Old Fri Jul 29, 2005, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
The whole forums’s gone "touchy". Thing’s ain’t what
They used to be.

Whatever happened to plain speaking?
And pure BS ?
And nice phrasing?
Why is it everyone now is a pain in the ***?
Whatever happened to class?

Whatever happened to speaking one's mind?
And leaving it there for any to see?
And letting the reader decide?
Do we now have a censoring snake in the grass?
Whatever happened to class?

Just curious.

JM
Old Sat Jul 30, 2005, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

So,

RatJM:

If you had a post up that one poster told another to "suck dick" would you allow that to stand?

Moderators sometimes fail to understand things, right?
Old Sat Jul 30, 2005, 11:00am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Re: So,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
RatJM:

If you had a post up that one poster told another to "suck dick" would you allow that to stand?

Tim and Coach,
Oh, my! Neither moderators, nor administrators, read each post. Do you?

If there is a particular problem that you have with a post or poster, please feel free to send bob jenkins or me an e-mail.

I did read the post that Tim C. wrote, and I thought it was "topshelf".
mick

Old Sat Jul 30, 2005, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Cool Re: So,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
RatJM:

Tim,

While I did find a couple of the posts on the thread in question quite juvenile and in poor taste (not to mention the choice of language, lah me), to me this is simply a reflection of the quality of the offending author's thinking.

In general, I found the thread quite interesting, and the irony priceless, though admittedly somewhat elliptical - I guess I would agree with Mick that I found the thread as a whole "topshelf".

Just as in a baseball game, if the cretins are allowed too much influence over what happens, it only encourages the cretins & spoils things for everyone else.

From my perspective, this was a case of "tossing the baby with the bathwater".

Also, I am afraid that my powers of discrimination are not so fine as to be able to determine what makes "suck dick" unacceptable, while "fukstick" (sp?) is perfectly OK. Perhaps you could enlighten.

JM

(Edited for clarity.)

[Edited by CoachJM on Jul 30th, 2005 at 12:43 PM]
Old Sat Jul 30, 2005, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Sure JM,

"Fukstick" is a classic Canadian term of long accepted roots on umpire internet boards.

And I thought that you, a pseudo-intellectual, would have seen the "intended" humor by the post being made by me, the lyrics of the song, and the eventual outcome of the thread.

At least, in retrospect, you did finally "step to the plate."
Old Sat Jul 30, 2005, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

It may have been my post that did that one in. But I am confused. I merely wished to point out what I thought was an ironic situation. On the one hand a lively thread on classy behavior while participating on an internet board, while simultaneaously on another active thread someone was using vulgar and threatening language. It should be noted that that particular thread: "You can't talk to the batter", is still active while "Whatever happened to class" was killed.

I thinks that defines irony!

Mike
Old Sat Jul 30, 2005, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Tim,

Thanks for the clarification. While I do have a couple of good friends of the Canadian persuasion, I'm afraid some of the more subtle nuances of the Canadian dialect remain elusive to me, eh?

Perhaps by the social norms of East Tennessee, invitations to oral copulation are considered "clever repartee" or simply good-natured banter. Based on some other posts, there are apparently other practices which are considered acceptable there that would not be considered so elsewhere.

As to your gentle jibe regarding my pretensions, given the recent "high-brow" direction being taken in the Forum, I fear you may have a point.

Discussions of comparative religion and theology.

Drumbum's frighteningly accurate emulation of the writing style of William Faulkner in some of his early postings (Ref.: "As I Lay Dying", My Mother is a Fish); the surrealistic musings of SAUmp which call to mind both Joyce and Pynchon; and dudeinblue's (perhaps overly) ambitious attempts to synthesize the writing styles of Jim Evans, Henry Miller, and Hugh Selby in his posts. Sure, he's not quite there yet, but given the scope of his ambition, that's hardly surprising.

Occasionally there are even discussions of the proper application of some of the more arcane rules of baseball and advanced umpiring mechanics.

Given this incredibly rich milieu, I may indeed be "in over my head". I'll try to watch it. But, if I don't challenge myself, how am I supposed to get better?

JM
Old Sat Jul 30, 2005, 03:49pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by fwump
It may have been my post that did that one in. But I am confused. I merely wished to point out what I thought was an ironic situation. On the one hand a lively thread on classy behavior while participating on an internet board, while simultaneaously on another active thread someone was using vulgar and threatening language. It should be noted that that particular thread: "You can't talk to the batter", is still active while "Whatever happened to class" was killed.

I thinks that defines irony!

Mike
fwump,
That post [you noted] has been tweaked.
mick