View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 18, 2009, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When your job is to assign referees for ball games you get to pick whatever person you want, plain and simple.
Not in all conferences. I know of one high profile conference who fired or didn't renew the contract of a supervisor of officials who didn't assign the conference tournament to the commish's liking.

If I were the conference commissioner, I would call the supervisor and say something like, "while you are the supervisor and you were hired to exercise your discretion, if I find out you were using any criteria other than the quality of officiating -- based on your own criteria -- for assigning officials, you will be terminated. Obviously, your discretion is reviewable, but generally in a long term sense."

Quote:
Some instituted a drop dead date by which the officials had to chose the NBA or NCAA.
Absolutely nothing wrong with this. I really don't want officials working both NBA and NCAA games in the same season -- or at least, same stretch. But termination -- i.e. not allowing them back at any point -- would not be considered.

Last edited by Texas Aggie; Sun Oct 18, 2009 at 11:19pm.