View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcof83 View Post
Agreed, especially when the ump new this move would decide the game (and if I read the OP correctly he must have). At least in basketball our actions never DIRECTLY decide the outcome of a game (ie. a FT must still be made after a technical) so if we give an answer like this it's almost a little more excusable. I find this action as bad as it gets as he knew this would end the game and it didn't have to be that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
In your opinion it would have been OK if it happened in the 3rd inning and the defensive team was up by 5 runs?
No, I guess what I meant was that the ump new that by giving the coach this response he was more than creating an advantage, he was giving runs to one team. This crappy situation was completely preventable.

I would never think of giving such an arrogant answer to a question about a rule, regardless of the situation. By doing so you are making the choice to forego an opportunity to teach and be a good steward of the game. Do you disagree? I'm not saying I would sit and explain the entire rule from A to Z. Certainly a "That would be an illegal move, coach. I can explain why between innings." would have done the trick.