The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
The gal that is doing the Varsity Games right now for my alma mater, has been doing it for the past 5-10 years at a minimum. She's doing a good job, except for not keeping up on the new Time-Out/Intermission rules/regulations on when to sound the buzzer. I've learned some things from her on how the table runs smoothly during games. I am doing what I can to slowly build up to doing Varsity contests as scoreboard/timer.

One of the reasonings behind doing the WIAA 4A Regionals last year, was that I had as a reference the AD who has seen/watched me work scoreboard/timer during the JV & C-Squad games. Also my knowing the facilities that were being used helped a bit, as well as my never give up/can do attitude.

During some of the JV & C-Squad games, I've had to wear multiple hats at once, Scoreboard/timer & crowd control at the same time.
Great, congratulations. How else can we help you in this OFFICIATING forum?
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Tadams, I've had a few of the floor officials actually mention it to me, that they prefer working with me cause of how I handle things at the table, & my professionalism. The person that does handle the Varsity Scoreboard/Timer has either a written or verbal agreement with the School Board or the School Board decided that since she likes kissing up that she should remain in the position.
Your performance / knowledge is only part of the equation. The other is your attitude and personality. Based on your posts here (and not just in this thread), I'd say you have a long way to go in this area.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 09:43am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I may have experience, but I'm also wanting to learn more. Like I mentioned in earlier postings, I have copies with me of the Instructions to Scorers & Timers with me, in case I do get jammed up somehow. I also am asking the floor officials questions if I do not understand something, or misinterpret.
That sounds great, but not my ultimate concern. All I want someone that is going to work with us and not try to interfere with you job. What you know might not be an issue. If you have a question, that is fine, but you must listen to us ultimately. Your job is to record, not make decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Your performance / knowledge is only part of the equation. The other is your attitude and personality. Based on your posts here (and not just in this thread), I'd say you have a long way to go in this area.
I am going to have to agree with Bob on this one.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 09:48am
Courageous When Prudent

One preference that I do have is that the scorekeeper and/or timer not think they know the rules better than we do.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 10:06am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
One preference that I do have is that the scorekeeper and/or timer not think they know the rules better than we do.
Amen. My problems with scorers have been one of two things.
1. Distracted teenagers who have better things to do.
2. Over-zealous young adults who think they know better than the officials.

Everything else, I can work with.