The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 05, 2006, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Correctable error - Cavs vs. Wizards game 6

Just saw a correctable error in the Cavs vs. Wizards game. Haywood was flagrantly fouled by Drew Gooden, but Carron Butler shot one FT as if it was a technical foul. I thought the announcers might have just called the wrong, but I could hear the PA announcer in the background say that it was a flagrant foul.

Several minutes later the officials corrected the error, erased the FT by Butler and had Haywood shoot his 2 FTs.

I didn't know that the NBA allowed a correctable error to be fixed so far after the incident. The way that it played out, the situation wouldn't have been correctable in NFHS or NCAA.
Old Sat May 06, 2006, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dribble
Just saw a correctable error in the Cavs vs. Wizards game. Haywood was flagrantly fouled by Drew Gooden, but Carron Butler shot one FT as if it was a technical foul. I thought the announcers might have just called the wrong, but I could hear the PA announcer in the background say that it was a flagrant foul.

Several minutes later the officials corrected the error, erased the FT by Butler and had Haywood shoot his 2 FTs.

I didn't know that the NBA allowed a correctable error to be fixed so far after the incident. The way that it played out, the situation wouldn't have been correctable in NFHS or NCAA.
I have no idea how the NBA handles correctable errors. Perhaps Chuck will come along tomorrow and post something from the NBA rulebook. I do know that if they kicked it, they will be fined for it. The fine for kicking a rule used to be $1000 a few years back.

What I wish to comment on is the decision NOT to call basket interference, or possibly it would fall under goaltending in the NBA rules, on the play near the end of the game when a player stuck his hand up through the ring from below, but DID NOT touch the ball.

In NFHS and NCAA this would have been an ugly, but completely legal play. I don't know what the NBA rule says (Chuck, please post it!), but they guys on ESPN were discussion it and said that they got clarification from Stu Jackson, whoever that is. They mentioned something about causing the ball to take an unnatural bounce would be illegal. It does seem that the official got this one correct though.
Old Sat May 06, 2006, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to TADW_Elessar Send a message via Skype™ to TADW_Elessar
Quote:
In NFHS and NCAA this would have been an ugly, but completely legal play.
It would have been legal according to FIBA rules:

13.2.2 "To reach through the basket from below and touch the ball on a pass or rebound is a violation."
31.2.4 "Interference occurs during a shot for a field goal when:
• A player reaches through the basket from below and touches the ball."

And NBA rules too:

11-I-h
A Player Shall Not:
[...]Touch the ball at any time with a hand which is through the basket ring.

[email protected]
Old Sat May 06, 2006, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
The correctable error situation is kind of murky to me. The rules (Rule 2 Section VI-A-a) say that the official "shall be notified of a possible error at the first dead ball." But they don't say how it's handled if they're not notified at that point. If the error is corrected within 24 seconds, then everything (except unsportsmanlike and flagrant fouls) that happened after the error is wiped out, the clock is reset to the time of the error, and the resume by fixing the error and playing on (2-VI-A-f).

But here is a case book play from my old Q & A:
Quote:
The Scorer's Table fails to notify the officials that Team A is in the penalty when a common foul occurs with 5:50 remaining in the period. The error is discovered with 2:30 remaining int he same period. How is the play administered?
As soon as the ball is dead or Team A has possession and not on a fast break, the scorer's table shall notify the officials. If the play-by-play shows that Team A scored a successful field goal or was awarded free throw attempts as the result of a personal foul on the next possession, the error shall be ignored. If it does not show either, the player that was fouled shall attempt 1 plus 1 for 2 free throws. Play is resumed at the point of interruption. RULE 2 - SECTION VI - A - (1)
So apparently, you fix it anytime, as long as they didn't get points or FTs as a result of the foul.

As to the GT/BI call, that part of it is the same as FED/NCAA. It's a violation to touch the ball while reaching through the basket from below. It's not listed as a violation merely to reach up through the basket. (11-1-h).