The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

View Poll Results: cheese (this is a completely on topic poll, sorry if you disagree)
with cheese 2 66.67%
without cheese 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 03:09am
Official Forum Member

bulls/wizards backcourt violation

one of the bulls shot a free throw, and missed, and one of the wizards rebounded it. the bulls immediately trapped him in the backcourt, so he was having a hard time finding an open guy to pass it to. at the same time, one of the wizards was already in the front court, but started coming back to receive the pass. the wizard with the ball saw him and threw the ball. as the ball was in the air, nearing the half court line, the wizard jumped from the frontcourt, caught the ball in mid air, and then landed with one foot in the frontcourt, and one in the backcourt. is this a violation?

i thought the player first had to have possession of the ball AND establish BOTH feet in the frontcourt for there to be a possibility of a violation. he established himself in the front court, but he didn't have the ball. when he did possess the ball, he was in mid air, so he can land wherever he wants, right? it's the same exact thing as if you were to jump from the frontcourt, catch the ball, and then land both feet in the backcourt, which i believe is legal. did the ref make the wrong call here, along with the announcers? i say yes.

Last edited by PackersFTW; Tue Mar 24, 2009 at 03:11am.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 06:58am
Keeper of the HAMMER

You're wrong. This is a violation.

Team control is already established by the first player who is trapped.
As soon as your airborne player catches the ball, the ball gains FC status since he jumped from the FC.
Violation as soon as he lands in the BC. Every time at all levels.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackersFTW View Post
i thought the player first had to have possession of the ball AND establish BOTH feet in the frontcourt for there to be a possibility of a violation.
That's only during a dribble from BC to FC. (at least in NFHS and NCAA rules. IDK & IDC about NBA rules)
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
That's only during a dribble from BC to FC. (at least in NFHS and NCAA rules. IDK & IDC about NBA rules)
What are NBA rules?
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 09:55am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
What are NBA rules?
Apocryphal?
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 10:09am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Lightbulb You chose to watch the Bulls and the Wizards?

I had my choice - that game or something good!

So, I flipped channels and tuned in Hogans Heroes Season 3, Episode 4: Sergeant Schultz Meets Mata Hari. Original Air Date—30 September 1967.

A Gestapo female operative tries to lure secrets out of Sergeant Schultz.

Now, THAT's entertainment!
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
A Gestapo female operative tries to lure secrets out of Sergeant Schultz.

Now, THAT's entertainment!
Sounds like something Bob Crane might have tried at some point, depending on what "secrets" means.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 12:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Sounds like something Bob Crane might have tried at some point, depending on what "secrets" means.
Does this qualify for obscure reference of the day?
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What are NBA rules?
Isn't this an oxymoron?
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 02:08pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Absolutely, and some of us understand it!
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You're wrong. This is a violation.

Team control is already established by the first player who is trapped.

As soon as your airborne player catches the ball, the ball gains FC status since he jumped from the FC. Violation as soon as he lands in the BC. Every time at all levels.
i thought this might be the case. it makes sense. it's just jamison was explaining to the ref that he was in the air, then landed. he wasn't denying he had his foot on the line. then that made me think of the rule that you must establish all 3 things in the frontcourt first. i just wan't sure if you had to have possession of the ball before your feet counted; you don't.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 02:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
i thought this might be the case. it makes sense. it's just jamison was explaining to the ref that he was in the air, then landed. he wasn't denying he had his foot on the line. then that made me think of the rule that you must establish all 3 things in the frontcourt first. i just wan't sure if you had to have possession of the ball before your feet counted; you don't.
The only time you need 3 points (two feet and the ball) in the FC to establish is when you're dribbling. A player who is not dribbling, but is holding the ball, needs only have one foot down in the FC and nothing touching the BC for the ball to gain FC status.

An airborne player has his location determined by where he last touched the floor, so once he holds the ball, the ball has the same location as the player.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I had my choice - that game or something good!

So, I flipped channels and tuned in Hogans Heroes Season 3, Episode 4: Sergeant Schultz Meets Mata Hari. Original Air Date30 September 1967.

A Gestapo female operative tries to lure secrets out of Sergeant Schultz. Now, THAT's entertainment!
thanks for the contributive post.

Quote:
nah, it's just another idiot who, everytime the nba is mentioned, has to insult it. should i go into threads that aren't nba or nfl and mock those leagues solely because i don't care for them? what if said all college sports lack talent, and stated it to be fact? fact or not, it's immature and rude to keep insulting something when nobody asked you to be a troll and/or hijack the thread. and the fact that people mostly talk about non-pro on here has NOTHING to do with why you would come into every thread of a certain sport and leave ignorant comments.

Last edited by PackersFTW; Tue Mar 24, 2009 at 02:37pm. Reason: typos
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
nah, it's just aother idiot who, everytime the nba is mentioned, has to insult it. should i go into threads that aren't nba or nfl and mock those leagues solely because i don't care for them? what if said all college sports lack talent, and stated it to be fact? and kept going into every thread on here being a troll? and the fact that people mostly talk about non-pro on here has NOTHING to do with why you wuld come into every nba or nf thread of mine and leave ignorant comments.
Thanks for the contributive post.

Didn't you get your answer in post #2 and #3? You have the right to ignore what you don't want and simply discuss the question and answer at hand, or you can chose to attack people by using comments such as "idiot", "troll" and "leave ignorant comments".

I see what you chose. Pot = kettle.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 02:40pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
thanks for the contributive post.

nah, it's just aother idiot who, everytime the nba is mentioned, has to insult it. should i go into threads that aren't nba or nfl and mock those leagues solely because i don't care for them? what if said all college sports lack talent, and stated it to be fact? fact or not, it's immature and rude to kee insulting something when nobody asked you to be a troll and/or hijack the thread. and the fact that people mostly talk about non-pro on here has NOTHING to do with why you would come into every thread of a certain sport and leave ignorant comments.
Well, grunewar lives in Northern Va so I think his dismissive post has more to do with the quality of Wizards' basketball. In other words, why would anyone waste time watching the Whizzz?

I haven't watched more than 5 minutes of Wizards basketball all season and I live in a Wizards broadcasting market. I've even turned down free tickets.