The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   New FT 2 man mechanic (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/54727-new-ft-2-man-mechanic.html)

ripcord51 Tue Sep 22, 2009 09:32pm

New FT 2 man mechanic

When working lead and administering the ball on a bounce to the FT shoooter I walk away and signal the amount of throws with one hand, who am I now signaling to? the table that can not see or the players or the fans?

JRutledge Tue Sep 22, 2009 09:37pm

I did this too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ripcord51 (Post 626702)
When working lead and administering the ball on a bounce to the FT shoooter I walk away and signal the amount of throws with one hand, who am I now signaling to? the table that can not see or the players or the fans?

I guess no one. No good reason to anymore to do that. But then again it was not an "accepted" mechanic anyway. ;)

Peace

ripcord51 Tue Sep 22, 2009 09:44pm

How about as trail with my back to the table? Do I visually signal the amount of throws? If so who am I doing this towards?

mick Wed Sep 23, 2009 07:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ripcord51 (Post 626709)
How about as trail with my back to the table? Do I visually signal the amount of throws? If so who am I doing this towards?

Table and Partner.
Once Lead gives it to players, I drop my *toward Division line* signal.

amusedofficial Wed Sep 23, 2009 08:10am

Isn't the lead indicating the number of shots for the players lined up along the lane, most of whom may not have seen the preliminary signal and who are naturally heading toward the lane in the opposite direction of the calling official who goes to report and take his position as trail behind the view of the players lining up for the foul?

Raymond Wed Sep 23, 2009 08:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by amusedofficial (Post 626755)
Isn't the lead indicating the number of shots for the players lined up along the lane, most of whom may not have seen the preliminary signal and who are naturally heading toward the lane in the opposite direction of the calling official who goes to report and take his position as trail behind the view of the players lining up for the foul?

He's speaking about after the Lead administers the free throw and steps out of the lane. A lot of officials (ie: myself) then give an additional shot indication in the direction of the table/benches.

Smitty Wed Sep 23, 2009 08:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by amusedofficial (Post 626755)

The lead should have vocally and visibly stated the number of free throws before bouncing the ball to the shooter. That's for the players lined up in the lane. I don't believe there is a required mechanic for the lead to signal the amount of free throws with one hand while walking back to their spot after bouncing the ball to the shooter.

grunewar Wed Sep 23, 2009 08:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 626761)
The lead should have vocally and visibly stated the number of free throws before bouncing the ball to the shooter. That's for the players lined up in the lane. I don't believe there is a required mechanic for the lead to signal the amount of free throws with one hand while walking back to their spot after bouncing the ball to the shooter.

I do the same as Smitty indicates. I announce the number of shots nice and loud so everyone knows how many the shooter will take before bouncing the ball to the shooter (of course, that doesn't prevent the "zoned out" player who isn't paying attention from jumping in the lane anyhow).

I "used to" indicate number of shots with my hand while backing out too, but was told not to during an evaluation. I stopped.

bob jenkins Wed Sep 23, 2009 09:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 626760)
A lot of officials (ie: myself) then give an additional shot indication in the direction of the table/benches.

Why? What does it add? What is the trail (or C in 3-person) doing?

Raymond Wed Sep 23, 2009 09:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 626766)
Why? What does it add? What is the trail (or C in 3-person) doing?

For me it just ensures that what I said in the lane is the same as what everyone else expects to come. I've also used it to correct announcers who say the wrong amount of shots on the PA. Just an added communication tool.

It doesn't interfere with any of my other responsibilities and no one (supervisors/evaluators/observers) has ever told me not to do it.

TimTaylor Wed Sep 23, 2009 09:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 626761)

I agree completely.

How's things going in Dallas? I'm going to miss working with you - always enjoyed it........

Smitty Wed Sep 23, 2009 09:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimTaylor (Post 626776)
How's things going in Dallas? I'm going to miss working with you - always enjoyed it........

Thanks Tim. Same here. I love Dallas. As far as officiating in Dallas, it's been....interesting. It would be best discuss it offline. :o

I will say this much, I would recommend to anyone fortunate enough to work in Portland to go up and give Howard a big hug. You don't know how good you have it there...

CLH Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ripcord51 (Post 626702)

You've gotta be kidding me right? This mechanic is not even in the manual. There is no need to do it. It is simply a last chance communication many of us use just for a little more confirmation, or quite simply we see 'em do it on tv.

It has really boggled my mind that this tableside issue has sparked so much debate. The only place officials do not go tableside is NCAA-M, the NBA, WNBA, NCAA-W and (correct me if I'm wrong) FIBA all go table side. Now that the NFHS has made the change, NCAA-M are the only group still going opposite. If this was not a good and viable option, why are all the top leagues IN THE WORLD doing it? It is not a difficult mechanic to master and it boggles my mind that so many are making such a big deal out of trivial things like, who do I make a non-approved signal to since noone can see me now.

Sorry for the rant, but I really just don't get why this has been given so much discussion...I really don't.

Ok, I'm done, thanks guys! :D

CLH Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 626779)
Thanks Tim. Same here. I love Dallas. As far as officiating in Dallas, it's been....interesting. It would be best discuss it offline. :o

I will say this much, I would recommend to anyone fortunate enough to work in Portland to go up and give Howard a big hug. You don't know how good you have it there...

Luckily he's met some really great people here!! :p

Smitty Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLH (Post 626817)
Luckily he's met some really great people here!! :p

That makes one! :) But I'm not sure you count since you're not in the Dallas association. I have met some really nice people here but they just do things....different. I'll have to see how the meetings go and how they schedule games. It's always interesting when you move to a new place. I'll pay my dues and hopefully impress enough people who matter.

And for what it's worth, I agree with you about the tableside free throw mechanic. It's insignificant. I guess there are just no other rule changes for people to complain about.