The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 22, 2009, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

New FT 2 man mechanic

When working lead and administering the ball on a bounce to the FT shoooter I walk away and signal the amount of throws with one hand, who am I now signaling to? the table that can not see or the players or the fans?
Old Tue Sep 22, 2009, 09:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

I did this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcord51 View Post
When working lead and administering the ball on a bounce to the FT shoooter I walk away and signal the amount of throws with one hand, who am I now signaling to? the table that can not see or the players or the fans?
I guess no one. No good reason to anymore to do that. But then again it was not an "accepted" mechanic anyway.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 22, 2009, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

How about as trail with my back to the table? Do I visually signal the amount of throws? If so who am I doing this towards?
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 07:51am
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
How about as trail with my back to the table? Do I visually signal the amount of throws? If so who am I doing this towards?
Table and Partner.
Once Lead gives it to players, I drop my *toward Division line* signal.
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Isn't the lead indicating the number of shots for the players lined up along the lane, most of whom may not have seen the preliminary signal and who are naturally heading toward the lane in the opposite direction of the calling official who goes to report and take his position as trail behind the view of the players lining up for the foul?
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 08:43am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post
Isn't the lead indicating the number of shots for the players lined up along the lane, most of whom may not have seen the preliminary signal and who are naturally heading toward the lane in the opposite direction of the calling official who goes to report and take his position as trail behind the view of the players lining up for the foul?
He's speaking about after the Lead administers the free throw and steps out of the lane. A lot of officials (ie: myself) then give an additional shot indication in the direction of the table/benches.
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post
The lead should have vocally and visibly stated the number of free throws before bouncing the ball to the shooter. That's for the players lined up in the lane. I don't believe there is a required mechanic for the lead to signal the amount of free throws with one hand while walking back to their spot after bouncing the ball to the shooter.
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 08:51am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
The lead should have vocally and visibly stated the number of free throws before bouncing the ball to the shooter. That's for the players lined up in the lane. I don't believe there is a required mechanic for the lead to signal the amount of free throws with one hand while walking back to their spot after bouncing the ball to the shooter.
I do the same as Smitty indicates. I announce the number of shots nice and loud so everyone knows how many the shooter will take before bouncing the ball to the shooter (of course, that doesn't prevent the "zoned out" player who isn't paying attention from jumping in the lane anyhow).

I "used to" indicate number of shots with my hand while backing out too, but was told not to during an evaluation. I stopped.
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
A lot of officials (ie: myself) then give an additional shot indication in the direction of the table/benches.
Why? What does it add? What is the trail (or C in 3-person) doing?
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 09:48am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Why? What does it add? What is the trail (or C in 3-person) doing?
For me it just ensures that what I said in the lane is the same as what everyone else expects to come. I've also used it to correct announcers who say the wrong amount of shots on the PA. Just an added communication tool.

It doesn't interfere with any of my other responsibilities and no one (supervisors/evaluators/observers) has ever told me not to do it.
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree completely.

How's things going in Dallas? I'm going to miss working with you - always enjoyed it........
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
How's things going in Dallas? I'm going to miss working with you - always enjoyed it........
Thanks Tim. Same here. I love Dallas. As far as officiating in Dallas, it's been....interesting. It would be best discuss it offline.

I will say this much, I would recommend to anyone fortunate enough to work in Portland to go up and give Howard a big hug. You don't know how good you have it there...
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Quote:
You've gotta be kidding me right? This mechanic is not even in the manual. There is no need to do it. It is simply a last chance communication many of us use just for a little more confirmation, or quite simply we see 'em do it on tv.

It has really boggled my mind that this tableside issue has sparked so much debate. The only place officials do not go tableside is NCAA-M, the NBA, WNBA, NCAA-W and (correct me if I'm wrong) FIBA all go table side. Now that the NFHS has made the change, NCAA-M are the only group still going opposite. If this was not a good and viable option, why are all the top leagues IN THE WORLD doing it? It is not a difficult mechanic to master and it boggles my mind that so many are making such a big deal out of trivial things like, who do I make a non-approved signal to since noone can see me now.

Sorry for the rant, but I really just don't get why this has been given so much discussion...I really don't.

Ok, I'm done, thanks guys!
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Quote:
Thanks Tim. Same here. I love Dallas. As far as officiating in Dallas, it's been....interesting. It would be best discuss it offline.

I will say this much, I would recommend to anyone fortunate enough to work in Portland to go up and give Howard a big hug. You don't know how good you have it there...
Luckily he's met some really great people here!!
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH View Post
Luckily he's met some really great people here!!

That makes one! But I'm not sure you count since you're not in the Dallas association. I have met some really nice people here but they just do things....different. I'll have to see how the meetings go and how they schedule games. It's always interesting when you move to a new place. I'll pay my dues and hopefully impress enough people who matter.

And for what it's worth, I agree with you about the tableside free throw mechanic. It's insignificant. I guess there are just no other rule changes for people to complain about.