The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Has Joe Forte treated the NBA replacements refs in the Big South fairly?
Yes 27 52.94%
No 24 47.06%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 18, 2009, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Shame on Ncaambref

Ncaambbref: From the complete lack of valid information in your claims and tone of your complaints, you're clearly inadequate yourself and feel the need to start throwing punches to take the attention off of your own inability. Instead of spending your energy blaming people with completely baseless accusations, spend some time looking at yourself and instead find ways to better yourself as a human being. You would clearly benefit from it.

Shame on you.
Old Sun Oct 18, 2009, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaambbref View Post
Who cares what my name is...that is NOT the issue here. I have a pair when I have my whistle in my mouth...that's for sure! LOL
Wow - looks like someone has some serious emasculation issues. Maybe this is why there is such controversy with refereeing these days!
Old Sun Oct 18, 2009, 10:02pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Wow, look at all these people registering just to vote in this poll never to be heard from again. Including the OP.

I don't consider the NBA officials to be part of some brotherhood, to be honest. Personally, I would prefer if NASO and other national organizations put some everyday HS and small college people in their leadership rather than a bunch of names who forget what it's like to drive 100+ miles to work a $55 game in front of 500 people.

Last edited by Rich; Sun Oct 18, 2009 at 10:04pm.
Old Sun Oct 18, 2009, 10:12pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottalovebball View Post
Ncaambbref: From the complete lack of valid information in your claims and tone of your complaints, you're clearly inadequate yourself and feel the need to start throwing punches to take the attention off of your own inability. Instead of spending your energy blaming people with completely baseless accusations, spend some time looking at yourself and instead find ways to better yourself as a human being. You would clearly benefit from it.

Shame on you.
Personal attacks on me do not change the FACTS!!!

This has NOTHING to do with my ability as a referee. For all yo uknow, I could be in the SEC, Big East, or any other D1 conference. I am voicing my opinion on a situation that again is unfair to those who are working the lockout and were at one point BS referees. Forte excercised his personal agenda against them...plain and simple. Your personal attacks on me matter not.

If Forte had nto treated these guys as he did, we would not have this thread!
Old Sun Oct 18, 2009, 10:15pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Wow, look at all these people registering just to vote in this poll never to be heard from again. Including the OP.

I don't consider the NBA officials to be part of some brotherhood, to be honest. Personally, I would prefer if NASO and other national organizations put some everyday HS and small college people in their leadership rather than a bunch of names who forget what it's like to drive 100+ miles to work a $55 game in front of 500 people.
I do not disagree with you. I may not ever post again on another topic, but I am a regular reader. I felt this issue should be brought up...but it's okay if people want to personally attack me. These are the same guys who the NBA did not call and feel some debt to NBA officials. Why? They don't care about NCAA or HS referees.
Old Sun Oct 18, 2009, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Re: ncaambbref's lack of education

Wow.

So all of this uproar over a posting from someone with AT MOST a 10th grade education?

"...unprofessional treatment that is being displayed on and to some of your officials..."

Now I may not be an English professor, but I am pretty sure you cannot display treatment, of any kind, "on" a human being.

Only an insecure, shallow, small minded, feeble little man-child would post a message like this on a forum without a signature.

Joe Forte is one of the best officials the NBA has ever had, and if there is any justice in this world, officiating in the NBA will forever remain an unattainable dream for people like you.

I hope you get what you deserve - and that is a lifetime of officiating girls Junior High basketball games in lower Alabama for the rest of your miserable life.

Sincerely,

Todd Johnson
67 Feeble Little Man-Child Street
Insecure, CO 22222
Old Sun Oct 18, 2009, 10:19pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjohnson65 View Post
Wow.

So all of this uproar over a posting from someone with AT MOST a 10th grade education?

"...unprofessional treatment that is being displayed on and to some of your officials..."

Now I may not be an English professor, but I am pretty sure you cannot display treatment, of any kind, "on" a human being.

Only an insecure, shallow, small minded, feeble little man-child would post a message like this on a forum without a signature.

Joe Forte is one of the best officials the NBA has ever had, and if there is any justice in this world, officiating in the NBA will forever remain an unattainable dream for people like you.

I hope you get what you deserve - and that is a lifetime of officiating girls Junior High basketball games in lower Alabama for the rest of your miserable life.

Sincerely,

Todd Johnson
67 Feeble Little Man-Child Street
Insecure, CO 22222

Thanks for your well wishes. Yeah...officials are a brotherhood? NOT.
Old Sun Oct 18, 2009, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

one more thing...

...you mention that personal attacks on you do not change the facts. Funny thing is that you offer no facts. Only your clearly biased opinion.
Old Sun Oct 18, 2009, 10:26pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjohnson65 View Post
...you mention that personal attacks on you do not change the facts. Funny thing is that you offer no facts. Only your clearly biased opinion.
Facts:

* Forte sent out an email to staffers requesting the names of those who were working the lockout. (I doubt that ANY other coordinator did this)

* No one working the lockout received games this year even though they received games last year.

* Some lockout refs requested to miss the Big South clinic and were granted permission.

* Forte is a convicted felon for tax evasion - disputes the integrity claim.

* Forte served his time by being on HOME INCARCERATION for several months.

* The NBA grants Forte permission to be a supervisor in the first place - outside employment MUST be approved.

* The Big South has contacted several affected officials in THEIR investigation PRIOR to this thread!

Those are the FACTS!!!
Old Sun Oct 18, 2009, 10:33pm
In Time Out

I never said that Joe was not a good official...which he clearly is. He is historic as a matter of fact in a very good way. But he has exercised POOR judgment in how he is treating a certain group of officials due to his personal bias.

Joe clearly knows this thread is going on, so why doesn't he come on here and clear the air? Since I have no balls according to some, where are his? He knows what he has done and he knows it is wrong...no matter how he tries to defend his actions.
Old Sun Oct 18, 2009, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

FACTS:

1. Actually, many coordinators did what you allege Joe did. Some instituted a drop dead date by which the officials had to chose the NBA or NCAA. In the emails you reference, he also asked every one of them for their closed dates so he could work around their dates, but guess what, they don't know their availability yet because the NBA has not assigned the regular season! What assignor do you know allows an official to not know his availability and assigns games to him anyway??

2. They are independent contractors and are not guaranteed games day to day, let alone season to season. So what they received last year means absolutely nothing.

3. They don't need to be granted permission to not attend his clinic. They are independent contractors and can do what they please. However they made a choice not to attend while others sacrificed their time to be there and showed a commitment to the big south.

4. Joe Forte's past has absolutely nothing to do with this and for you to drag that out is irresponsible and childish. Referring to the irrelevant past is what one does when his argument lacks credibility. Joe Forte has more integrity than anyone that would post anonymously on a message board and attack his character and try to jeopardize what he's worked 20+ years to establish.

You obviously have no clue what Joe has done for young officials OR you're not will to acknowledge it because it kills your argument against him. Joe has multiple camps a summer where he hardly charges any money. He stays in the gym everyday at those camps all day long working with young officials. He WORKS with them. He doesn't walk around for 30 mins like some supervisors and leave. He is there for the first game in the morning and leaves the last game at night. He has had nba management to his camps to get young officials a look. He has always worked hard to get young officials as many games as possible and help them advance. Everyone knows how much Joe helps young officials.

It's a shame that someone like yourself who obviously knows the sacrifices officials have to make would try to bring down someone who has given back so much to officiating.

Last edited by bb_ref; Mon Oct 19, 2009 at 09:27am.
Old Sun Oct 18, 2009, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When your job is to assign referees for ball games you get to pick whatever person you want, plain and simple.
Not in all conferences. I know of one high profile conference who fired or didn't renew the contract of a supervisor of officials who didn't assign the conference tournament to the commish's liking.

If I were the conference commissioner, I would call the supervisor and say something like, "while you are the supervisor and you were hired to exercise your discretion, if I find out you were using any criteria other than the quality of officiating -- based on your own criteria -- for assigning officials, you will be terminated. Obviously, your discretion is reviewable, but generally in a long term sense."

Quote:
Some instituted a drop dead date by which the officials had to chose the NBA or NCAA.
Absolutely nothing wrong with this. I really don't want officials working both NBA and NCAA games in the same season -- or at least, same stretch. But termination -- i.e. not allowing them back at any point -- would not be considered.

Last edited by Texas Aggie; Sun Oct 18, 2009 at 11:19pm.
Old Mon Oct 19, 2009, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Have you noticed how the maturity level here has risen so sharply lately?
Old Mon Oct 19, 2009, 06:43am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
Have you noticed how the maturity level here has risen so sharply lately?
I will apologize for some of my comments. I let some of the people on here get to me...then I realized, why should I care about personal attacks when they really aren't personal because NONE of you on here know who I am, just as I do not know who any of you are or what leagues you officiate. Some have criticized my officiating ability when you have NO idea what leagues I work at all. That in itself is funny. I could be in the Big East or just a JuCo guy...you NEVER know. ANd yes, I could be working the lockout too! Speculate all you want...

Again, I pointed out what I felt was unfair treatment, regardless if people agree with me or not. Obviously, some do. Obviously, those who are in the Big South know what I have alleged is true. Why else would the NBA and the Big South contact those who were affected to investigate the situation?

It is clear that some have a loyalty connection with Forte and that is fine. But loyalty is a ONE way street. As soon as some of those who are LOYAL to Forte misapply a rule or are late to a game or do something eles, let's see how far that loyalty card takes them. They would more than likely be punished for their actions just as Forte should be punished for his!

Reagrdless of one's personal feelings toward the replacement refs, the game of basketball is bigger than anyone of us. And there will ALWAYS be referees who will gladly step in our shoes, even if YOU may not be one of them.

Forte abused his power as the coordinator of the Big South and this my fellow officials, MUST be addressed!!!
Old Mon Oct 19, 2009, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

I'm with Tony: how on earth did the forum come to be the place for this little dog-and-pony show? Can't you weasels get a little chat room somewhere to yell at each other about the "facts?"