A2 and B2 possess the ball at the same time creating a held ball situation we our to rejump. In highschool A2 and B2 would be the jumpers, in College anyone may jump. I just think having the 2 original jumpers that are used to jumping makes for a better start. In high school you could have a 5'4 kid jumping against a 6'1 kid. Doesn't this put a team at a disadvantage when both kids mad the play of tying up the ball to begin with.
I know it isn't a big deal, but I like to college rule more in this case.
Any thought? Agree or Disagree?
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

It's better than a coin toss.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIAA REF View Post
...In high school you could have a 5'4 kid jumping against a 6'1 kid....
*Sarcasm*That same 5'4" kid is at a height disadvantage on rebounding as well. So should we cut everyone down to 5'4"? Another kid on the other team is a heck of a lot more talented than the 5'4" kid as well, lets tie one hand behind his back! */Sarcasm*

The game is to be played with God-given advantages/disadvantages. The rules are not made to make everyone the same entirely but to make the game fair.

-Josh
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

not the same

U are forcing this smaller kid do the jump which he probably never did before, I think they will change this to line up with college next yr. But we will see.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Much ado about nothing.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 01:00pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Instigator......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
It's better than a coin toss.
Not according to BillyMac who I'm sure will be along shortly to voice his opnion!
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 01:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
U are forcing this smaller kid do the jump which he probably never did before, I think they will change this to line up with college next yr. But we will see.
I'll be surrpised if they change it. Why now?
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

College

THey seem to be a yr or so behind college with changes. College just changed this so I could see high school doing the same.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

The reason for the rule is historical. From the dawn of time (or even before that, back when Billy started officiating) a held ball resulted in a jump between the two players involved.

Back in the day, the height disparity was more significant because you might have a jump ball at any point in game, and it might occur near either basket. Now that the jump has been relegated to just a way to start the game, it's no big deal. If the 5'4" kids loses the tap, his team still has 32 minutes to make up whatever points were scored off of the play.

It's only happened to me a couple of times, but it's kind of fun to see the look in the 5'4" kid's eyes when you tell him he's jumping.

BTW, the dust cover of my copy of "Calling The Shots" shows Earl Strom signaling what looks like a jump ball between two specific players. That's the same mechanic I have used when this has happened in my games.

Last edited by Back In The Saddle; Mon Dec 07, 2009 at 02:04pm.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

I like the rule, for two reasons:

1. It's a cool 'tip of the cap' to a traditional rule that has little impact on the outcome of a game; and

2. It's fun as hell.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is it me or does the College way of handling the following situation sound better. If the ball is tipped on the jump (to start game or OT) and A2 and B2 possess the ball at the same time creating a held ball situation we our to rejump. In highschool A2 and B2 would be the jumpers, in College anyone may jump. I just think having the 2 original jumpers that are used to jumping makes for a better start. In high school you could have a 5'4 kid jumping against a 6'1 kid. Doesn't this put a team at a disadvantage when both kids mad the play of tying up the ball to begin with.
I know it isn't a big deal, but I like to college rule more in this case.
Quote:
Quote:
THey seem to be a yr or so behind college with changes. College just changed this so I could see high school doing the same.
Bold statement. The NCAA put the shot clock in more than a few years ago, most states still don't use it. College has continued to allow players to go into the lane on the release for FTs -- hasn't been this way in high school for better than a decade or so.

I would guess this happens less than 1 time in 250 to 500 games. Even with 1500 or so varsity basketball teams in Ohio, it probably happens 20 to 50 times per year. Likely not worth worrying about. Besides, just because a player taps the ball, possession is far from guaranteed.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
The reason for the rule is historical. From the dawn of time (or even before that, back when Billy started officiating) a held ball resulted in a jump between the two players involved.
Correct me if I am wrong, from the "dawn of time", I believe there was a jump after every made basket. I'll wait on Billy to confirm.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, from the "dawn of time", I believe there was a jump after every made basket. I'll wait on Billy to confirm.
That is correct.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 06:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Much ado about nothing.
I agree. I do not think I have ever seen this happen in a game I officiated or I was watching.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I agree. I do not think I have ever seen this happen in a game I officiated or I was watching.

Peace
Actually had this happen last week.

Jeff, the reason you haven't seen it was because it happened in a girls' game.

(Used with permission.)