The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
and don't call a travel when a player makes a fast move or a good/unusual post move unless it is. I've seen too many of those called. for me too many refs call a travel because IT looks like a travel.
In all my years of going back and reviewing video tape of games, I will tell you that us referees MISS about 20 travel calls for every travel we call that is NOT a travel. 90% of the time a travel is called that is actually NOT a travel is on a "distance" travel -- i.e. a play in which a player covered a lot of ground even though the player used a legal number of steps.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 09:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"A little traveling music..." (Jackie Gleason)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanja View Post
Correctly calling traveling is just damn hard.
Agree. I think it's the hardest call to make correctly in basketball. Harder than the block/charge.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
If it looks like a duck, walks like duck, quacks like duck..............
What is the signal for a duck?
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
What is the signal for a duck?
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 07:30am
Esteemed Forum Member

Duck !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
What is the signal for duck?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 07:32am
Esteemed Forum Member

The "Kiss Your *** Goodbye" Drill ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I'm old enough to remember these drills. One involved sitting in the school hallway, backs to the lockers, with our heads between our legs.

Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Spin move travel tip

I have been watching a lot of D1 mens basketball and it is driving me crazy how the spin move travel is never called in any of the games I have watched. I have a really simple fool proof way of seeing this travel.

If the ball handler picks up his drible facing the basket and spins around so that he is facing the basket and jumps off two feet then it is a travel. This is impossible to do without travel. The players do this so fast it is difficult to realize the pivot foot has been lifted and placed back down again but it has. Picture the ball handler when he picks up his dribble, the inside foot toward the basket is his pivot foot. When he spins and then jumps off two feet, the inside foot becomes the outside foot as he jumps off two feet. It is a travel. In real time, you just need to realize that if the ball handler picks up his dribble facing the baset and spins around and jumps off two feet then it is a travel. Watch how many times this occurs in a D1 mens game!! I really have a problem when a travel occurs on a scoring move and is not called. This is a game changing play when it is not called by the rule.

Another pet peeve travel that occurs less often is on the inside pass where the big player gets an inside pass and needs to jump toward the baskent and then jump up and dunk the ball. An obvious travel that never gets called in D1 mens.

In the women's D1 game, there has been an emphasis on the spin move travel and it is rarely done without being whistled as a travel.