The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 19, 2003, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

This actually happened in a game last night. R1 stealing second. The throw is late and the runner goes in standing up (even though I am yelling "get down"). The shortstop gets the throw and turns to tag the runner who has one foot on the base and the other past the base helping him keep his balance. The shortstop turns around and puts on a tag that forces the runner to fall off the base. The umpire calls the runner out. As the umpire returns to the A position, I tell him, "Blue, he pushed the runner off the bag." (I am coaching first base). Even more surprising than the call was his response. He said, "Yeah, he did, but he didn't push him very hard." I couldn't believe what he had just said to me. I said, "You have to be kidding me. You can't force a runner off the bag and get him out." He then made the situation worse by saying, "I know he pushed him off, but he might have fallen over anyway." Since when do we make calls by "might have"?
Old Fri Sep 19, 2003, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

If the runner didn't have secure, stable posession of the bag (and it sounds like he didn't), then the runner is out.

Next time, your runner will remember to slide.
Old Fri Sep 19, 2003, 11:18am
Get away from me, Steve.

Ditto with Bob. The runner has to have secure possession of a base. If a normal tag causes the runner to come off the base, he's out. Should've gotten secure possession.

Rich
Old Fri Sep 19, 2003, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

""Yeah, he did, but he didn't push him very hard." "I know he pushed him off, but he might have fallen over anyway."

These two remarks are cause for protest. The BU admitted F6 PUSHED the runner. That makes it NOT a 'normal' tag. An umpire cannot make a call by 'might have'.

Bob
Old Fri Sep 19, 2003, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Thanks

Thanks guys for sharing your opinion. I did tell the player that had he slid like he is taught, this would never have happened. I guess I was more frustrated with the answer I got from the umpire than the actual result. Now that I think about it, that could be what he meant by "didn't tag him very hard." I guess maybe I just took it a different way than he meant it.
Old Fri Sep 19, 2003, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

"Since when do we make calls by "might have"?"

Since last night.
Old Fri Sep 19, 2003, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
""Yeah, he did, but he didn't push him very hard." "I know he pushed him off, but he might have fallen over anyway."

These two remarks are cause for protest. The BU admitted F6 PUSHED the runner. That makes it NOT a 'normal' tag. An umpire cannot make a call by 'might have'.

Bob
Exactly which rule would be under protest here?
Old Fri Sep 19, 2003, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Kent Hrbek strikes again!