The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Here's a real-life play that fortunately did NOT happen to me. It was told to me by my partner tonight. How should this be handled?

3-whistle crew. Drive starts from C's primary, goes to the basket and there is contact on C's side of the basket. L and C both have whistles. C simply points "that way" for the PC foul, while L sells the heck out of the blocking call. C sees the strong call and drops his signal, giving up the call to the L.

You as the T see both signals and know that the C had the right call. Do you get the crew together and say "we have to go with the blarge"? Or do you let the L take it in order to keep the game smooth and not look like doofuses out there? Does it make a difference if the defensive coach saw the C point the "other way"? If the defensive coach didn't see it, are we screwing him just b/c he's not squawking?

What would you do in the sitch?
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Hey, Chuck, you're up kinda late. Got some adrenaline and endorphins to work off?
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Curtis Shaw was the trail in the NCAA Regional Championship game 5 years ago between Iowa State and Michigan State when the same thing happened. The C and L came together and one was going to drop. Curtis said "No guys, we can't do it. It's a double foul."

If he can do it in that situation, I gotta believe I have to do the same.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Yeah, I would say both need to be reported. Thank god I have never had one of these!!!!
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Curtis Shaw was the trail in the NCAA Regional Championship game 5 years ago between Iowa State and Michigan State when the same thing happened. The C and L came together and one was going to drop. Curtis said "No guys, we can't do it. It's a double foul."

If he can do it in that situation, I gotta believe I have to do the same.
I didn't remember that. Wish I'd known it when the story was told to me.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Hey, Chuck, you're up kinda late. Got some adrenaline and endorphins to work off?
Well, I didn't get home until 10:30 and had a soda on the way home. So I can stay up for another hour or so; or I can go to sleep right away, but walk to the bathroom at 3 am.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Can we please never mention the ISU-Michigan State game again? As a loyal Cyclone, that call was a kick to the...well you get the point. It fouled out our starting center and MSU went on a run to win. I really wish those guys would have put their fists up and made eye contact on this play, but of course I don't blame the officials for the loss. It was just a very tough call in a game that could have really meant A LOT to our basketball program that year. I'm 99% sure, had we gotten past Michigan State, we would have won the title. At that point of the season, MSU was about the only team I could have seen matching up with us. Anyway, thanks for bringing it up, I'll be driving the car into the garage tonight, shutting the door, and letting the engine run.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
Can we please never mention the ISU-Michigan State game again? As a loyal Cyclone, that call was a kick to the...well you get the point. It fouled out our starting center and MSU went on a run to win. I really wish those guys would have put their fists up and made eye contact on this play, but of course I don't blame the officials for the loss. It was just a very tough call in a game that could have really meant A LOT to our basketball program that year. I'm 99% sure, had we gotten past Michigan State, we would have won the title. At that point of the season, MSU was about the only team I could have seen matching up with us. Anyway, thanks for bringing it up, I'll be driving the car into the garage tonight, shutting the door, and letting the engine run.
One loss, and you're ruined? Sorry, I don't buy it. Greatness will out, as the saying goes.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
Can we please never mention the ISU-Michigan State game again?
Ok, I will promise to never mention that game to you.

How about Hampton/ISU, first round 2001 NCAA tournament, 15-seed vs. 2-seed?

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Thanks M&M, you're really improving my day! Rainmaker, it was a huge loss for our program. It would have taken us to our first ever final four which could have made a big difference in the quality of players we could recruit.