The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 03, 2009, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Ok, college guys, what's the real story?

I'm very perplexed as to how the college officials are calling PCF around the basket this year. From my watching (yes, I know I'm watching from the couch, I fully acknowledge this, and no, I don't have experience officiating D-I ball, but hey, this is a message board), block/charge is being called way differently than last year, and not just directly under the rim.

Have college officials been discouraged from calling charges in general? I've watched a lot of college ball so far this year, and maybe I'm just crazy but calls that I normally would have expected to be charges have ended up as blocks. Just the other night, a guy was set up on the block, LGP with the ballhandler a full stride and a half away. Bang, bang, and a block is called. I don't get it.

Anybody else seeing what I'm seeing? What are you being told by your interpreters? Is there any frustration at all at the new under-the-basket rule not being accompanied by some sort of reference line? It just doesn't make sense to me to make a rule like that and not draw a line for it. It's like erasing the OOB lines and making us start to guess when and where the ball goes OOB.
Old Thu Dec 03, 2009, 10:57am
Huck Finn

I think you are seeing growing pains as the NCAA (officiating) game continues to change from and art to a science. On one hand I think an arc, similar to what the NBA uses, is necessary. On the other hand I think it will add confusion to a situation that sorely needs consistency.

If the last 4-5 years had been focused on the science of officiating, the situation with the block/charge call under the basket wouldn't be as big of an issue.
Old Thu Dec 03, 2009, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
I think you are seeing growing pains as the NCAA (officiating) game continues to change from and art to a science. On one hand I think an arc, similar to what the NBA uses, is necessary. On the other hand I think it will add confusion to a situation that sorely needs consistency.

If the last 4-5 years had been focused on the science of officiating, the situation with the block/charge call under the basket wouldn't be as big of an issue.
Your answer was a bit more vague than what I was looking for. Are officials being instructed this year to call block/charge differently than before?

Also, how would an arc add confusion? Because of the secondary defender aspect?
Old Thu Dec 03, 2009, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Okay, you caught us. It's a conspiracy. And this one goes all the way to the top. I've got copies of super mega ultra top secret memos that explain the whole thing.

We'd have gotten away with it too, if weren't for you meddling kids!
Old Thu Dec 03, 2009, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Take this for what its worth...

[snipped from memo 11/30]

Items to be brought to your attention

I have noticed a large increase in incorrect blocking calls at or near the basket but NOT in the restricted area. Our officials seem to be defaulting to a blocking foul any time there is contact at or near the basket. If it is not a secondary defender "under the basket" the play is to be officiated like a basketball play.

[/snipped from memo 11/30]

I referee games no where near the level you see on TV but in my games I think the crews I've been on have done a good job of refereeing like we've always done while taking in consideration the new rule. It is definitely something that has been brought up in every pregame so for and we remind ourselves how tiny the restricted area is in reality.

I think the above should answer your second question in that no they are not being told to call it differently except when it comes to secondary defenders in the area - however it appears some are and the memo was sent out to address it. The above snippet wouldn't of come out had there been no reason for it so there may be something to your observation.
Old Thu Dec 03, 2009, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
Take this for what its worth...

I have noticed a large increase in incorrect blocking calls at or near the basket but NOT in the restricted area. Our officials seem to be defaulting to a blocking foul any time there is contact at or near the basket. If it is not a secondary defender "under the basket" the play is to be officiated like a basketball play.

I referee games no where near the level you see on TV but in my games I think the crews I've been on have done a good job of refereeing like we've always done while taking in consideration the new rule. It is definitely something that has been brought up in every pregame so for and we remind ourselves how tiny the restricted area is in reality.

I think the above should answer your second question in that no they are not being told to call it differently except when it comes to secondary defenders in the area - however it appears some are and the memo was sent out to address it. The above snippet wouldn't of come out had there been no reason for it so there may be something to your observation.
Ah interesting. Thanks for the info.
Old Thu Dec 03, 2009, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post

I agree with the memo. Carolina has already played more than a half dozen games and I'm seeing blocks called, anywhere within 6 or 7 feet of the rim. I have yet to see a PC foul on a drive to the basket.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
This new this year and might explain what you're seeing in these games. There was a similar rule for NCAAW that appeared a couple of years ago, but it was abandoned quickly.

NCAA rule 10-1

Art. 12. (Men) A secondary defender shall not establish initial legal guarding position under the basket when playing a player who is in control of the ball (i.e. dribbling or shooting) or who has released the ball for a pass or try for goal.

In establishing a position in any outnumbering fast break situation, a player shall not establish initial legal guarding position under the basket.

When illegal contact occurs, such contact shall be called a blocking foul, unless the contact is intentional or flagrant.
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
I have yet to see a PC foul on a drive to the basket.
FWIW I got one in my game last night .
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotto View Post
This new this year and might explain what you're seeing in these games. There was a similar rule for NCAAW that appeared a couple of years ago, but it was abandoned quickly.

NCAA rule 10-1

Art. 12. (Men) A secondary defender shall not establish initial legal guarding position under the basket when playing a player who is in control of the ball (i.e. dribbling or shooting) or who has released the ball for a pass or try for goal.

In establishing a position in any outnumbering fast break situation, a player shall not establish initial legal guarding position under the basket.

When illegal contact occurs, such contact shall be called a blocking foul, unless the contact is intentional or flagrant.
Lotto, we're well aware of the rule. That's the reason for the discussion. THe contention is that blocking is being called even when the defender is NOT under the basket and appears to have LGP.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith