The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 10:08am
M.A.S.H.

The Blarge

Ok. It certainly didn't happen to me (knock on wood). Also, we all agree the best way to avoid it is to have a good pre-game, etc.

However... say you have one. The casebook clearly defines what happens etc for a succuessful goal.

I'm having a little trouble understanding the ruling following a missed attempt. I suppose it's because I've been told this is the way it's handled. I was told that if you have a blarge on an unsuccessful try you have a double foul, but you give it back to the team who shot the ball. I'm having a hard time understanding that since it would be a double foul and you would go POI. In which, under the POI there would be no team control i.e. go AP.

Thanks for your help.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 10:24am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
Ok. It certainly didn't happen to me (knock on wood). Also, we all agree the best way to avoid it is to have a good pre-game, etc.

However... say you have one. The casebook clearly defines what happens etc for a succuessful goal.

I'm having a little trouble understanding the ruling following a missed attempt. I suppose it's because I've been told this is the way it's handled. I was told that if you have a blarge on an unsuccessful try you have a double foul, but you give it back to the team who shot the ball. I'm having a hard time understanding that since it would be a double foul and you would go POI. In which, under the POI there would be no team control i.e. go AP.

Thanks for your help.
Who told you that?

If there is no possession, then you go to the AP arrow just like any other situation before the rule was changed. You only go to POI when possession is clear or the ball goes in the basket on things like double and simultaneous fouls.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

It's not that hard. A double foul goes to POI. POI gives it back to the team in possession. So, was there possession? If A1 had the ball when the blarge occured, POI would give it back to A. If the shot was in the air when the blarge occured, and it went in the basket, you would also go to POI, which is giving the ball to B for an endline throw-in. If the shot is no good, you would use the AP arrow, because there was no team possession on a shot.

Sounds like whoever told you this might understand it less than you already do.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 10:51am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
It's not that hard. A double foul goes to POI. POI gives it back to the team in possession. So, was there possession? If A1 had the ball when the blarge occured, POI would give it back to A. If the shot was in the air when the blarge occured, and it went in the basket, you would also go to POI, which is giving the ball to B for an endline throw-in. If the shot is no good, you would use the AP arrow, because there was no team possession on a shot.

Sounds like whoever told you this might understand it less than you already do.
Yeah, I'd say so. Well, this is what I thought and then I had this "ruling" told to me and I didn't think it was right. Just wanted to double check I didn't miss something in the case book, because I looked 3 or 4 times!
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 01:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
Yeah, I'd say so. Well, this is what I thought and then I had this "ruling" told to me and I didn't think it was right. Just wanted to double check I didn't miss something in the case book, because I looked 3 or 4 times!
Don't fret, Tanner. You have it right.