The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Wanted some insight on responsibilites, mechanic's, techniques, etc of watching the scoreboard.

I glace to see if the clock running but little else.

Do you verify scores?
Watch team foul count acumulate?
Time outs remaining?

Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Check scoreboard every time something should happen and make sure it happens. Score, clock running or stopped, accumulated fouls. I prefer keeping time-outs from the table, unless I'm sure I've got a good timer. Don't use the AP arrow on the board -- be sure it's at the table. Remember, anything that's wrong on the scoreboard can be fixed as long as you have definite knowledge of what it should be. If you check at every change, you will have the definite knowledge you need to keep things accurate.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
Everything Juulie said is spot on, as usual.

I also check the scoreboard a bit more frequently at the end of periods as a way of anticpating what might occur. For example, a team down 1 with less than a minute to go is going to try to execute differently than a team down 3 or 5 with the same amount of time. Plus, it reminds to look to the coaches for possilbe timeouts.

I guess to address the mechanics point of your question, how you do it is really up to you. I always glance at the board after a made basket as I transition into my new position. Some of our gyms only have a scoreboard at one end, so that can change things, but do it the easiest way you can that doesn't take away from your ability to officiate the players.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Don't scoreboard-watch, but the it is good to know everything on the scoreboard for your own information. For example, you do need to watch the clock to see if it's running (or not) when it's supposed to be. It's nice to know the team foul count so when we get close to the 7th or 10th we will be ready to administer the proper FT's. Knowing the score is good for a variety of reasons. If you know A had 31 points, and there was a foot on the line on a 3-pt. shot, and you see the scoreboard now shows A has 34, you can get it corrected immediately. Also, if B is way ahead, you may need to watch A a little closer for frustration-type fouls. Or, late in the game, when A gets closer, you might want to watch for A fouling to stop the clock (which, of course, brings its own set of problems...). And, of course, being aware of the end of quarters and games can keep you being surprised when the horn does go off.

So, being aware of as much information as possible will help avoid some sticky situations. You would be surprised at how many officials don't even look.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 12:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

I think the more you are in tuned to the game, the less you have to really watch the scoreboard. The main thing I look at the scoreboard for is to see if the clock is running properly. I really do not pay that close of attention to the score while the ball is live. The scoreboard is primarily for the fans, not an official record. The more and more experience I have, the more and more I realize when we are in the bonus or when something is wrong on the scoreboard. Not all scoreboards have foul totals and points scored by a player on them. Many gyms just have the score, time and a light to indicate when we are in the bonus.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I think the more you are in tuned to the game, the less you have to really watch the scoreboard. The main thing I look at the scoreboard for is to see if the clock is running properly. I really do not pay that close of attention to the score while the ball is live. The scoreboard is primarily for the fans, not an official record.
Maybe it's b/c it's Halloween, maybe there's a full moon, maybe my meds have kicked in, but I agree completely with Rut

I will say that I try to keep on eye on the foul count if it's up there. But I couldn't care less if the score is correct on the scoreboard. If the game is close in the last 2 minutes, then I'm verifying the book at every timeout. If it's not close in the last 2 minutes, then I couldn't care less about the score on the board.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
I will say that I try to keep on eye on the foul count if it's up there. But I couldn't care less if the score is correct on the scoreboard.
I expect at the level you work, it's not usually a problem. At lower level games, you really have to watch closely. The table people are either new, completely indifferent, or busy with other things. If the scoreboard is wrong, it triggers parents and coaches (and sometimes players) to start yelling. Then even if the book was right to begin with, the bookkeeper gets confused. If you see that the scoreboard is wrong, you can get it fixed right away. If this happens a couple of times in the first quarter, or the first half, then when you're down to the wire, you've got the bugs out of the system. Assuming you have the same table people for the whole game.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
I will say that I try to keep on eye on the foul count if it's up there. But I couldn't care less if the score is correct on the scoreboard.
I expect at the level you work, it's not usually a problem. At lower level games, you really have to watch closely. The table people are either new, completely indifferent, or busy with other things. If the scoreboard is wrong, it triggers parents and coaches (and sometimes players) to start yelling. Then even if the book was right to begin with, the bookkeeper gets confused. If you see that the scoreboard is wrong, you can get it fixed right away. If this happens a couple of times in the first quarter, or the first half, then when you're down to the wire, you've got the bugs out of the system. Assuming you have the same table people for the whole game.
I'm with you. I'm a scoreboard watcher - also a clock watcher, shot clock watcher, possession arrow watcher, foul count watcher, table watcher, coach watcher, player watcher. Like you, I care that the scoreboard is correct, because if it's not then 1 of the crew will be responsible for fixing or not fixing it.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
I'm a scoreboard watcher - also a clock watcher, shot clock watcher, possession arrow watcher, foul count watcher, table watcher, coach watcher, player watcher.
Wow. Where do find time to be a cheerleader watcher?

Maybe it's just because I've started being anal about these things, but I hate being called over to the table because they screwed up on something. A bad table can make the floor officials look bad, even though they might not have anything to do with the mistake at all. It's so much more fun (ok, fun isn't the right word) to stop the clock and correct a shot clock, or tell the table it's two shots, not one-and-one. I think it sends a subtle message to the coaches and players that we're on top of things. I guess we all have our ways of handling it, whether it's scoreboard watching, or moving things around in your pocket to keep track of fouls ( ). I've worked with people who have no clue about time, number of fouls, who's ahead, etc. We have so much more responsibility than just focusing in on a player's pivot foot.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
If the scoreboard is wrong, it triggers parents and coaches (and sometimes players) to start yelling. Then even if the book was right to begin with, the bookkeeper gets confused.
As with the score on the board, I couldn't care less if the fans start yelling. If the scorer is confused and calls me over, then we sort it out. But usually, a scoreboard error is just b/c the guy on the clock didn't put up a point for a made FT, and it's very simple to correct, even at lower level games.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Quote:
I'm a scoreboard watcher - also a clock watcher, shot clock watcher, possession arrow watcher, foul count watcher, table watcher, coach watcher, player watcher.
Wow. Where do find time to be a cheerleader watcher?

I thought that's why they make us go out there a half hour before the game starts.
Quote:

I've worked with people who have no clue about time, number of fouls, who's ahead, etc. We have so much more responsibility than just focusing in on a player's pivot foot.
What's a pivot foot?
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What's a pivot foot?
It's like a pivot cheek.

Except with toes.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But usually, a scoreboard error is just b/c the guy on the clock didn't put up a point for a made FT, and it's very simple to correct, even at lower level games.
I guess I should start reffing in Massachusetts, instead of Oregon!!
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 04:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
The level has nothing to do with it. You cannot expect every bit of information is going to be correct all the time as it relates to the scoreboard. If something is wrong, I am not going to stop everything to correct it.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
The level has nothing to do with it. You cannot expect every bit of information is going to be correct all the time as it relates to the scoreboard. If something is wrong, I am not going to stop everything to correct it.
The level has a lot to do with it around here. MS games, some schools have a teacher or a committed parent, most have whoever they can drag in from the hallways, usually untrained, usually unhappy, usually unconcerned. At the varsity level, there's usually someone with some experience and some attention to detail.

If something IS wrong on the scoreboard, I don't stop everything to correct it (unless it has to do with the clock starting or stopping), but I'm sure going to be sure that it gets fixed asap. I DO expect every bit of information to be correct all the time, and I rely on that for my own keeping track. When it's off, I want it fixed.