The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Question Preferences for scoreboard/timer & scorebook operations

What is the preference of everyone when it comes to who's doing scoreboard/timer & official scorebook at games?

Do you prefer someone who is keeping up with the rules/regulations? Or someone that's going off of regulations that's 5-10 years old?

Should it be mandatory that anyone doing scoreboard/timing and scorebook have to go through the training & testing that the floor officials go through?

I am asking this because I have been doing scoreboard/timing for my alma mater for the past 4 years, & every year I go to my state association's website & go through the online rules clinic that's posted for the public to view. For my alma mater, I do scoreboard/timing for JV & C-Squad games, I have also done Girls' Varsity Shot Clock for a couple of games.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

I am curious as to what everyone's thoughts are on this, concerning the fact that there is a difference in first-year scoreboard/timer & scorebook, & those that have been doing it for years on end.

How easy is it, as a floor official, to keep up on the new POE & rules/regulations when they change from one year to another?
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Not something I even worry about because I have no control over it. The home team picks who does it. If they look like a deer in the headlights, I might try to help them a little with some advice. other than that, the only think I do is ask them if they know when to blow the warning horn. If they give me a strong and correct answer, we're good to go.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

It is always better to work with an experienced and competent table crew.

That said, this is not the choice of the officials, and we have to take whomever the school provides and do the best that we can.

I have seen several games get screwed up in the past couple of seasons because of the table crew not handling their duties properly.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

That said, this is not the choice of the officials, and we have to take whomever the school provides and do the best that we can.

I have seen several games get screwed up in the past couple of seasons because of the table crew not handling their duties properly.
As an example, last year I was doing shot clock for Girls' Varsity, whenever a foul was being called the calling official was looking at me & reporting the information at me, instead of to the Scoreboard/Timer & Scorebook.

I had worked with that official several times before when I was JV & C-Squad Scoreboard/Timer, and the official was so used to my method of operations. The person that does the Varsity Scoreboard/Timer has been doing it for at least 10 years, yet I've only done scoreboard/timer for 4-5 years. You'd think the more senior person would have more respect/appreciation from the officials, yet whenever I am at the table I get better responses than others.

With this person that's got the more experience, I've seen several screw ups, yet no one seems to want to change things.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What?!? Rules reference, please!

You're really stirring the pot these days, Nevada.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 08:44am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
I'll take an experienced, conscientious, non-distracted crew anytime.

I worked as the "volunteer" clock operator for a HS (non-V game) last yr. Everything was fine until the refs came to the table at half-time to verify all was well. Visitor's book and scoreboard reflected one score (V leading by two), Home book reflected another (tie score). (NOTE - I was the only person at the table above the age of 18. Well above 18. As has been pointed out, this can be a problem).

Well, we rectified the situation as by rule as the Books could not agree where the issue was.

The V Coach/team was none too happy when they came back out onto the floor for the second half.....
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

As far as keeping up on rules and such, I think the practical ideal is somewhere in between. Obviously grabbing a random kid from the stands to run the book/clock is problematic (as has been proven repeatedly at some schools I work). But does the table crew really need to know the ideal size for a HS basketball court, the maximum allowable side inset width for a legal jersey, or whether a ball handler can legally pivot if he/she jumps off one foot and lands on two? Not really. But it is very helpful to have a table crew that knows all the rules about substitution, who understand that running score is more important that individual point totals, who understands how direct and indirect technicals work and are recorded, even what to do when a player scores a the other team's basket. The scorekeeper who knows all that is the scorekeeper I want to work with.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

I prefer to work with scorers and timers who are female and attractive.

However, I mostly prefer to work with scorers and timers who are there. It is frustrating to be at the table before the game, doing your admin chores, and the timer or scorer is off eating a hotdog and chatting with friends.

In my area, these are paid positions (per game) for all Varsity contests. The same people usually do them for every home game. Consequently, they are usually experienced. That doesn't mean they know everything but it does mean that a quick chat and intro before the game typically makes for a smooth game.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
I prefer to work with scorers and timers who are female and attractive.
Or did you really mean: I prefer to score with timers who are female and attractive.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
As an example, last year I was doing shot clock for Girls' Varsity, whenever a foul was being called the calling official was looking at me & reporting the information at me, instead of to the Scoreboard/Timer & Scorebook.

I had worked with that official several times before when I was JV & C-Squad Scoreboard/Timer, and the official was so used to my method of operations. The person that does the Varsity Scoreboard/Timer has been doing it for at least 10 years, yet I've only done scoreboard/timer for 4-5 years. You'd think the more senior person would have more respect/appreciation from the officials, yet whenever I am at the table I get better responses than others.

With this person that's got the more experience, I've seen several screw ups, yet no one seems to want to change things.
you sound a little jaded... just because the JV coach goes undefeated for 3 straight years doen't mean he/she gets the varsity job. That is just basketball politics... you refs never have to deal with politics I am sure.

(sorry for the off topic remarks)
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I don't think any of that has anything to do with it. Many times, if I'm familiar with a face at the table, I'm going to be drawn more toward that face. For example, the timer this past Friday night has been at the table for years. I did not know either scorer. So naturally, my gaze would catch the timer most times. But then I would pick up the scorer.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 01:46pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadams View Post
you refs never have to deal with politics I am sure.
That was a joke, right?
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
I don't think any of that has anything to do with it. Many times, if I'm familiar with a face at the table, I'm going to be drawn more toward that face. For example, the timer this past Friday night has been at the table for years. I did not know either scorer. So naturally, my gaze would catch the timer most times. But then I would pick up the scorer.
I agree. Who I look at when reporting doesn't have anything to do with my opinion of who is sitting at the table. It does have a lot to do with where they put that big "X" on the floor. Unfortunately that "X" is usually at the center of the table and the timer is sitting behind it instead of the scorer.

Last edited by Scratch85; Mon Dec 07, 2009 at 02:08pm.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

ADs, assignors, vets, boards, coaches... never none. doomed I say, doomed.