The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 10:24am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Official View Post
Here in the great state of Texas, the high school coaches RUN basketball and football for sure. Excellent game managment skills are The willingness to put up with sh!t from coaches without taking care of business isa premium for officials who want to work. LOL!
Fixed it for you.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Fixed it for you.
LOL!!!!!

If you're great at game management then you won't have to put up with "sh!t" as you say...Excellent communicators go very far in this world...
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 10:35am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Official View Post
LOL!!!!!

If you're great at game management then you won't have to put up with "sh!t" as you say...Excellent communicators go very far in this world...
While I agree with you in theory, this kind of coach-loaded evaluation leads to officials being afraid to pull the trigger. Even the best communicators have to call the T now and then, and some coaches will walk all over them if they have the power.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Bad, bad, bad idea

I'm sure the OP is honest, hardworking and a great official.

But the system his association uses stinks.

Anytime coaches exert any kind of influence over who works tournament or prestige games, there is a cloud over all officials in every game.

These two coaches may have played each other twice during the season, and gotten a look at their preferred coaches in a head to head tilt. But I doubt it. More likely, the teams didn't play during the season, or if they did it wasn't necessarily with the same officials. So a lot of the coach's impression is based on the official's work in games featuring a contending team against non-contenders.

If coaches can influence who works their games, then the coach of a contender makes a recommendation based, in major part, on the official's performance in games against a non-contenders, it leads to allegations that officials working such games are trying to get in good with the contending coach to get tournament games.

It stinks to high heaven. Let coaches coach, let officials ref and let evaluators evaluate.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

I was lucky enough to be selected to officiate a 1st round and a semi-final post season District games. I believe the process of selecting officials goes this way. Coaches of the participating schools submit a list of 'Want' and 'Do NOT Want' officials to the Athletic Director. The AD's of the, host schools, gets together with the other AD's, of host schools, and select officials (Hopefully from the list). They select the officials for their final game first, then the semi-final, and so on. This year, School 'A' hosts District games. Official 'A' use to be employed by that school. He was the Varsity Boys Head Coach at one time and he also was the AD for that school. I believe he got selected for all 3 rounds at the school. 95% of the game is who you know, the other 25% is your skill.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 11:41am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
I was lucky enough to be selected to officiate a 1st round and a semi-final post season District games. I believe the process of selecting officials goes this way. Coaches of the participating schools submit a list of 'Want' and 'Do NOT Want' officials to the Athletic Director. The AD's of the, host schools, gets together with the other AD's, of host schools, and select officials (Hopefully from the list). They select the officials for their final game first, then the semi-final, and so on. This year, School 'A' hosts District games. Official 'A' use to be employed by that school. He was the Varsity Boys Head Coach at one time and he also was the AD for that school. I believe he got selected for all 3 rounds at the school. 95% of the game is who you know, the other 25% is your skill.
Good thing only 3% is math.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure how prevalent this is in other states, but in Missouri coaches rate officials after every game. They use a 1-5 scale, with 1 being the best. At the end of the season, you have an average rating for the year. I don't think many officials really care for it, myself included.

For district tournaments, the district chairs (The athletic directors at each host site) draft officials for their site. The officials put in a request to work a district and they are put on the draft list.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 11:48am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Good thing only 3% is math.
Or, as Yogi would say, "Ninety percent of this game is half mental." Source: Sports Illustrated (May 14, 1979)
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 11:57am
Courageous When Prudent

I have no problem with the process in the OP's area. The thing is I don't think there is more than one coach who even knows what my name is, so I wouldn't get very many assignments if that were the process here.

I don't think too many coaches would request an official who can be walked all over. Because that means the opposing coach could walk all over him also.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 12:13pm
#thereferee99

How is rating done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I'm not sure how prevalent this is in other states, but in Missouri coaches rate officials after every game. They use a 1-5 scale, with 1 being the best. At the end of the season, you have an average rating for the year. I don't think many officials really care for it, myself included.

For district tournaments, the district chairs (The athletic directors at each host site) draft officials for their site. The officials put in a request to work a district and they are put on the draft list.
Post cards? Phone calls?

Anyone, does Arbiter.net have a coaches interface? So they can see the officials who are assigned, and give feedback/rate?

Wondering whether that functionality is built in to Arbiter.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post

Gee, I never thought I'd say this, But Illinois, land of Blago, seems to be very equitable compared a few states mentioned here.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I have no problem with the process in the OP's area. The thing is I don't think there is more than one coach who even knows what my name is, so I wouldn't get very many assignments if that were the process here.

I don't think too many coaches would request an official who can be walked all over. Because that means the opposing coach could walk all over him also.
In Texas, every coach has access to all the names and home locations (have to know where to send the checks) of all the officials that will work any of their games. They also have "preferred" lists and "scratch" lists that they submit to the Chapter Assignor at the beginning of each season and for district ballgames. (For the chapters I work for, there is a 10% rule, meaning they cannot scratch more than 10% of the Chapter membership at any time during the season. Other chapters may be slightly different.) The assignor and/or the Chapter Board then determine which officials call which games. Playoffs are a little different, obviously. During the season or during district, if coaches cannot agree on a chapter or officials, then they go to UIL who then assigns a chapter to the contest. The chapter then selects what officials go to the games. (I had 2-3 such assignments this year.)

Seems fair to me, but hey, this is the system I live in. Again, I am sure others will disagree.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Or, as Yogi would say, "Ninety percent of this game is half mental." Source: Sports Illustrated (May 14, 1979)
Makes sense to me. What about the remaining 10%?
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Makes sense to me. What about the remaining 10%?
I think that's the other half.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 02:21pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I think that if you have a system in which coaches have a "want" and a "don't want" list, only officials on their "don't want" list should be assigned to their games.