The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
The first thing to learn, as a first year official, is NEVER use French on the discussion board. Latin, yes. French, NYET!
Freddy, Thanks. I fixed it above.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

This message board is extremely mild compared to many, so be glad you can actually find more useful content than not here. This place is where I learn the most about situations and the different ways to look at the rules.

What I find more annoying than the bantering are the lame attempts at humor and when threads become personal conversations way off topic. There are some people who think they are pretty self-important, but I generally ignore their posts. Overall this is an outstanding resource.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
This message board is extremely mild compared to many, so be glad you can actually find more useful content than not here. This place is where I learn the most about situations and the different ways to look at the rules.

What I find more annoying than the bantering are the lame attempts at humor and when threads become personal conversations way off topic. There are some people who think they are pretty self-important, but I generally ignore their posts. Overall this is an outstanding resource.

I liken it to a corner saloon where you have all types of patrons whose banter is fueled by drink, in our case anonymity, who freely express their views. I appreciate the diversity both in the personalities and the levels of officials here.

I've also noticed more civility towards new officials over the year, where in the past some were intimidating with their responses to the newbies.
I do miss Jurassic, who was always the voice of common sense to me and had alot to offer officials on any level.

Last edited by fullor30; Fri Dec 04, 2009 at 10:02am.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
The first thing to learn, as a first year official, is NEVER use French on the discussion board. Latin, yes. French, NYET!
De gustibus non est disputandum.

Maybe umpref intended his post for the baseball forum.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by umpref View Post
....I was a member here before, primarily in another sport. I left. Why?

Simply because it seems that there are many guys on here that want to play "gotcha" with loaded questions, or use mistakes in grammar to blast somebody as being wrong.

It seems that some around here (no, I will no start naming names) want to argue and nitpick, rather than discuss and educate.

I certainly know how easy it is to fall into the traps of playing "gotcha!" and flame wars. I have certainly been involved with my share of both on other BBS's.

I took a LONG break from BBS's (about a year....forever in internet terms...LOL) and just recently came back here to engage in discussions about basketball, which is a very new sport for me.

I gotta say, I am about ready to leave. It seems that almost every thread turns into a p i s s i n g match!

Guys, if your contributions, EVEN SOME OF THE TIME is nothing more than arguing against somebody, maybe you need a break from this! Seriously! If posting questions, then replying with "gotcha" is something you do more than say once every 3 months or so, maybe it is time for a break. You are obviously missing the spirit of what a BBS is about.

Really, it comes down to the "Golden Rule". Treat others the way you would like to be treated. Maybe as sports officials, I would challenge you to treat others BETTER than you would like to be treated, and BETTER THAN THEY DESERVE! Let's leave the baiting, heckling, and gamesmanship to the coaches! We are supposed to be a team, and not JUST on the field of play.

Can I get a AMEN?
Eat the meat and spit out the bones! Use what you can use and throw out the rest and dont take anything personal.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
I liken it to a corner saloon where you have all types of patrons whose banter is fueled by drink, in our case anonymity, who freely express their views. I appreciate the diversity both in the personalities and the levels of officials here.

I've also noticed more civility towards new officials over the year, where in the past some were intimidating with their responses to the newbies.
I do miss Jurassic, who was always the voice of common sense to me and had alot to offer officials on any level.
I agree. What makes this place interesting and useful is that it attracts so many different people, from different backgrounds, varying experience levels, with diverse philosophies. It's great to be able to pick so many different people's brains about actual situations or wacky what-ifs. I constantly learn things here, certainly from the veterans, but it's not uncommon to learn things from new officials too.

I like the people here as well. This place is unique, in my experience, as a place for officials to hang out. Officiating is a huge passion for me, but my real world opportunities to hang out with other officials is pretty limited. I know some locales have their local watering hole where officials gather after games. There's nothing like that here.

And yeah, the anonymity is both a blessing and a curse. People say things they wouldn't normally, and probably shouldn't, say. But it also gives me a chance to explore questions, philosophies, points of view, etc. that I wouldn't be able to in the real world without consequences.

And it reinforces my sense of self-importance (Sorry, Smitty, just had to run with that one a bit)
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 03:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
That is going to happen on any board where you have a solid group that is constantly contributing. I have noticed that here, but in other places. You must understand that some people here actually know each other and have known each other on the board (not including real life) for almost 10 years. That is just going to happen. Even the people here that I have had knock down drag out fights with, I have met personally at camps or were people that showed me support when I worked some big assignments. That will never go away even if you wanted it to. You just have to ignore like you said, or participate. At the end of the day, this is a good place to get some information you might not get in many places. But I would suggest that just like any advice, you verify it with the people you work for and take what you can use and throw out what you cannot.

I heard a person talk years ago about picking up pennies. If you can pick up a penny that helps you out and leave the rest there, you have accomplished something. That is all this place should be for most people. You are not going to learn everything about officiating by reading this board or any other board.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

I completely agree with you. I wouldn't expect anything to change on this board and the good far outweighs the bad. We are fortunate that there is rarely a need for a moderator to pull posts or deal with any flame wars. It could be A LOT worse, for sure.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 08:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Is His Name On Some Kind Of List ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref3808 View Post
I have an uncle who irritates me with his politics, offends me with his humor and can generally be a pain. I still invite him to dinner.
Does he try to "tickle" you?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 08:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

A Sobering Thought ...

Quote:
I liken it to a corner saloon where you have all types of patrons whose banter is fueled by drink, in our case anonymity, who freely express their views.
Liken? Hey. I only post on the Forum after I've had a few glasses of wine, or a six pack, or a few stiff drinks. You think that I would post while I was sober?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 08:49pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I must say Mr. Mack.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
You think that I would post while I was sober?
This does explain alot!
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 08:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Old Officials Never Die, They Just Switch Forums ...

Quote:
I do miss Jurassic, who was always the voice of common sense to me and had a lot to offer officials on any level.
He's still around:

Basketballrefs.com - View Profile: JurassicReferee

Classic line on his profile page: "JurassicReferee has not made any friends yet."

Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 08:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Dueling Latins ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
De gustibus non est disputandum.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Or better: Semper ubi sub ubi.

Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

My other favorite is: Quid quid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Or better: Semper ubi sub ubi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
My other favorite is: Quid quid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
Gentlemen, please stop these. My Rosetta Stone Latin free trial edition has not yet arrived (not that it would be particularly useful for these phrases).