The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

displacement

A1 and B1 are in the key when A2 puts up a shot from the perimeter. B1 turns his back and leans against A1 to block out. A1 leans into B1 in response. B1 drives back with his legs and displaces A1 two or three feet.

Seem like a clear foul on B1 since he displaced A1, especially if the rebound comes down right where A1 was standing.

The trouble is, coaches hate this call. They teach their kids to block out and they don't care about displacement. Several times his call has been the start of bad blood with a coach that ended in a rough game.

Does anyone else have trouble with this call, or am I calling it too close?
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

I know exactly what you mean. The coach will say "That's a good box out."

My advice is don't worry about what the coach thinks or says. You are calling the play correctly.

There have been some memos from the NCAA about displacement stating that this is a foul. The NFHS has written the same in a few POEs over the past couple of years.

Keep up the good work and ignore the coach.
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 08:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Good call.

"Coach, they can block out, but they can't push the player out of position."
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Yes coaches teach this and yes they are incorrect. A player is entitled to the spot on the floor and if he is moved by a player from the opposing team displacement has occurred. GREAT CALL!!
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

IMHO I'd caution against making this call unless we're talking about displacement that happens to end up in the (proverbial) bleachers, not the 2-3 feet (which is what a step or so) as described in the OP.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 04:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
IMHO I'd caution against making this call unless we're talking about displacement that happens to end up in the (proverbial) bleachers, not the 2-3 feet (which is what a step or so) as described in the OP.

It is because of that kind of thinking that rough play persists in HS basketball and that NFHS must issue POEs so frequently on displacement and other forms of it.

Why would you caution against making a completely correct call that the people who govern HS basketball desire? Could it be because you don't want to risk upsetting the coaches? Do you fear getting blacklisted by schools? Do you like the rough tactics that are now common in basketball?
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Good call.

"Coach, they can block out, but they can't push the player out of position."
Agree. I say something similar when asked, but avoid the term 'block out'. I'll say, "Coach, they can get position but not displace the other player."

Many coaches at lower levels don't know what 'block out' means and so are confused when you tell them that their players may block out but may not push an opponent out of position.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 09:19am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Agree. I say something similar when asked, but avoid the term 'block out'. I'll say, "Coach, they can get position but not displace the other player."

Many coaches at lower levels don't know what 'block out' means and so are confused when you tell them that their players may block out but may not push an opponent out of position.
Good point, and I would only say that if the coach uses the term. My point is that "block out" does not mean "push."

Typically, I just say "he can't move him."

Or you could say, "Having inside position is not a license to push."
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 09:20am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I agree with Nevada. The trick, however, is to discern whether the player is being pushed or is simply giving ground as the inside player backs up.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think this is where good game management comes into play. The first occurence of this will probably be a no call unless rebound comes to that spot. I will find that player and we will communicate that is not acceptable play to displace the shooter. I will bang the next one on that team. If I am near the coach, I will ask for his help on the box out.

This diffuses the situation with the coach and players. If the first one takes the shooter to the ground, different situation. You earn credibility with players and coaches. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post
A1 and B1 are in the key when A2 puts up a shot from the perimeter. B1 turns his back and leans against A1 to block out. A1 leans into B1 in response. B1 drives back with his legs and displaces A1 two or three feet.

Seem like a clear foul on B1 since he displaced A1, especially if the rebound comes down right where A1 was standing.

The trouble is, coaches hate this call. They teach their kids to block out and they don't care about displacement. Several times his call has been the start of bad blood with a coach that ended in a rough game.

Does anyone else have trouble with this call, or am I calling it too close?

I would first say that coaches hating this call should never enter your mind if you should call it or let it go. Most coaches hate when we call handchecking but once again it is a POE for 2009-2010. Players and coaches think that a box out is getting the opponet on your back and then taking 3-5 steps back, this is a foul. The issue that I saw a lot of this year was players attempting to box out players already in the air to the side of back of them when that player already was in position to secure the rebound. This play is very dangerous with the risk of players getting undercut and hurt.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

There is nothing wrong with a defender, or any player for that matter, getting in good position for a rebound. However, they cannot move another player so that they are in an even better position for a rebound. This includes the "box out" and now days even a "box in", if it is a player pushing from behind.

Get good position and hold it!
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 02:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAK View Post
There is nothing wrong with a defender, or any player for that matter, getting in good position for a rebound. However, they cannot move another player so that they are in an even better position for a rebound. This includes the "box out" and now days even a "box in", if it is a player pushing from behind.

Get good position and hold it!
Just to clarify, that's not new.