The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Answering 'Rules' questions during a game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/53471-answering-rules-questions-during-game.html)

Raymond Tue Jun 02, 2009 01:09pm

Answering 'Rules' questions during a game

Backdrop: Locally there was an HS regional softball (girls fast-pitch) play-off that ended when the winning run scored because of an illegal pitch. The illegal pitch was caused by the defensive coach placing a fielder behind the catcher.

Supposedly the coach asked the plate umpire before the play if this positioning was legal and his response was "Coach you can do whatever you want".

So, in our b-ball games, how do you handle similar type situations? If a coach asks if he can do "XYZ" would you quote the rule or give the answer allegedly given above.

What if the coach were to ask "What does the rule book say about 'XYZ'?"

Fritz Tue Jun 02, 2009 01:16pm

If it is a quick question during a timeout or other stoppage that doesn't slow us down, I don't have a problem answering it. Ignoring the question, watching them do the wrong thing and calling the violation just opens up more trouble that you could have easily avoided with a 15 second answer to the initial question. But that's just me -

Adam Tue Jun 02, 2009 01:22pm

I'll answer a direct question anytime.

Ch1town Tue Jun 02, 2009 01:40pm

Provided it's asked in the appropriate manner, I have no problem communicating with coaches. This time of year there always seems to be a plethora of concerns :rolleyes:

Coach: Do we get it at half court?

In 3-5 years if they are fortunate enough, absolutely. But not today sir/ma'am.

Coach: Can we run the baseline?

Absolutely, but I'll call the violation because there was not a made basket.

Saying "coach you can do whatever you want" & then making the call against them when they do it, is not good GM.

bbcof83 Tue Jun 02, 2009 02:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 606252)
Saying "coach you can do whatever you want" & then making the call against them when they do it, is not good GM.

Agreed, especially when the ump new this move would decide the game (and if I read the OP correctly he must have). At least in basketball our actions never DIRECTLY decide the outcome of a game (ie. a FT must still be made after a technical) so if we give an answer like this it's almost a little more excusable. I find this action as bad as it gets as he knew this would end the game and it didn't have to be that way.

Raymond Tue Jun 02, 2009 02:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbcof83 (Post 606263)
Agreed, especially when the ump new this move would decide the game (and if I read the OP correctly he must have). At least in basketball our actions never DIRECTLY decide the outcome of a game (ie. a FT must still be made after a technical) so if we give an answer like this it's almost a little more excusable. I find this action as bad as it gets as he knew this would end the game and it didn't have to be that way.

In your opinion it would have been OK if it happened in the 3rd inning and the defensive team was up by 5 runs?

bbcof83 Tue Jun 02, 2009 02:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbcof83 (Post 606263)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 606270)
In your opinion it would have been OK if it happened in the 3rd inning and the defensive team was up by 5 runs?

No, I guess what I meant was that the ump new that by giving the coach this response he was more than creating an advantage, he was giving runs to one team. This crappy situation was completely preventable.

I would never think of giving such an arrogant answer to a question about a rule, regardless of the situation. By doing so you are making the choice to forego an opportunity to teach and be a good steward of the game. Do you disagree? I'm not saying I would sit and explain the entire rule from A to Z. Certainly a "That would be an illegal move, coach. I can explain why between innings." would have done the trick.

Mark Padgett Tue Jun 02, 2009 03:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 606243)
If a coach asks if he can do "XYZ" would you quote the rule or give the answer allegedly given above.

I'd certainly tell him he could do "XYZ", but not "YMCA", especially if he was going to use costumes and music.

http://gaygamer.net/images/ymca.jpg

It gets worse.

YouTube - Faces Of Disco - Britains Got Talent 2009 Ep 6

Raymond Tue Jun 02, 2009 03:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbcof83 (Post 606273)
No, I guess what I meant was that the ump new that by giving the coach this response he was more than creating an advantage, he was giving runs to one team. This crappy situation was completely preventable.

I would never think of giving such an arrogant answer to a question about a rule, regardless of the situation. By doing so you are making the choice to forego an opportunity to teach and be a good steward of the game. Do you disagree? I'm not saying I would sit and explain the entire rule from A to Z. Certainly a "That would be an illegal move, coach. I can explain why between innings." would have done the trick.

I basically agree with you. For me it all depends on what/how the coach is communicating. If he/she just makes a statement "I'm going to blah-blah-blah" then I won't say anything. But if they ask "Is blah-blah-blah permissable by rule" then I would give a rulebook related answer.

In the softball situation from the OP I don't know what was actually said by any of the parties.

Nevadaref Tue Jun 02, 2009 05:55pm

If a coach doesn't come to a contest prepared with solid rules knowledge that is a detriment to his team. I don't believe that it is the game official's duty to help him, and his team, through his ignorance.

I would likely respond by telling the coach that it would inappropriate for me to provide information that would alter or aide in his coaching strategy. Those are choices that he has to make on his own and possibly learn as he goes.

BillyMac Tue Jun 02, 2009 06:59pm

Slightly Off Topic, Slightly On Topic ???

This kind of reminds me something that happened to my Babe Ruth baseball team (13, 14, 15 years old) back in the late 1960's. It was mid season. My team, Orange Diagnostic, hadn't won a game. The opposing team that night, Giordano's, also had not won a game, our early season match-up had been rained out. We were both desperate to win our first game, and one team would do so that night. Lots of excitement in the air. The opposing coach, Mr. Atkinson, I remember his name forty years later, watched our best pitcher, Gary Rispoli, now an IAABO official here in Connecticut, take his warmup tosses, before the top of the first inning was to begin. After Gary's first real pitch, Mr. Atkinson came out of his dugout, with an official Babe Ruth rule book in his hand, and approached the umpire. Back then, there were all kinds of rules regarding how many innings pitchers could toss in a week, and how many days rest they had to have between pitching at least one pitch in a game. Our coach has miscalculated the days off rule due to a madeup rain out game, but Mr. Atkinson knew that Gary had pitched a few innings only a few days ago, and didn't get the required rest. Mr. Atkinson demanded a forfeit, and the umpire gave it to him. He could have protested before Gary's first pitch, and our coach would have put in another pitcher. No baseball game that night. We all went home. Mr. Atkinson's team got their first win of the season, and we went winless the rest of the season, 0 W -15 L. I remember the situation like it was yesterday.

Look up poor sportsmanship in the dictionary, and you'll see a picture of Mr. Atkinson, the coach of the 1967, Giordano's, Orange, Connecticut, Babe Ruth baseball team. And, boy, does he look proud of himself in that photo.

IREFU2 Wed Jun 03, 2009 08:10am

I will answer a quick question, but I will not give a clinic. If the coach insists on asking such questions, he will have to take a TO and then he has 30 or 60 seconds to get his answer.

Amesman Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 606323)
No baseball game that night. We all went home.

Saddest part of the story. At 13-15 years old, even his own players had to feel cheated, especially when you're playing only 15 games a season. Musta been some bad blood between the coaches, or was this guy just that miserable of a human being?

Brad Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 606310)
If a coach doesn't come to a contest prepared with solid rules knowledge that is a detriment to his team. I don't believe that it is the game official's duty to help him, and his team, through his ignorance.

I would likely respond by telling the coach that it would inappropriate for me to provide information that would alter or aide in his coaching strategy. Those are choices that he has to make on his own and possibly learn as he goes.

Nevada - you never fail to deliver!

Just answer the dang question!

JRutledge Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:34am

I simply answer the question the best way without going into too much detail. If is before the game this is easier to do. If it is during the game it is much harder and the answer might be shorter. Most of all the way and how I answer is determined by the person asking the question with their professionalism and demeanor. Just because they ask a question does not mean they need an answer. That is not our primary job. But if they ask us when we are not preoccupied and we have are able to answer, why not answer a question on some level.

Peace