The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Displacement - Posting POE

Quote:
The offense may “shape up” to receive a pass or to force the defense to deploy or assume a legal guarding position at the side, in front or behind the offensive post player. When the offensive player then uses the “swim stroke,” pushes, pins, elbows, forearms, holds, clears with the body, or just generally demonstrates rough physical movements or tactics, that is a foul on the offensive player and must be called without warning. The defense can assume a legal, vertical stance or position on the side, front or behind the offensive post player. When the defense undercuts (initiates lower-body non-vertical contact), slaps, pushes, holds, elbows, forearms or just generally demonstrates rough, physical movements or tactics, that is a foul on the defense and must be called without warning.

When a player dislodges an opponent from an established position by pushing or “backing in”, it is a foul.
Just curious how many feel this will change their approach. If you currently give warnings in this situation, will you now just call a foul? Will you call "backing in"? Or is this the way you've been calling it all along? Or is it "we don't call it that way around here"?
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 02:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

At the HS level, POEs mean little or nothing in my opinion. The main problem is you have officials literally at all levels of ability and understanding of the game. Things that a very experienced official might call are very different from an official that is just getting started. I know I have called post fouls like this without warning. Anytime the players are doing things that might be a foul and if I can talk them out of it, I will still try to do that. Like when a player starts by putting their arms in a way to hold their opponent but have not actually held yet.

Also just like anything, the minute officials start calling this; the coaches will raise hell about these calls. Then indirectly they will complain to the supervisor and say they do not want to see that guy. Often there will not be much video tape shown to the supervisor (the tapes are often garbage anyway) and officials will call what is not as likely to get them in trouble.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 04:14pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
At the HS level, POEs mean little or nothing in my opinion. The main problem is you have officials literally at all levels of ability and understanding of the game. Things that a very experienced official might call are very different from an official that is just getting started. I know I have called post fouls like this without warning. Anytime the players are doing things that might be a foul and if I can talk them out of it, I will still try to do that. Like when a player starts by putting their arms in a way to hold their opponent but have not actually held yet.
yup, advantage-disadvantage. You have to learn when to call it and when to warn. Newer officials have to figure it out. Some never do.