Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaref View Post
I wonder what Nevada would say on this
NFHS Rules:
Once two officials give conflicting foul signals on such a play, then the crew MUST go with a double personal foul and resume at the POI per Case Book 4.19.8 Situation C.
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 01:07am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
NFHS Rules:
Once two officials give conflicting foul signals on such a play, then the crew MUST go with a double personal foul and resume at the POI per Case Book 4.19.8 Situation C.
But, as we all know from our reading, this is paraphrased. The word signal does not appear in the above mentioned case. Neither does the word must.

I have a new question on this subject. Double whistle. Neither official gives a preliminary signal, but they have opposite opinions of the play. Each is positive that he is correct. Is it ok to go with a blarge if this happens?

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 03:44am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Later on, the tape clearly shows the L giving the PC signal. As it turns out, the player from A that drove the lane would've fouled out on that play, and that same player makes the game-winning shot a few moments later.
But the tape also shows that the block was the correct call, so it would have been a shame had that player needlessly been charged with a foul.

Quote:
Assignor calls both officials and asks first why there were 2 different calls, and second, why did you not report 2 fouls, like the rule states?
There were not two calls. L made the PC signal by mistake.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

JAR: you don't have to change your mind, but you're not convincing anyone.

Everyone else: you're not convincing JAR.

We don't need to rehash this.
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 10:00am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
But, as we all know from our reading, this is paraphrased. The word signal does not appear in the above mentioned case. Neither does the word must.

I have a new question on this subject. Double whistle. Neither official gives a preliminary signal, but they have opposite opinions of the play. Each is positive that he is correct. Is it ok to go with a blarge if this happens?
Blocks and charges (player control) get preliminary signals at the spot of the foul according to the NFHS manual, I believe (don't have it with me). So I'm thinking this case play was written with that in mind.

I just don't understand the resistance to following what the NHFS wants in this specific situation. NCAA-M have the rule/case written the same as NFHS. NCAA-W has written the rule specifically to go with the call of the primary official. Why can't we just accept that we should call it the way the respective governing bodies want to us to call it?

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Nov 18, 2009 at 11:03am.
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 10:26am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I'm still curious as to which reasoning you think the committee had when writing this case play.
1. Was it written for the beligerent a$$es who won't concede to one another.
2. Was it written for the odd case where both officials report their respective fouls without knowing about the other?
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I'm still curious as to which reasoning you think the committee had when writing this case play.
1. Was it written for the beligerent a$$es who won't concede to one another.
2. Was it written for the odd case where both officials report their respective fouls without knowing about the other?
I mentioned my theory - the committee wants to make correcting an official's screw-up onerous enough that officials will be less likely to do it again.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 10:37am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
I mentioned my theory - the committee wants to make correcting an official's screw-up onerous enough that officials will be less likely to do it again.
On this particular play, I think it's because B/C calls are tense enough anyway; giving prelims for both sides is just asking for trouble when you retract one. Just think about the time you gave the wrong prelim and went with the other call; now imagine the blarge situation and the reaction from the coach who gets the short end of this call.

I think your theory has merit, too, and may have factored into it.
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaref View Post
I'm sure at our "get together" either I or my partner will learn that the other had the better look. A preliminary signal is no more a binding irreversible ruling than an out of bounds call.
Ummm...then you will be kicking a rule.
Old Thu Nov 19, 2009, 02:10am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
I posted it somewhere at least once before. The first time this case was brought to my attention, I thought the whole point was to emphasize that the shot could count since the foul by the offense was not a player control foul due to the fact that it was a part of a double foul. But, I went on to wonder, if this was their intent, why would they not make the case something which could actually happen:

B1 reaches across and whacks A1 on the arm while A1 simultaneously pushes off with the other arm.

I am assured by most that this was not the intent. So, what was it? To call attention to the fact that one official got a call wrong, and subsequently make that wrong call stand rather than give the officials a chance to decide which call was right? Furthermore, the idea that the whole deal hinges on the preliminary signals would never have occurred to me.

So, while we're on the subject........

I have asked this before, but I don't recall ever getting an answer.

Play in your primary. Contact. You have an obvious blocking foul call. You go up with a fist, but hearing your partner's whistle, hold the prelim signal.
Partner comes in, emphatically making his PC signal.

What do you do?

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Nov 19, 2009, 02:25am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
...... now imagine the blarge situation and the reaction from the coach who gets the short end of this call.
A coach who tends to be reactive tends to have a big reaction to getting the short end of this call whether another signal was made or not.

Picture this. Had this call twice tonight. BV Kid drives hard to the basket, makes some kind of little stutter step move, travels, then gets clobbered by the defense. I called the travel both times. Pretty good reaction from the coach and the fans. Suppose my partner had reached out and whistled the foul on this play? Bigger reaction from the coach probably.

Partner: My bad, Coach. His call, not mine.

And we move on.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Nov 19, 2009, 08:37am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Play in your primary. Contact. You have an obvious blocking foul call. You go up with a fist, but hearing your partner's whistle, hold the prelim signal.

What do you do?
Let him have the call and then have a very lengthy post-game.
Old Thu Nov 19, 2009, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have asked this before, but I don't recall ever getting an answer.

What do you do?
Play in your primary. Defender flops. No contact at all. Partner blows whistle and comes in, emphatically making his PC signal. What do you do?

Same answer to both plays.
Old Thu Nov 19, 2009, 10:21am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

What do you do?
Same thing my partner did to me in the one of my first varsity games: let him have the call and discuss later.

I knew immediately that we'd talk about it later. He was a great partner (I've moved since) and teacher.
Old Thu Nov 19, 2009, 07:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Thanks ...

Quote:
He was a great partner and teacher.
Snaqwells: Thanks for the compliment, but I don't remember the play.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)