View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIAA REF View Post
Is it me or does the College way of handling the following situation sound better. If the ball is tipped on the jump (to start game or OT) and A2 and B2 possess the ball at the same time creating a held ball situation we our to rejump. In highschool A2 and B2 would be the jumpers, in College anyone may jump. I just think having the 2 original jumpers that are used to jumping makes for a better start. In high school you could have a 5'4 kid jumping against a 6'1 kid. Doesn't this put a team at a disadvantage when both kids mad the play of tying up the ball to begin with.
I know it isn't a big deal, but I like to college rule more in this case.
Any thought? Agree or Disagree?
Quote:
U are forcing this smaller kid do the jump which he probably never did before, I think they will change this to line up with college next yr. But we will see.
Quote:
THey seem to be a yr or so behind college with changes. College just changed this so I could see high school doing the same.
Bold statement. The NCAA put the shot clock in more than a few years ago, most states still don't use it. College has continued to allow players to go into the lane on the release for FTs -- hasn't been this way in high school for better than a decade or so.

I would guess this happens less than 1 time in 250 to 500 games. Even with 1500 or so varsity basketball teams in Ohio, it probably happens 20 to 50 times per year. Likely not worth worrying about. Besides, just because a player taps the ball, possession is far from guaranteed.