The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   New Two Person rotation? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55013-new-two-person-rotation.html)

jritchie Wed Oct 14, 2009 01:35pm

New Two Person rotation?

What does everyone think of the new way they want us to rotate doing a 2-person crew? We try to do every game 3 person here in Ky, but their will be the occasion where we will have to do 2 and I think it will just be confusing. Especially having to go to the opposite side as the lead during a free throw.

JRutledge Wed Oct 14, 2009 01:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jritchie (Post 630915)
What does everyone think of the new way they want us to rotate doing a 2-person crew? We try to do every game 3 person here in Ky, but their will be the occasion where we will have to do 2 and I think it will just be confusing. Especially having to go to the opposite side as the lead during a free throw.

What rotations have changed? The only thing I know that has changed is the lead going opposite table on a FT, but that is not a rotation (live ball movement), that is a switch (dead ball movement).

Peace

Ch1town Wed Oct 14, 2009 01:39pm

In CO the calling official that becomes the new T/C will go opposite in both 2 & 3 person games.

Vinski Wed Oct 14, 2009 01:50pm

Personally, I don’t think it’s a big deal. In three-man the reporting official stays table side, why not in two-man as well. I think it will actually let the movement of the officials work more smoothly during a free-throw situation. As far as being in closer proximity to coaches; we are the same way with three-man. If a coach wants a question answered, it’s actually simpler this way. If the coach wants to give me crap, I don’t have to walk as far to report the T. My biggest concern will be remembering to go opposite table as lead. After a few games, it’ll sink in.

It doesn’t matter to me either way.

tjones1 Wed Oct 14, 2009 02:11pm

I've worked two nights of basketball now. It's a little odd being trail and being table side...or for that matter lead and being opposite table. But with time I'm sure it will become more comfortable.

That is if they don't change it again... ;)

jritchie Wed Oct 14, 2009 02:13pm

Just hard to sink in when you go back and forth between 2 and 3 person night in and night out. It was just an bad change I think, don't like it at all. Tried working in our girls junior high games the last couple weeks and hate it, but like everything else, will get used to it I guess.

Da Official Wed Oct 14, 2009 02:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jritchie (Post 630928)
Just hard to sink in when you go back and forth between 2 and 3 person night in and night out. It was just an bad change I think, don't like it at all. Tried working in our girls junior high games the last couple weeks and hate it, but like everything else, will get used to it I guess.

Jritchie, I understand your frustrations due to CHANGE, but like other officials have mentioned we've been calling it this way in the state of Texas for years and there hasn't been any problems. Keep working at it and it will become as natural as giving a coach a technical. Peace!

jdw3018 Wed Oct 14, 2009 02:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jritchie (Post 630928)

I think it's actually closer to 3-man now, with staying tableside. At lead you have to remember to go to the other side of the lane, but if you're reporting you now stay there regardless.

That said, what I don't like about it is that in 3-man the trail's duties can be performed from a place nearer the division line and not potentially right in front of an upset coach. I routinely stay near the division line until a FT with live ball action afterwards unless I specifically want to communicate with a coach. In 2-man you'll have to be in front of the team bench regardless of the situation.

Scratch85 Wed Oct 14, 2009 02:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018 (Post 630931)
I think it's actually closer to 3-man now, with staying tableside.

The problem is the reporting official only stays table side when FT's are to be attempted. That isn't anything like 3-person.

I've tried to think of all the reasons that the Fed would have to make this change and none of them seem worth while. IMO, the change is not an improvement. I hope they change it back in the future.

That being said, like most others, I don't think it is a big deal and it won't take much getting used to. Kind of like standing at the division line during timeouts for 2-person. If they (NFHS) wanted 2 and 3-person mechanics more similar, they should have left us on the blocks and the top of the key.

zm1283 Wed Oct 14, 2009 02:37pm

It's not really that big of a deal. I've found that some fellow officials don't realize that the calling official is supposed to stay as the Trail on shooting fouls. So if the Trail calls a shooting foul, there is no switch. Some people I've worked with still think you switch on every foul.

Rufus Wed Oct 14, 2009 02:48pm

We've called 2-whistle this way for a couple of years (since I started back a couple of years ago I mean, may have been going on longer) so it's not that big a deal.

Making the transition to 3-whistle, however, is something else as the lead since I'm used to looking at the benches/scorer's table. I had an evaluator give me the cue "Show your butt to the bench" when you're the lead on FT. I'll remember it forever because of that (and subsequently where everyone else is supposed to be in 3-man) but still chuckle every time I think of it.

Back In The Saddle Wed Oct 14, 2009 03:18pm

I've had no problem with the change. I've found myself working T more like a three person game, however. On the first shot I'm back near the center line, to better handle bringing in subs. Then I move down on the final shot.

jkumpire Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:52pm

The more things change...

It's funny to hear about the changes in where you go after a foul. When I first started calling BK in the 1970's, that is how we were all the time, unless you had a rotation because of where you took the ball out. And the hated "reverse mechanics" was frowned upon.

Then in the late 80's or early 90's there came this crazy idea for 3 man mechanics.....?????

BillyMac Fri Oct 16, 2009 06:45am

Cadillac Position ..

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkumpire (Post 631157)
"Reverse mechanics" was frowned upon.

Which is why we rotated to the "Cadillac position" as soon as possible, some sooner than others.

Indianaref Fri Oct 16, 2009 07:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 630955)
I've had no problem with the change. I've found myself working T more like a three person game, however. On the first shot I'm back near the center line, to better handle bringing in subs. Then I move down on the final shot.

The one thing I don't like about this new mechanic is the late subs during the second free throw. Being opposite, I can better observe this.