The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Jump or OOB Vio?

A UNH IM bball ref asked me the other day if player A1 has possession of the ball inbounds and player B1, with one foot out of bounds, attempts to take possession away from A1 and a held ball situation arises is there any difference to the call because of the out of bounds position the defensive player has... i.e. the defensive player doesn't have legal guarding position so he may not make contact with the ball or the player? What do you guys think, I've been racking my brains..
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNH IM Ref View Post
A UNH IM bball ref asked me the other day if player A1 has possession of the ball inbounds and player B1, with one foot out of bounds, attempts to take possession away from A1 and a held ball situation arises is there any difference to the call because of the out of bounds position the defensive player has... i.e. the defensive player doesn't have legal guarding position so he may not make contact with the ball or the player? What do you guys think, I've been racking my brains..
Once any player who is OOB touches the ball the ball becomes dead. The opponent is then awarded a Throw-In.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 02:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
The part in red is incorrect. LGP is irrelevant here anyway.

Da Official has the correct ruling. I've had lots of would-be-held-balls that ended up being OOB violations instead.

Last edited by Adam; Sat Feb 21, 2009 at 11:09am.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Official View Post
Once any player who is OOB touches the ball the ball becomes dead. The opponent is then awarded a Throw-In.
The exception being, of course, if it's an inbounder who's out of bounds (now there's a mind bender at first) at the time of a held ball.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 03:18pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
The exception being, of course, if it's an inbounder who's out of bounds (now there's a mind bender at first) at the time of a held ball.
Aren't all inbounders out-of-bounds? If not, they must then be inbounds (the opposite of out of bounds). When they become inbounds, they have violated, and therefore are no longer inbounders, since the ball is dead.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Aren't all inbounders out-of-bounds? If not, they must then be inbounds (the opposite of out of bounds). When they become inbounds, they have violated, and therefore are no longer inbounders, since the ball is dead.
I get what he saying, if the thrower reaches the ball through the plane and the defender grabs the ball causing a held ball call, you can have one person OOB in this case.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishstripes View Post
I get what he saying, if the thrower reaches the ball through the plane and the defender grabs the ball causing a held ball call, you can have one person OOB in this case.
Well in that case I have a T for not giving the inbounder enough space.

I know we're going off the OP a bit here but I wanted to make sure the inbounder is allowed to hand the ball off to a teammate, or would it be a same team heldball that would result in a travel or OOB vio. ?????
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well in that case I have a T for not giving the inbounder enough space.

I know we're going off the OP a bit here but I wanted to make sure the inbounder is allowed to hand the ball off to a teammate, or would it be a same team heldball that would result in a travel or OOB vio. ?????
Not necessarily so. If there's enough room for the inbounder to back off the endline, there is no reason for the defender to "give enough space" or the official to declare an imaginary boundary line on the court.

Inbounder may reach across the endline plane to inbound the ball but may not "hand off" to teammate.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

So 2 things: a defender CAN grab the ball only if the inbounder is holding it over the OOB plane? and when the inbounder hands off to his own teammate that would be just an inbounding vio? or is it OOB vio?
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So 2 things: a defender CAN grab the ball only if the inbounder is holding it over the OOB plane? and when the inbounder hands off to his own teammate that would be just an inbounding vio? or is it OOB vio?
Yes, the defender can grab the ball only if the thrower holds it across the line.

A hand off is simply a violation. It's not out of bounds.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 06:16am
Official Forum Member

NFHS rules citations

If player with OOB status contacts the ball it is an OOB violation on that player per 7-2-2.

It is a throw-in violation if the thrower hands the ball to an inbounds teammate. The ball must be passed per 9-2-2.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 06:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Official View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
The part in red is incorrect. LGP is irrelevant here anyway.

Da Official has the correct ruling. I've had lots of would-be-held-balls that ended up being OOB violations instead.
Saying that the part in red is incorrect is misleading. The player with OOB status does NOT have LGP by definition. That player cannot contact the ball without causing an OOB violation. However, that player MAY contact another player, but may not do so in a way which constitutes a foul. That is the only part which I find to be slightly incorrect.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 11:11am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Saying that the part in red is incorrect is misleading. The player with OOB status does NOT have LGP by definition. That player cannot contact the ball without causing an OOB violation. However, that player MAY contact another player, but may not do so in a way which constitutes a foul. That is the only part which I find to be slightly incorrect.
Good point. I fixed it so the part in red is incorrect. My point was, LGP is not relevant to whether a player may touch the ball. I think LGP is getting over used in these plays, and this is a classic example.