The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 25, 2009, 07:25pm
Archaic Power Monger

Here, we switch only on shooting fouls. The calling official will go to table-side trail.
Old Sun Oct 25, 2009, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

I've only had one game with it but I didn't like the change for the following reasons:
1. Harder to see subs
2. Talking or listening (or trying to ignore) a coach when I should be focused elsewhere on FT administration issues.
3. I had to T up a coach for being jackass about something I would have never heard had I been across the way.
4. Just felt awkward being that close to the bench and trying to watch for violations, count, etc.
JMO
Old Sun Oct 25, 2009, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Luke: I know exactly what switching is. The old mechanic was that officials switch on every foul. That is no longer the mechanic, which was my main point to Welpe.
Then you want to say that the calling official always becomes the trail official if there are free throws. Being table side or opposite doesn't have anything to do with switching.
Old Mon Oct 26, 2009, 06:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
Then you want to say that the calling official always becomes the trail official if there are free throws. Being table side or opposite doesn't have anything to do with switching.
The new mechanic entails that we no longer switch on every foul. Under the new mechanic if I'm trail and call a shooting foul, we won't switch. If I'm lead we will.

I generally know what I want to say and post accordingly, but thanks for participating.
Old Wed Nov 04, 2009, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev View Post
I've only had one game with it but I didn't like the change for the following reasons:
1. Harder to see subs
2. Talking or listening (or trying to ignore) a coach when I should be focused elsewhere on FT administration issues.
3. I had to T up a coach for being jackass about something I would have never heard had I been across the way.
4. Just felt awkward being that close to the bench and trying to watch for violations, count, etc.
JMO
I have my first game on Monday but I'm thinking the same thing. With the old rule I'm facing the table and can look for subs sitting in front of table or last second subs running up to the table, and see other activity at or near table. (ever have a scorer not use the horn quick enough for subs?) With new rule my back is to the table and I could have comments coming from who knows where...coach, player, parent...and I can't ID the joker. This might even make it more inviting for "unfavorable" comments from the peanut gallery. In most cases communication is fine and most civil discussions happen during dead balls.
I don't get it but I'll adjust. Would like to get opinions on this in February.
Old Thu Nov 05, 2009, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Henry View Post
I have my first game on Monday but I'm thinking the same thing. With the old rule I'm facing the table and can look for subs sitting in front of table or last second subs running up to the table, and see other activity at or near table. (ever have a scorer not use the horn quick enough for subs?) With new rule my back is to the table and I could have comments coming from who knows where...coach, player, parent...and I can't ID the joker. This might even make it more inviting for "unfavorable" comments from the peanut gallery. In most cases communication is fine and most civil discussions happen during dead balls.
I don't get it but I'll adjust. Would like to get opinions on this in February.
It's not a problem in 3-person; it won't be a problem in 2-person (or if there is a problem, it won't be casued by the mechanic).
Old Thu Nov 05, 2009, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

I have not had a problem with this new mech. First half of the game the coach is wanting to choke you. Second half, he is giving you massages.