The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Mechanic???

Doing a Varsity scrimmage this past Friday, shaking off the rust and bad habits of rec league and AAU ball over the summer, a little shaky on mechanics and a situation came that I'm not clear on.

Team A taking ball out of bounds on endline, I'm C, player in bounds to no one and is first to touch ball. I hesitate to toot as it's leads call. He doesn't, I grab it as it was blatantly obvious and everyone is looking at me..........and I don't have a mechanic for that violation. I've been officiating for 7 years and have only seen it happen one other time from kids to Varsity.

I simply stopped clock and pointed new direction which I'm sure isn't correct. We did 2 1/2 games and forgot to bring it up in postgame.

What say you?
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Just my .02, but I'd do what you did. Open hand/whistle and I'd probably verbally say "(Throw in) violation" give direction and spot the ball. Pretty much the same as I'd do for a free throw violation. Not sure there is a specific mechanic for that.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

There is none that I know of. It is a throw-in violation and opponent gets it at the spot of the original throw-in. Open hand, point to the designated spot and verbalize "throw in violation", point direction. That's the best I could come up with.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

You're right it was leads call, I personally would have let it go. I would have asked him why he let it go. If I was him I would ask you why you're watching the thrower in and not the other players as you should be. As far as everybody looking at you, that's why you make the big bucks.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlarry View Post
You're right it was leads call, I personally would have let it go.
Even in a scrimmage, don't let this go. Obvious violations need to be called.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

I disagree he says in his post he wants to shake off the rust and bad habits. Not working your primary is a bad habit. If he is in proper position as C he is on the other side of the floor foul line extended. His job is to be watching the other players for fouls away from the ball. A scrimmage is the only place we have to work these things out. Let it go and talk to your partners after.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

If you let it go, you screw up as a crew! Maybe you shouldn't of been watching it, but if you get it right, it will create less problems. I'm sure you can be watching your players and still notice that no one touched the ball before Player A came from OOB's and grabbed it for the violation. Especially if they are free throw line extended, while helping with press coverage. You give your partner the first opportunity to get it, if they don't, then get it right, which you did, good call.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritchie View Post
If you let it go, you screw up as a crew! Maybe you shouldn't of been watching it, but if you get it right, it will create less problems. I'm sure you can be watching your players and still notice that no one touched the ball before Player A came from OOB's and grabbed it for the violation. Especially if they are free throw line extended, while helping with press coverage. You give your partner the first opportunity to get it, if they don't, then get it right, which you did, good call.
Agree with jritchie on this one!

If the "player in bounds to no one", that probably means it's a vacated area of the court. If I'm the C, I'm going to grab that call after the L has the opportunity and neglects to make it.

-Josh
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I disagree he says in his post he wants to shake off the rust and bad habits. Not working your primary is a bad habit. If he is in proper position as C he is on the other side of the floor foul line extended. His job is to be watching the other players for fouls away from the ball. A scrimmage is the only place we have to work these things out. Let it go and talk to your partners after.

Disagree, This was so obvious it had to be called. The way the players were situated allowed me the luxury of that view. I don't want to get off topic as I knew someone would post that it's not my call which is another thread, another day.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 12:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I agree, if C has a clear view, go ahead and get this one. If it's close, and you think no one else touched it; let it go. If it's not close, and no one else was even close to the ball, get the call right.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You're right it was leads call, I personally would have let it go. I would have asked him why he let it go. .
There is an Elephant in the Gym and sombody better recognize it and deal with it. It is the Crew's job to get the play right not just the lead's

Quote:
If I was him I would ask you why you're watching the thrower in and not the other players as you should be.
It is the C's duty to watch the first pass on an inbound to assist the lead if there is pressure.
If there wasn't pressure what in the world was the lead looking at the S/he missed this ?? You have to get the call right. You miss this in a two point game and the coach goes balistic and you end up having to whack him becuase the C didn't help out and it is a six point swing.
Are you going to ask him why he wasn't looking there.

This is a pre-game point " if there is an elephant in My primary and I miss it somebody come get it before the elephant leaves a problem on the floor for us."
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

OHHBREF.........

My partner(lead) is an excellent official and said later that it appeared by the funny spin the ball took that it was tipped. There was no one that close to the ball and he may have just taken his eyes off for a split second or had a brain cramp. I did the pregnant pause before my whistle and then came running in. He agreed it was the right call and we needed to get it right.

I was 120% sure.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

I see no reason why you can't use NFHS signal #26.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 08:37pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
You're right it was leads call, I personally would have let it go. I would have asked him why he let it go. If I was him I would ask you why you're watching the thrower in and not the other players as you should be. As far as everybody looking at you, that's why you make the big bucks.
I personally think this crap has got to end.

As another poster said, if you screw up you do so as a crew. If my partner said that to me, I'd ask him why he didn't blow the whistle and I'd probably ask him if he needed a rules lesson, to boot.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 10:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Circus Manure Is The Best, Seriously, Gardeners Wait In Line ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
There is an Elephant in the Gym and sombody better recognize it and deal with it.
I would hate to be the custodian at that school.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)