The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

well it happened, well almost happened

After all the Blarge talk last week, how many of us had one this weekend???... I'm T in a two whistle game. Girl dribbles from my primary, about 2 feet outside the block there is a collision. On the whistle I go, hand in the air, as it is heading to the back of my head for the PC, I notice it appears that my partner is in an old west shootout, you know reaching for the sixguns, which would be on his hips....I hesitate slightly, he looks in my direction at the same time, I should point out that I didn't hear his whistle, when he looks his arms go limp and to his sides, then he points for me to take the call...which was nice because by now my palm is firmly glued to the back of my head....I go to report and hear A's coach setting up what he thinks will be his inbounds play....When he hears the number and color of the jersey, lets just say he didn't agree....Told me it was right in front of my partner...Which it was by that time because he had started to move over (3 man sneaking in here)..I explained that it was my call came from my area stayed in my area....at this time P comes over and says "coach, that was my fault, it was his area, his call....it looks bad, but it is my fault"...coach got over it and on we went.... A couple things came out of the discussion afterward, number one going 3 man most of the year then having to do 2 man sucks LOL....We didn't pregame that scenario quite enough, because as a group we try to release to the lead even though that isn't what the book says, we as a group feel more comfortable with the look the lead has, and to be sure, he probably had a better look than me. The coach also added, the play was coming right to him....that lastly, when that happens, you can stand united in that it was their/my call, their/my area, but it is hard to then add the sell, it was in his primary and it was the right call, because just 3 seconds ago, you didn't think it was the right call LOL.....
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews
at this time P comes over and says "coach, that was my fault, it was his area, his call....it looks bad, but it is my fault"...coach got over it and on we went.... .
Now that's a good partner!
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
The one and only time I was involved in a blarge happened exactly this way. 2 man juco game, I was T, ball in my area and the contact happened just above the block on my side. I whistled and pointed downcourt for the charge, my partner had just rotated over and blew the whistle as he was slamming his hands against his hips.

Both coaches were fine with it, they just wanted to know who would get the ball.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

When I work two-person I like to split the lane right in half for coverage responsibilities.

The lead must have a patient whistle on drive to the basket from the trail's primary area.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
Now that's a good partner!
Yep one of my favorites, but a disturbing trend has developed....2 of the last 3 games we worked together were double overtime LOL
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 02:11pm
Courageous When Prudent

As a mattered of fact, I had an almost.

2-Whistle, 13-14 boys Rec League. In transition after a made basket. Crash right behind my partner's left (inside) shoulder as she's going up the court as new lead. I didn't think she was looking so I come too quick with my whistle. My partner whistles right after me and comes with a block at the same time I needed to scratch the back of my head. We went with my partner's block b/c technically all I did after blowing my whistle was take care of that bothersome dandruff problem I have (despite the fact I have a bald head )
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef
When I work two-person I like to split the lane right in half for coverage responsibilities.

The lead must have a patient whistle on drive to the basket from the trail's primary area.
It doesn't matter where you split the coverage, there will be some time when the play is "right on" the line.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
As a mattered of fact, I had an almost.

2-Whistle, 13-14 boys Rec League. In transition after a made basket. Crash right behind my partner's left (inside) shoulder as she's going up the court as new lead. I didn't think she was looking so I come too quick with my whistle. My partner whistles right after me and comes with a block at the same time I needed to scratch the back of my head. We went with my partner's block b/c technically all I did after blowing my whistle was take care of that bothersome dandruff problem I have (despite the fact I have a bald head )

Now thats funny for those of us who know you! The other signal I have used is for the "foul - no wait - bite the whistle and see what happens before you blow it call". I usually end up flexing my sore arm at the elbow while holding a clenched fist for this one.