The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

2 rules questions

I apologize in advance since this is my first message here if these have been covered previously...and thanks in advance for clarifications...

1. When Team X experiences a backcourt violation by a member of Team X touching the ball in backcourt, where is the ball inbounded? For example, if the player touching the ball to deem the ball dead is just past midcourt or near top of key (3 pt line) or under the basket? Is it no matter where the touch takes place the inbounds goes out to midcourt or is it a sidelines or baseline inbounds based on where the actual "touch" takes place in backcourt?

2. Please verify for me that when an offensive shot is taken, for the 3-second-in-the-lane reset to take place the ball must hit the rim. In other words, I see (particularly with younger kids with poor aim) "air balls" that never hit the rim some referees allow players to stand in the lane what seems like forever when the ball never hits the rim. I realize it is a tough call because most ref's would expect the ball to at minimum hit the rim.

Thank you for any/all guidance. Great forum.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 10:55pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJT622 View Post
I apologize in advance since this is my first message here if these have been covered previously...and thanks in advance for clarifications...

1. When Team X experiences a backcourt violation by a member of Team X touching the ball in backcourt, where is the ball inbounded? For example, if the player touching the ball to deem the ball dead is just past midcourt or near top of key (3 pt line) or under the basket? Is it no matter where the touch takes place the inbounds goes out to midcourt or is it a sidelines or baseline inbounds based on where the actual "touch" takes place in backcourt?

2. Please verify for me that when an offensive shot is taken, for the 3-second-in-the-lane reset to take place the ball must hit the rim. In other words, I see (particularly with younger kids with poor aim) "air balls" that never hit the rim some referees allow players to stand in the lane what seems like forever when the ball never hits the rim. I realize it is a tough call because most ref's would expect the ball to at minimum hit the rim.

Thank you for any/all guidance. Great forum.
Like any violation, the inbounds spot is the spot nearest to where the violation occurred. On and over and back violation, the violation occurs at the spot where X touched the ball that caused you to blow your whistle for the violation. The throw-in spot doesn't become the division line, or the endline, or the foul line extended.

The 3-seconds in the key count continues until you deem that a shot was taken. That's it. If a shot misses the rim, the 3-second count is still restarted, no matter how poor the shot attempt was. It's all in the judgment of the officials.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
Welcome to the forum.

Inbound nearest the spot of the violation as stated, so if the ball is touched near the 3-point line you will inbound the ball nearest the spot, not at the division line.

On your second question, if you determine a shot has been taken, regardless if the ball hits the rim, it is a shot attempt. There is no team possession after the release for a try (shot). So until a member of the team regains control of the ball, there is no 3-second count unless the team is in control of the ball in their front court. Also an individual who in the official's judgement makes a try for a shot, may retrieve the rebound even if it doesn't hit the rim without penalty.

Last edited by shishstripes; Thu Jan 22, 2009 at 11:19pm.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 09:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Another Myth Bites The Dust ...

The intent of the three-second rule is to not allow an offensive player to gain an advantage. There is no three-second count between the release of a shot and the control of a rebound, at which time a new count starts. There is no three-second count during a throwin. There is no three-second count while the ball is in the backcourt. There is a three-second count during an interrupted dribble. Allowance shall be made for a player who, having been in the restricted area for less than three seconds, dribbles in or moves immediately to try for goal.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you

I was at a game this past week. Team X threw an errant pass over the point guard's head that went backcourt. The point guard finally retrieved or touched it right in the middle of the lane on the opposite end causing an obvious backcourt violation. The referees took the ball out to sidelines at midcourt line for the team to bring the ball in.

The coach of Team Y (who I believe to be correct if I read the responses accurately) was yelling the ball should be brought in on baseline under their goal. What made it interesting is that the game was tied towards the end of the game to add a little "spice" to the situation. So, you can understand why the coach of Team Y was urging for the ball to be brought in under the goal where I am guessing he had more options/plays to potentially score.

Thank you for the responses. This is a fantastic forum. I wish I had known about this forum years ago when I was calling 6 or 7 AAU games each Saturday & Sunday.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 10:39pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJT622 View Post
I was at a game this past week. Team X threw an errant pass over the point guard's head that went backcourt. The point guard finally retrieved or touched it right in the middle of the lane on the opposite end causing an obvious backcourt violation. The referees took the ball out to sidelines at midcourt line for the team to bring the ball in.

The coach of Team Y (who I believe to be correct if I read the responses accurately) was yelling the ball should be brought in on baseline under their goal. What made it interesting is that the game was tied towards the end of the game to add a little "spice" to the situation. So, you can understand why the coach of Team Y was urging for the ball to be brought in under the goal where I am guessing he had more options/plays to potentially score.

Thank you for the responses. This is a fantastic forum. I wish I had known about this forum years ago when I was calling 6 or 7 AAU games each Saturday & Sunday.
You're correct, along with coach Y, that the throw-in should have been from the endline.

Endline throws-ins happen when the foul or violation is in key, the free-throwing semi-circle, or below either diagonal line from the key's elbow to the corner of the court.

Hey, you know about us now! Similarily, there are forums like this out there for any topic! I think forums like this have replaced the usenet. I recently did a number of hours of electrical work on my house and I needed some help. I certainly found the help I needed using forums.