Thread: displacement
View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post
A1 and B1 are in the key when A2 puts up a shot from the perimeter. B1 turns his back and leans against A1 to block out. A1 leans into B1 in response. B1 drives back with his legs and displaces A1 two or three feet.

Seem like a clear foul on B1 since he displaced A1, especially if the rebound comes down right where A1 was standing.

The trouble is, coaches hate this call. They teach their kids to block out and they don't care about displacement. Several times his call has been the start of bad blood with a coach that ended in a rough game.

Does anyone else have trouble with this call, or am I calling it too close?

I would first say that coaches hating this call should never enter your mind if you should call it or let it go. Most coaches hate when we call handchecking but once again it is a POE for 2009-2010. Players and coaches think that a box out is getting the opponet on your back and then taking 3-5 steps back, this is a foul. The issue that I saw a lot of this year was players attempting to box out players already in the air to the side of back of them when that player already was in position to secure the rebound. This play is very dangerous with the risk of players getting undercut and hurt.