The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In 3-5 years if they are fortunate enough, absolutely. But not today sir/ma'am.
I STRONGLY recommend you do NOT make these kinds of comments. One thing I've learned is that my sense of humor is not often shared by others, even if its just a time and place discrepancy. Just answer yes or no to questions called for it. Later, if things are light and there's a few seconds for a follow up comment, you can say your other comment if you think its appropriate, but never use it in a primary answer.
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 03:53pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
One thing I've learned is that my sense of humor is not often shared by others
And you let that stop you?!?!?!?!?!
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 04:13pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
I STRONGLY recommend you do NOT make these kinds of comments.
I appreciate your concern, I might be SOME dumb but I'm not PLUM dumb

Before that exchange I clearly said "this time of year". I try to educate coaches, players & fans alike in the off-season. Some of the things I do or say during this time of year, I would NEVER do in a real game situation.
But, when I see some of these same people during the season, it's always love, because of the time I took to explain this or that during the summer months.

Of course you also gotta know who you're dealing with when answering a stupid question with a smart-a$$ remark.

Also, not that I'm in it for the money, but if you're gonna pay me 1/3 of in-season pay rates... ummm we're ALL going to have some fun on my court.

I'm pretty good with my communication skills, so I tend to stay out of trouble. T'd exactly 0 coaches last season & I had all the coaches with big, bad reps.
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
Also, not that I'm in it for the money, but if you're gonna pay me 1/3 of in-season pay rates... ummm we're ALL going to have some fun on my court.
I don't get this kind of logic. If you agree to work a game for 1/3 of in-season pay rates, why do you think that entitles you to do 1/3 the job you signed up for? If you don't want to work for that rate, don't work. But if you accept the game at that rate, you are getting paid to do the job, so do the job. Don't half-a$$ it.
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
I don't get this kind of logic. If you agree to work a game for 1/3 of in-season pay rates, why do you think that entitles you to do 1/3 the job you signed up for? If you don't want to work for that rate, don't work. But if you accept the game at that rate, you are getting paid to do the job, so do the job. Don't half-a$$ it.
he's not 1/2 assing it....he's 1/3 assing it!!
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 01:59pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Dang Smitty, are you serious? I had to go back & re-read what I really said. I still can't figure how you came to the conclusion that I'm "half-a$$ing it."

I drip sweat no matter what time of the year it is!
I hustle to the endline to receive the play, I position adjust for angles year around! I work hard each & every game!!!

You totally misunderstood... I put up with much less BS (whinning, ignorant coaches/players/fanatics) when I'm not paid accordingly for MY TIME is all I was saying.

I never disrespect the GAME!
Game 1st, partners 2nd & myself last is the approach from Jan to Dec
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

If you say so...it's just interesting that you had to put it that way.

When someone starts off by saying "It's not about the money" and then proceeds to whine about the money, it's kind of like saying "I don't mean to be rude, but you're an idiot". Just because you declare it, doesn't make it so. Guess what? If you complain about the money, it's about the money.

And the sheer fact that you mentioned that you changed something because of making less money implies that you give it less of an effort. That's how it comes across to me anyway. Had you said something about it being summer so you're less formal in your approach with players, coaches and fans, I would maybe buy your argument. But the sheer fact that you made it about the money implied to me that you put in that much less of an effort.

That's how I came to my conclusion. If I'm wrong, sorry. *shrug*
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 02:34pm
Ch1town

As long as my assignors & I know what's really real is all that matters now isn't it.

I work hard 4-6 nights a week in the regular/post season, with the same work ethic 4-6 nights a week in the off season.
This is what I was born to do & I absolutely love the craft. Respecting the game is what my foundation is based upon.

If you read the ENTIRE thread you would see that the particular post you cut & pasted was addressing a previous poster who tried to warn me about the informal comments I make to coaches, during this time of year. ie: Summertime

I'll keep attending multiple camps & continue working on competing against myself to beat the tape while enjoying the ride on the fast track

Even though you were absolutely wrong, no need to apologize. It is what it is

Take care!
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
You totally misunderstood... I put up with much less BS (whinning, ignorant coaches/players/fanatics) when I'm not paid accordingly for MY TIME is all I was saying.
But then you did it again. First you contradicted yourself. You stated everyone has more fun because you don't make as much money. And then you said you don't take any BS because you don't make as much money. So maybe the only person having any fun is you? I'm confused.

Then you made a point once again to complain about being paid "accordingly for your time". You definitely have an issue about the money, which again implies that you put in less than your best effort when you feel like you're not being paid "accordingly for your time". In big bold letters no less.

And for what it's worth (which is probably nothing), I thought your informal comments were inappropriate as well for the questions you were answering. Not because I think they're rude, but because I think they add more confusion than help.

I can't argue whether you are a hard worker on the court in the summertime because I don't know you. But what you say and how you say it implies something different to me than what you're trying to convey. So take it for what it's worth (which is probably still nothing).
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 03:30pm
Ch1town

Quote:
I'm confused.
You most certainly are And as I previously stated:

Quote:
As long as my assignors & I know what's really real is all that matters now isn't it.
Good day!
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

I believe that any reasonable question deserves a reasonable response.

If a coach asks for clarification on a rules interpretation, I always start the reply: "By rule.... ". But rather than quote the rule, I use "rules verbiage."

"Coach, by rule, the ball is placed at the point of interruption on an intentional foul."

I like this because it puts a coach in the position of choosing to disagree with the rules vs. disagreeing with our interpretation. Of course, the key to using this is you better know the rule. :>
Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
Of course, the key to using this is you better know the rule. :>
Like when there is an intentional foul, by rule, the offended team gets the ball at the spot nearest the foul after the free throws?

Last edited by sseltser; Tue Jun 16, 2009 at 07:31pm.
Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 10:22am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseltser View Post
Like when there is an intentional foul, by rule, the offended team gets the ball at the spot nearest the foul after the free throws? (not always POI)
Actually, I'm not sure it is ever POI on an intentional foul. Maybe if there is a double intentional.
Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 10:28am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Actually, I'm not sure it is ever POI on an intentional foul. Maybe if there is a double intentional.
I was kinda wondering myself where he was going with that.
Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I changed mine to eliminate the statement in parentheses, although my point was that POI and the spot closest to the foul are generally close enough to each other to be the same location.

The obviously not POI times are - foul away from the ball, foul by an offensive player and a foul on a made try.

Intentional fouls on a person with player control will result in the location being very close to POI, and my experience has shown that these make up a majority of intentional fouls.