The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

THIS had never happened . . . until now!

I had to share this story, because honestly, it is cracking me up. Anyway . . .

I am assigned 3A boys game tonight (1st round playoffs). I was requested by both coaches so I get the game. Great game! Team A up in the 1st, Team B comes back to tie, then goes ahead by one. 2nd Q, Team A stinks it up and goes in at half down by 12. 3rd Q is even, so change in the difference in scores. 4th Q, Team A makes a run, gets it to 2 with 41.9 sec left to play. Each team exchanges a couple of baskets and Team B holds on to win by 4 after a couple fouls by Team A.

Now the "never happened to me" part. We get off the floor after the final horn/buzzer, b/c I don't ever stay on the floor after the game. We do our post-game talk, take a shower and head out of the gym. I get to my truck and notice a note under my windshield wiper. When I get home I take it out and read it. [I THOUGHT it was a note from my G/F who had been at the game. As Ron White might say, "I was WRONG!!"]

So I open the note, written on the back of an old envelope, and it says, "Go Back to Referee School cause you don't know what your doing." Probably from an old bill too . . . I can't get no respect!

Of course, they didn't leave a return address either. Darn . . .
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 12:31am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Scary that they knew which truck was yours.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 01:39am
In Time Out

say you will if they foot the bill. institution is expensive these days. bunch of students running around in their zebra shirts
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 02:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin View Post
I had to share this story, because honestly, it is cracking me up. Anyway . . .

I am assigned 3A boys game tonight (1st round playoffs). I was requested by both coaches so I get the game. Great game! Team A up in the 1st, Team B comes back to tie, then goes ahead by one. 2nd Q, Team A stinks it up and goes in at half down by 12. 3rd Q is even, so change in the difference in scores. 4th Q, Team A makes a run, gets it to 2 with 41.9 sec left to play. Each team exchanges a couple of baskets and Team B holds on to win by 4 after a couple fouls by Team A.

Now the "never happened to me" part. We get off the floor after the final horn/buzzer, b/c I don't ever stay on the floor after the game. We do our post-game talk, take a shower and head out of the gym. I get to my truck and notice a note under my windshield wiper. When I get home I take it out and read it. [I THOUGHT it was a note from my G/F who had been at the game. As Ron White might say, "I was WRONG!!"]

So I open the note, written on the back of an old envelope, and it says, "Go Back to Referee School cause you don't know what your doing." Probably from an old bill too . . . I can't get no respect!

So in your area the officials who are chummy with the coaches and please them get the games. Not a criticism of you, but rather of the way that your area does it. This is the kind of thing that I find offensive. Not only could it compromise the integrity of the game, but it is grossly unfair to any quality official who is not liked by a coach. The assignor should put who he believes will perform the best on the floor, not who the coaches like.

Actually, it appears that your familiarity with a one of these persons came back to bite you tonight. You are fortunate that this individual did not damage your vehicle.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Wed Feb 25, 2009 at 02:16am.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 02:04am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:

Gonna go out on a limb and say somebody from team A school.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 06:52am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
I get to my truck and notice a note under my windshield wiper. When I get home I take it out and read it.
Man, do you have a lot of self-discipline!
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
So in your area the officials who are chummy with the coaches and please them get the games. Not a criticism of you, but rather of the way that your area does it. This is the kind of thing that I find offensive. Not only could it compromise the integrity of the game, but it is grossly unfair to any quality official who is not liked by a coach. The assignor should put who he believes will perform the best on the floor, not who the coaches like.

Actually, it appears that your familiarity with a one of these persons came back to bite you tonight. You are fortunate that this individual did not damage your vehicle.
First, I take great offense to the comment in RED. I am NOT "chummy" with the coaches. In fact, most coaches don't like the fact that when I officiate I am very "matter of fact." And, because you clearly aren't aware of how the system works here, let me provide you with some background . . .

See, the two playoff team’s head coaches meet to decide all types of factors, such as:

1. Where they will play the playoff game.
2. Who will be the home team.
3. What CHAPTER they will use.
4. etc., etc.

The two coaches in this case agreed on the Chapter because both happen to use our Chapter during the season. Then, both coaches submitted lists of officials that they would like to have on the game. Both lists were sent INDEPENDENTLY to our Chapter Assignor. He looked at both lists to find any common officials. There were four, and I was one of the four. Another official was chosen as the alternate after I confirmed that I was available for the game . . . through a phone call with my Chapter Assignor.

Now, that being said, coaches all over the country choose officials all the time. How do you think Steve Welmer gets 120 games every year?? Also, in Texas, especially in the playoffs, most assignments come from the UIL (our governing body for athletics). The UIL calls a chapter close to where the game will be played and then the Chapter’s Board or the President & Assigning Secretary then choose who will be on the game. (Got a couple of those this year too, and a Regional Assignment.)

Finally, I am the #2 RANKED official in our Chapter, so for me, there is NO question of whether or not I deserved the game. And to add, I took it as an honor that both coaches INDEPENDENTLY requested four quality officials and I was fortunate enough to be among them. If that bothers you, or anyone else for that matter, well, there’s nothing I can do about that.

OH, and as for familiarity, it's hard to get "familiar" with a school or team that you call 2 times in a season that runs from October to March. Don't you think??

Last edited by bigdogrunnin; Wed Feb 25, 2009 at 08:54am.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Man, do you have a lot of self-discipline!
No, no. Did you read the OP, man? He thought the note was from his girlfriend.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
First, I take great offense to the comment in RED. I am NOT "chummy" with the coaches. In fact, most coaches don't like the fact that when I officiate I am very "matter of fact." And, because you clearly aren't aware of how the system works here, let me provide you with some background . . .

See, the two playoff team’s head coaches meet to decide all types of factors, such as:

4. etc., etc.

The two coaches in this case agreed on the Chapter because both happen to use our Chapter during the season. Then, both coaches submitted lists of officials that they would like to have on the game. Both lists were sent INDEPENDENTLY to our Chapter Assignor. He looked at both lists to find any common officials. There were four, and I was one of the four. Another official was chosen as the alternate after I confirmed that I was available for the game . . . through a phone call with my Chapter Assignor.

Now, that being said, coaches all over the country choose officials all the time. How do you think Steve Welmer gets 120 games every year?? Also, in Texas, especially in the playoffs, most assignments come from the UIL (our governing body for athletics). The UIL calls a chapter close to where the game will be played and then the Chapter’s Board or the President & Assigning Secretary then choose who will be on the game. (Got a couple of those this year too, and a Regional Assignment.)

Finally, I am the #2 RANKED official in our Chapter, so for me, there is NO question of whether or not I deserved the game. And to add, I took it as an honor that both coaches INDEPENDENTLY requested four quality officials and I was fortunate enough to be among them. If that bothers you, or anyone else for that matter, well, there’s nothing I can do about that.

OH, and as for familiarity, it's hard to get "familiar" with a school or team that you call 2 times in a season that runs from October to March. Don't you think??
I wouldn't get too offended by the comments. Until you explained it, I must admit I thought it was odd that you were requested by the coaches for a playoff game.
I guess every state or association does things differently.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

4. etc., etc.

IMO...this is a very stupid way to run your playoff system...but just my opinion.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 10:16am
MABO Member

I don't find it unusual at all. He has obviously earned his reputation and is noticed for the work done previously. A similar thing happened to me at a VB tournament last week. Because of weather the schedules got all messed up and the finals were moved to late on Saturday. The director of the tournamnet called our assignor and specifically asked for my partner and I because we had done previous games in the tournament and got good reviews from every coach involved.
Seems fair to me. Well done I say and YES take it as a HUGE COMPLIMENT.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
I was thinking the same thing regarding requesting an official, especially for state playoffs. I've never heard of this. Can I ask what state you're in?
Here in the great state of Texas, the high school coaches RUN basketball and football for sure. Excellent game managment skills are a premium for officials who want to work. LOL!
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Coaches should not have a direct influence such as this in deciding who works their playoff games (or conference games).
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 10:20am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

What part of, "Not a criticism of you, but rather of the way that your area does it." did you miss? Also, where did he so much as suggest you didn't deserve the game?

As the #2 ranked official in your chapter, I'd have guessed you'd have thicker skin. And it looks like he was right, someone knew which truck you were driving; and it wasn't your girlfriend.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalfan View Post
I wouldn't get too offended by the comments. Until you explained it, I must admit I thought it was odd that you were requested by the coaches for a playoff game.
I guess every state or association does things differently.
Ditto.......still seems a bit odd.