The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 03, 2009, 08:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Don't throw out the baby with the bath water.

umpref: There's a lot of great advice on this Forum. Just ignore anything that you find offensive. And even if your treated disrespectfully, be the bigger man, and treat those posters with respect, whether they deserve it, or not. That's what I do. I kill them with kindness, and, images, lots of images.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Dec 03, 2009, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

I respectfully disagree ...

I'm a rookie, I'm too young to join pissing contests, and I don't know enough to contribute that much here. But, where else can I get home from a game at 9:00PM from a game, post a question from the game, and get an answer from several experts before I go to bed.

I understand that it can get contentious here, but overall this board is a great resource that makes anyone who reads a better ref. Criticize all you want, but if I get good answers I'll keep reading.

Last edited by rsl; Thu Dec 03, 2009 at 08:58pm.
Old Thu Dec 03, 2009, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

I take these forums with a grain of salt. I learn a heck of a lot from them but I don't let the arguments bother me. I take what I can and give what I can and don't let the rest bother me. It's like TV. I can always turn the channel by moving on to another thread. Most people in here are good-hearted people who want to learn more about officiating and improve their game. I never take it personal in here.

No big deal. Have a good day. Kumbaya. Sideline warning, no yardage.
Old Thu Dec 03, 2009, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post
I'm a rookie, I'm too young to join pissing contests, and I don't know enough to contribute that much here. But, where else can I get home from a game at 9:00PM from a game, post a question from the game, and get an answer from several experts before I go to bed.

I understand that it can get contentious here, but overall this board is a great resource that makes anyone who reads a better ref. Criticize all you want, but if I get good answers I'll keep reading.
I agree. As a 2nd year ref I utilize the forum the same way and found it very helpful during my rookie year. Ask the question the right way and I found the replies from the vets to be extremely helpful whether the question was about a rule sitch or a question on mechanics and positioning.
Regarding the point raised in the OP...while my lack of experience and mastery of the rules and the case book would obviously keep me out of engaging in the type of discussion the poster refers to... what I do find frustrating is that someone posts a sitch which lets say has to with POI. The "gotcha" type stuff at time gets so bad you never learn (as a newbie) the correct way to handle the sitch should it ever occur in one of your games.
It gets lost in all the "squabbling"....so I always appreciate it when one of the "cooler heads" prevail and brings the conversation back to point...based on specific rule book/case book references.
That said, I do enjoy the forum and continue to learn from the experience of others.
Old Thu Dec 03, 2009, 10:11pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
rockyroad: Please take me off your ignore list. I occasionally have a few pertinent things to say. Not very often, but, occasionally.
What?? What did he say?? Did you guys hear anything?
Old Thu Dec 03, 2009, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

With all due respect

First of all, welcome back.

Second, if this place is useful to you, then by all means please participate and contribute.

Third, please don't be yet another ungrateful whiner who tries to refashion the forum after his or her own Utopian ideal.

If you want to be part of this community, then be part of it. If you don't, then don't. Either way, it won't cost you a dime. But we are what we are; don't expect us to change for you.

Can I get an AMEN?
Old Thu Dec 03, 2009, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
umpref: There's a lot of great advice on this Forum. Just ignore anything that you find offensive. And even if your treated disrespectfully, be the bigger man, and treat those posters with respect, whether they deserve it, or not. That's what I do. I kill them with kindness, and, images, lots of images.
How's that 12 step program working for you, Billy?
Old Thu Dec 03, 2009, 11:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by back in the saddle View Post
first of all, welcome back.

Second, if this place is useful to you, then by all means please participate and contribute.

Third, please don't be yet another ungrateful whiner who tries to refashion the forum after his or her own utopian ideal.

If you want to be part of this community, then be part of it. If you don't, then don't. Either way, it won't cost you a dime. But we are what we are; don't expect us to change for you.

Can i get an amen?
amen
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

Personally I've been viewing this forum for nearly five years and been a member for over two years. I love how the rules and philosophy are discussed from every and all angles. Yes, there are some "pissing matches" every now and then, but generally, you can find some good points in these arguments and add them to repertoire and ignore the rest/what doesn't work for you.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 03:13am
Official Forum Member

I take it you never visited McGriff's Refonline? Oy.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 06:01am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
Can I get an AMEN?
Amen brother BITS!
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 06:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
First of all, welcome back.

Third, please don't be yet another ungrateful whiner who tries to refashion the forum after his or her own Utopian ideal.

Can I get an AMEN?
Amen!
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

Umpref:

I'm a first year official, so I mostly just ask questions or read current threads.

I read three boards at least once every day and sometimes multiple times each day:

1. A Quality Forum

2. A Myrtle Beach Golf Forum

3. This Forum

What do they have in common? Lots of very knowledeable people who are willing to share their expertise, for free. None of them are perfect, not all of the stuff is terrific or on topic, but all three consistently give me a reason to read.

If certain people bother you that much, put them on ignore. I know that some posters are not to my taste, but "so ist das Leben"

Last edited by dsqrddgd909; Fri Dec 04, 2009 at 07:40am.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

This is my first year and I find this board is always informative, sometimes amusing, and yes every once in a while you read a reply that makes you say OUCH. These boards are communities, some might say families. I have an uncle who irritates me with his politics, offends me with his humor and can generally be a pain. I still invite him to dinner.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 07:35am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
Umpref:
I'm a first year official . . . I know that some posters are not to my taste, but "C'est la vie".
The first thing to learn, as a first year official, is NEVER use French on the discussion board. Latin, yes. French, NYET!