The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Violation?!

A1 dribbling towards the frontcourt with a loose man-to-man press being applied by B1. A1 stops, the ball bounces up towards A1's hands, he touches it with both hands but muffs it (he was looking up court as he tried to catch the ball). The ball falls to the floor and without moving either foot, A1 picks it up. Violation?

I've got nothing play on. The dribble ended when he touched the ball with both hands. He subsequently fumbled the ball and he may pick up the fumble. Hot topic on Friday with myself and a senior official.

-Josh
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Fumble. However, he can not begin a second dribble after regaining control.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Guess I should add that immediately after A1 regained control, my C whistled *Double Dribble*

-Josh
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 04:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Figured as much. It's his judgment if it's a fumble or second dribble. Did the C agree it was a fumble or did he judge it differently?
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Figured as much. It's his judgment if it's a fumble or second dribble. Did the C agree it was a fumble or did he judge it differently?
After the game I asked him what he saw. He said he saw the player touch the ball with two hands, fumble, and retrieve the ball before anyone else touched it. I explained that touching with two hands does end the dribble (I agree) but a fumble is not a second dribble and he may retrieve his fumble. He didn't agree with me and I dropped it. He isn't someone I want to get on my bad side.

-Josh
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 04:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I know the feeling. I've dropped many a discussion for political reasons.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

I have seen this play a lot over the years and have always called it a fumble. But when I have two college officials telling me I'm wrong, I start to second guess myself.

-Josh
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Only thing I'd add, is that after he fumbles it, it doesn't matter what he does with his feet before he gathers the ball, as long as after securing the ball he doesn't travel.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 06:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Stop it right now!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
I have seen this play a lot over the years and have always called it a fumble. But when I have two college officials telling me I'm wrong, I start to second guess myself.

-Josh
All college official means is that someone gave them a game at those levels. It does not mean they are more knowledgeable or better than the average official. Many college officials are just average. And I am speaking as a college official and I work with many college officials. There are a lot of sorry college officials.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 06:59pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
There are a lot of sorry college officials.
I worked a Sorry board game tournament at a local college. Apparently, there are a lot of college Sorry officials, too.

OK, guys - I promise I'll look for my meds.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
A1 dribbling towards the frontcourt with a loose man-to-man press being applied by B1.
Despite the totally incorrect illegal dribble call by this official, I would be more worried about why my partner is looking into the backcourt as the C at the two players which the T is obviously watching. I'm more concerned about coverage areas than judgment.

Rather than question his decision on the play, you should be questioning why he was even looking there in the first place. Does he not trust you to pull your own weight on the crew?
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 08:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Despite the totally incorrect illegal dribble call by this official, I would be more worried about why my partner is looking into the backcourt as the C at the two players which the T is obviously watching. I'm more concerned about coverage areas than judgment.

Rather than question his decision on the play, you should be questioning why he was even looking there in the first place. Does he not trust you to pull your own weight on the crew?
Probably for the same reason he wouldn't consider that he might be wrong.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

Disclaimer: my area predominately uses two officials and I have only worked in a crew of 3 a handful of times.

However, I will say this: if you watch college games on TV, it is my observation that when here is a 1-on-1 matchup coming up for the floor, you will see 4 eyes on those 2 guys more often than 2 eyes only. It seems that the C does a lot of assisting the T as the ball is advancing up the floor up to the point that a regular offensive set begins. Judging by this observation alone, I have no problem with having another set of eyes in the backcourt at this time.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseltser View Post
Disclaimer: my area predominately uses two officials and I have only worked in a crew of 3 a handful of times.

However, I will say this: if you watch college games on TV, it is my observation that when here is a 1-on-1 matchup coming up for the floor, you will see 4 eyes on those 2 guys more often than 2 eyes only. It seems that the C does a lot of assisting the T as the ball is advancing up the floor up to the point that a regular offensive set begins. Judging by this observation alone, I have no problem with having another set of eyes in the backcourt at this time.
I certainly have a MAJOR problem with it. It is dead wrong because it leaves the L with EIGHT players to watch.

Sorry, but what you are seeing on TV is the old school way which is being eradicated. It is a detriment to the game to have the C out there ball-watching. If the T can't officiate 1-on-1 by himself, then he shouldn't be on the d@mn court!
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 09:47am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Nevada's right. That's something I was told to work on. The instinct as C is to hang back for a press, but when it's only 2, you should get down to your primary and help the L.