The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 06:26pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Someone should send one of those to this guy.

Old Fri May 29, 2009, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
But understand the spirit of the rule and why it was written -- to prevent confusion. (i.e. undershirts of one team are similar in color to their opponents uniform)

Is white or yellow similar enough to gold that it will not cause confusion? Yes.
That makes no sense at all. If my team is wearing gold uniforms, what color is your team wearing? WHITE. So you're going to let one team wear white uniforms and the other team wear white t-shirts under their gold jerseys. C'mon Brad.

The rule was written the same reason all uniform rules are written: so the team looks like a team.

No, white is in no way similiar to gold. That's like saying blue is similiar to green.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
That makes no sense at all. If my team is wearing gold uniforms, what color is your team wearing? WHITE. So you're going to let one team wear white uniforms and the other team wear white t-shirts under their gold jerseys. C'mon Brad.

The rule was written the same reason all uniform rules are written: so the team looks like a team.

No, white is in no way similiar to gold. That's like saying blue is similiar to green.
Don't forget that he is going to treat both teams equally, so the home team in the white jerseys is going to be permitted to wear gold/yellow undershirts.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

really late to this one

Its funny to me that coaches will ask officials before a game to be sure to have "my player change their shirt because the player doesn't believe me."

I have no problem obliging, but coach you are in charge of your team, and who gets playing time. Part of the rules governing the coach is that their team will attempt to play within the rules....which unfortunately includes what is worn.

Coaches, take control of your teams. You are in charge of who gets playing time. If you have a kid that can't play any D, how long are you going let them play? It is obvious that the players don't respect you enough, if you cannot get them to conform to the rules.

A comment that I have found useful in talking with players, especially if they are thinking about playing basketball beyond HS:
"#34 there are college coaches watching you tonite, and they want to be sure that you are coachable," (meaning if you can't follow the simple rules, they don't have time to teach you the stuff you should already understand).
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 02:16am
Huck Finn

I would say pointing out the fact that the home team must be wearing white is valid. I also agree that this, like some other areas, is something I don't want to split hairs about. Since I don't want to split hairs, the team must have on the correct color undershirts period.

When it comes to shirts being tucked in, I'm not so strict when they come in the game. I would just tell them to tuck it in before they enter the game. If all three officials are on the same page, how many times would this really happen in a game? I would also like to point out how stupid I think the whole shirt thing is anyway. Raise your hand if you've told a kid to tuck in his shirt and watched him/her spend a stupid amount of time arranging their shirt so it would come out again. When I played, I would tuck it in, raise my arms so the shirt would allow my freedom of movement and get on with it. Then again, I also liked to double tie my shoes so I wouldn't have to spend time with them later. Silly me for not doing all these cool things that really add points to the scoreboard.