The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcord51 View Post
How about as trail with my back to the table? Do I visually signal the amount of throws? If so who am I doing this towards?
I usually indicate the count in the direction of the free throw circle, no matter which position I’m at. However, most everyone should be able to see it. Just before the ball is administered to the free thrower from the lead, all officials (2 man or 3 man) should indicate the shots to be taken. Everyone in the gym should be able to see at least one of you holding up the shot count. Most importantly, though, is that the players and your partners see. The players; so they know how to react to the shot. And your partners; to make sure you and your partners all have the same count making sure you don’t end up with a correctable error situation.
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 01:16pm
Courageous When Prudent

I'm still waiting on the rationale for the change. I can change mechanics with my eyes closed, I do that on a daily basis during the season. But to me, it was just change for change's sake.

I actually see more complaints about supposed complaints than I do actual complaints about the new mechanic. It might amaze those prone to ranting that a "question" does not equal a "complaint".
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

We were told at the EOT tournament this summer not to use the new mechanic, as Oregon will not be adopting it. We'll find out for sure soon - first PBOA meeting is in about 3 weeks..........
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

We've been using the mechanic in Texas for several years now. It works fine and there's no issue with it. Its easier except that the lead might have to think about where he is backing toward, especially if he works a lot of 3 man. But its much easier for the new trail: report, turn around, take care of business. You have nothing to watch but the players, which is a good thing. Before the second free throw, take a quick glance for subs (hopefully the clock is doing their job, but often they aren't). If the coach wants a quick explanation, you are right there. I don't recall ever giving a technical from this position. Not saying it won't happen, but I think the fact that you are there and listening gets you 90% of the way down the road toward not having to give a T.
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
We've been using the mechanic in Texas for several years now. It works fine and there's no issue with it. Its easier except that the lead might have to think about where he is backing toward, especially if he works a lot of 3 man. But its much easier for the new trail: report, turn around, take care of business. You have nothing to watch but the players, which is a good thing. Before the second free throw, take a quick glance for subs (hopefully the clock is doing their job, but often they aren't). If the coach wants a quick explanation, you are right there. I don't recall ever giving a technical from this position. Not saying it won't happen, but I think the fact that you are there and listening gets you 90% of the way down the road toward not having to give a T.
GREAT POST!!! I'm widely known as being a hothead and having a quick trigger finger...but I have never called a foul, went to the table then had to wack the coach...I'm there and we can talk calmly. If I had to turn my back and walk away from them, they'd go ballistic.
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 11:18pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH View Post
GREAT POST!!! I'm widely known as being a hothead and having a quick trigger finger...but I have never called a foul, went to the table then had to wack the coach...I'm there and we can talk calmly. If I had to turn my back and walk away from them, they'd go ballistic.
So coaches would go ballistic if/when you are working (if not already) NCAA-M mechanics?

I haven't had that problem.
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 06:31am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
So coaches would go ballistic if/when you are working (if not already) NCAA-M mechanics?

I haven't had that problem.
Do you really think that is what CLH implied?
...I didn't think so.
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 08:01am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Do you really think that is what CLH implied?
...I didn't think so.
No, what I inferred from his earlier rant is that anyone who doesn't like or has questioned the new mechanic in 2-man is scared of or can't communicate with coaches.

I purposely used the same faulty logic in response to his post.
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, what I inferred from his earlier rant is that anyone who doesn't like or has questioned the new mechanic in 2-man is scared of or can't communicate with coaches.
Perhaps you don't fall into this category, but I think if you look at the main complaints about this new mechanic when it was first released, I think you'll find that's exactly what people were saying. That seemed to be the main issue with the majority of people who don't like it. Not everyone, but the majority who did complain.
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 08:56am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Perhaps you don't fall into this category, but I think if you look at the main complaints about this new mechanic when it was first released, I think you'll find that's exactly what people were saying. That seemed to be the main issue with the majority of people who don't like it. Not everyone, but the majority who did complain.
I'm not sure people were complaining as much as asking for the rationale. I saw assumptions that it had to do with communicating with the coaches but I have yet to read that from the NFHS (maybe I just missed it). But assuming that is the rationale I personally don't see how it would enhance communication. On free throws the Trail is going to nowhere near one of the coaches, and in the 2nd half it's going to be the coach most likely looking for an answer to a question since his/her team just sent the opposing team to the free throw line.

I just prefer the old mechanic based on court vision. Of course some folks here have a heart attack if someone expresses a preference for something. If your thought process or logic is not the same as theirs then you can't possibly be a good official.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 09:03am.
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm not sure people were complaining as much as asking for the rationale. I saw assumptions that it had to do with communicating with the coaches but I have yet to read that from the NFHS (maybe I just missed it). But assuming that is the rationale I personally don't see how it would enhance communication. On free throws the Trail is going to nowhere near one of the coaches, and in the 2nd half it's going to be the coach most likely looking for an answer to a question since his team just sent the opposing team to the free throw line.

I just prefer the old mechanic based on court vision. Of course some folks here have a heart attack if someone says they have a preference for something. If your thought process is not the same as theirs then you can't possibly be a good official.
Maybe you're right about that. I recall seeing something from the NFHS about the rationale being better communication, but I can't find it now either.

I liked the old way better, too, but I don't mind the new way. I would much rather, if a coach did have something to say, that they said it to me quietly while I was near them, rather than yelling across the court. The only thing I really don't like about the new mechanic is that I have to turn my head to look for subs and they often seem to sneak them over to the table just after I turn my head back to the court.
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 09:33am
In Memoriam

Quote:
The only thing I really don't like about the new mechanic is that I have to turn my head to look for subs and they often seem to sneak them over to the table just after I turn my head back to the court.
Ain't it swell that the lead glances at the table before administering?
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Ain't it swell that the lead glances at the table before administering?
It's sort of swell. I still feel like I missed something when I hear the lead's whistle blow to bring in subs after a made last free throw because I didn't see the subs. I feel like that is my responsibility and I don't like missing it.
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Maybe you're right about that. I recall seeing something from the NFHS about the rationale being better communication, but I can't find it now either.

I liked the old way better, too, but I don't mind the new way. I would much rather, if a coach did have something to say, that they said it to me quietly while I was near them, rather than yelling across the court. The only thing I really don't like about the new mechanic is that I have to turn my head to look for subs and they often seem to sneak them over to the table just after I turn my head back to the court.
If a coach wants to yell and scream let them. A coach can get a T just as easily for saying something quietly when you're on the same side of the floor.

If a coach has a question and properly phrases it, they will get an answer at the appropriate time.
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
If a coach wants to yell and scream let them. A coach can get a T just as easily for saying something quietly when you're on the same side of the floor.

If a coach has a question and properly phrases it, they will get an answer at the appropriate time.
Interesting philosophy. I'm not necessarily talking about a T. Often the coach simply wants an explanation of the foul. "What did he do?". I prefer being next to him so I can explain rather than have him have to yell across the court.