The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

I did my first "high level" varsity game Friday night, and need some opinions. A1 takes shot. Team B rebounder has great position, A2 rebounder, behind him, does the "hip push" and is able to get the rebound. I call a pushing foul on A. Next time down the court, same play, same B player pushes, but A is able to get the rebound. I called the foul on B again. Team B coach asks how can I call that foul....This is 5A....you got to let them play...blah, blah, blah. I talked to a veteran ref, and he said, maybe you could have let the second one pass, since no advantage was gained, but to be honest, with the size of these guys, I was just afraid that if A doesn't feel the ref is protecting him, they will start protecting themselves, and I don't want to be party to that.

The other thing I've seem to see more of, and am calling, is the defensive rebounder, not only boxing out, but driving the player behind them 3,4 feet by backing into them, claiming they are "boxing out." With the continued POE's on rough post play, and rough play on the boards, shouldn't we be trying to clean that up, or am I being "overly officious."
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 05:34pm
In Memoriam

Frank, quit second-guessing yourself. If you establish the contact parameters and then call them consistently at both ends, the players and coaches will adjust to you- unless they're completely stoopid. No two officials call "contact" exactly the same. Consistency is the key. If you got that, nobody should have any complaints.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Frank,

From the way you describe those, they sound like reasonable calls.

Z
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Frank (which is one of my favorite names -- I like it so much I named my son Frank), I've been in your position. Still am, as a matter of fact. just stepping up to the next level, and having trouble fitting in. In spite of what JR says, you may have to re-think your A/D judgment. In the past when I wanted to work on my judgment, here's what I did. I would go to some of these games with the refs that are really good at it, sit as close as possible to the endline, and watch what gets called and what doesn't. Don't necessarily analyze mentally, but imagine yourself right there on the floor and feel when the whistle blows and when it doesn't. It is different at the different levels, and I'm hoping this plan will speed up my current adjustment. Perhaps it'll help you, too.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

Frank, sounds like you had fun.

As JR said consistency is key.

Also key is flow - let them play through contact, decide what's worth a whistle & what's not.

If I understand your description passing on the second foul might have been a good idea. If A2 is an animal you'll have an opportunity to pile up good fouls on him.

As for the boxing out scenario: if A1 can't hold his ground behind B1 while B1 is trying to establish position on a rebound it's not your place to equalize the field.

But as JR said the players & coaches must adjust to what the crew is calling. Never adjust your calls to how the players are playing.
Old Tue Nov 22, 2005, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Thumbs up

My pholospy which I picked up from this group as well as camp is the following -

RIDD

R - Reroute
I - Impede
D - Displace
D - Dislodge

If any of that happens in the paint, TWEET!