The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 16, 2005, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

I'm just starting out my umpiring "career" LOL and was hoping to get some insight and opinions on equipment.

What do you guys prefer in terms of chest protectors (i.e., Wilson Platinum/Gold, Gerry Davis, Honigs, etc.) and shin guards (i.e., double-knee, single-knee). I'm going to have to purchase all my equipment new and was wondering what insight you guys might have since I'm not too familiar with the different types. Which is more comfortable, what can't you live without, etc.?

Thanks for your input, guys.

Old Mon May 16, 2005, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to akalsey Send a message via Yahoo to akalsey
What level are you going to be working? That's going to have a lot to do with the gear you'll need. If you're doing youth ball, you don't need to invest nearly as much money as you do once you move to 90 foot bases.

I'm quite happy with my Honig's K1 protector and my K20 leg guards, although I bought my leg guards a bit too long. I wish I'd bought the 16s or maybe even the 15s instead of the 17s I have.

I recently bought the Tanel 360 plate shoes and I find them very comfortable. I always felt like I was wearing work books when wearing other plate shoes.

I also recently upgraded to the Wilson chrome mask and wraparound pads. The mask gives an incredible view and is very light -- you almost forget you're wearing it. It's a slightly lower profile than other masks, so taking if off without losing your cap takes a little extra practice.

The Ump Attire ball bag is a nice thing to have if you don't have a secure place to store your wallet and keys during a game. It has a zippered pocket on the back that holds extras like these. See http://www.ump-attire.com/Merchant2/...roduct_Count=2
Old Mon May 16, 2005, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueinLINY
I'm just starting out my umpiring "career" LOL and was hoping to get some insight and opinions on equipment.

What do you guys prefer in terms of chest protectors (i.e., Wilson Platinum/Gold, Gerry Davis, Honigs, etc.) and shin guards (i.e., double-knee, single-knee). I'm going to have to purchase all my equipment new and was wondering what insight you guys might have since I'm not too familiar with the different types. Which is more comfortable, what can't you live without, etc.?

Thanks for your input, guys.

When I was young I sold shoes in a shoe store as a part time job, and some folks just loved certain types of shoes and some folks loved completely opposite types of shoes. You have to decide what YOU like. However, if you think you want to advance you should buy good stuff to start with and not have to constantly upgrade. It also depends on the level of ball you will be doing. What I can't live without is some kind of underguarments designed to wick moisture away, UnderArmour, McDavid, etc to keep me cooler on hot days.
Old Mon May 16, 2005, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks to DG and AKA, so far. I will be doing both 60' and 90' so I would definitely go with the "more protection." And, Aka, thanks for the tip on the mask.

Frankly, DG, I never even thought of undergarments other than the obvious (cup) thanx for that.
Old Mon May 16, 2005, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Me....

Me.....

West Vest Platinum, Honigs's Deerskin Single Bar Mask, Honig's K30 guards, Spot-Bilt High (would like low or the new Honig's K80). I love Under Armour, have a small collection.

Any thoughts about having dedicated posts specifically for equipment, instead of having a new umpire every few weeks ask for our recommendations?
Old Mon May 16, 2005, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to akalsey Send a message via Yahoo to akalsey
If the search function was enabled, then people could find the old posts on their own. Of course they still wouldn't bother to search, but that's another matter.

I forgot about the undergarments. I'm 100% with DG here. I bought my first UnderArmour shirt this season after using some cheap Target-brand knockoffs before. The cheapies are now my wife's sleepshirts.

UnderArmour can make it feel like it's 10% cooloer than it really is. Since it gets well above 100 degrees here in July and August, that's important for me. I'd imagine the cold gear stuff works as well for those of you in cooler climates.

Strapping on my leg guards tonight, I noticed that they're 19" instead of 17" like I thought I had. No wonder they feel too big.
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

For me it is Wilson MLU, Easton Stealth helmet, Honig's K10 shin guards and the Honig's K90 high top shoes.

I also have the Underarmour shirts and compression shorts. I would not work a game without them.
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Since you are starting out, try out a hockey style mask. Most anyone who's tried them wouldn't go back. I'm partial to the all-star version.

UnderArmour is a MUST. That stuff rocks! Never leave home with out it.

The best piece of advice I can give you is to check ebay. You can get great deals on just about any umpire gear you need. You will get it for half of what you would pay retail.

The Ump-Attire ball bag is great. Love the pocket and it holds the balls nicely as well. Get one eventually.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates