The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So in your area the officials who are chummy with the coaches and please them get the games.
Since he didn't say anything close to that, why are you trying to start something?
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 07:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Do not place near a flammable source.

Here in Connecticut, the coaches, all of them, not just the ones whose teams made state tournament (40% winning percentage), vote for officials to work tournament games. The ones with the most votes, work all the way to the state finals. The officials with fewer votes, drop out as the rounds progress. Some exceptions. If both schools are from our local board, then our officials will get those games. If one school is from board A, and another is from Board B, then officials from Board C, or Board D, will work the game. Believe it or not, the coaches make excellent choices. The guys who are selected for the tournament are usually our better officials, in terms of colleague ratings, and rankings. The ones selected for state finals are usually the cream of the crop, our best officials.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 10:34pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin View Post
I had to share this story, because honestly, it is cracking me up. Anyway . . .

I am assigned 3A boys game tonight (1st round playoffs). I was requested by both coaches so I get the game. Great game! Team A up in the 1st, Team B comes back to tie, then goes ahead by one. 2nd Q, Team A stinks it up and goes in at half down by 12. 3rd Q is even, so change in the difference in scores. 4th Q, Team A makes a run, gets it to 2 with 41.9 sec left to play. Each team exchanges a couple of baskets and Team B holds on to win by 4 after a couple fouls by Team A.

Now the "never happened to me" part. We get off the floor after the final horn/buzzer, b/c I don't ever stay on the floor after the game. We do our post-game talk, take a shower and head out of the gym. I get to my truck and notice a note under my windshield wiper. When I get home I take it out and read it. [I THOUGHT it was a note from my G/F who had been at the game. As Ron White might say, "I was WRONG!!"]

So I open the note, written on the back of an old envelope, and it says, "Go Back to Referee School cause you don't know what your doing." Probably from an old bill too . . . I can't get no respect!

Of course, they didn't leave a return address either. Darn . . .
I hope you reamed out your partner.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

Just a quick note to ensure that there is no misunderstanding my position on this.

First, I wish to publicly congratulate bigdogrunnin on his postseason assignment. I'm sure that he earned it.

My criticism is NOT of him or of his officiating ability as I have never met him nor seen him work. However, I have a serious problem with the way that his area allows the coaches to select the officials for these games. I believe that that process lends itself to tremendous difficulties.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

If school had cameras, you might verify that it was your G/F who wrote the note.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
If school had cameras, you might verify that it was your G/F who wrote the note.
LOL . . . She DID give me a dirty look when we went to eat after the game. Maybe she wanted the other team to win. That . . . and the handwriting DID look eerily familiar!!
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 10:41am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin View Post
LOL . . . She DID give me a dirty look when we went to eat after the game. Maybe she wanted the other team to win. That . . . and the handwriting DID look eerily familiar!!

That explains why you didn't retrieve the note right away.