The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Charging + count the basket

Hi,

I'm a college basketball announcer. I saw a play yesterday which I've never seen before and want some clarification on the rule.

Player A1 sprinted to the lane, hit a leaner, and then was called for a charge. I initially thought they were waving off the basket.

It turns out they gave him the basket and the foul, Team B's ball.

What is the exact rule here? I couldn't find it anywhere in the rule book (NCAA.Org).

Also how common is a play like this?

Thanks.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Doesn't make any sense, should be either going to the line or waving off the basket.

Could it have been a mistake?
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

in NCAA -- if the ball is released on the shot, prior to the contact -- the ball is not dead. Therefore if the ball goes in, the basket counts -- player control foul on the shooter -- ball goes the other way.

This is different than the high school rule, where the ball is dead immediately on the player control foul.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

I believe NCAAM has a different rule (from NFHS) for this: count the bucket if a PC foul occurs after the try is released.

NCAA rules are online at eofficials.com.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Unless I'm mistaken - in NCAA mens rules - the foul is not a PC foul, as there is no PC after the ball is released for a shot.

Therefore, the foul is a pushing foul. If the foul had been the team's 7th of the half, the guy that got crashed would be awarded the 1-and-1.

NCAA womens rules do not allow for this - if you crash someone, even after releasing the ball, they wave the basket and go the other way.

Do I have it right? The FIBA rule is count the hoop and call a pushing foul.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 03:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrefguy View Post
NCAA womens rules do not allow for this - if you crash someone, even after releasing the ball, they wave the basket and go the other way.
Most likely. In the unlikely event that the shooter releases, lands, and then pushes, you would count the basket as it is now a common foul. Same in high school.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA Men, player control ends upon the release of the shot. Thus the foul is a pushing foul, and the basket counts. Team B will shoot if this is the 7th foul as player control has ended.

As has already been stated, this rule is different than NFHS. In high school, player control does not end immediately upon the release of the ball on the shot.

Regards,

Jim
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 05:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Keep away from fire or flames.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopsAnnouncer View Post
Player A1 sprinted to the lane, hit a leaner, and then was called for a charge. I initially thought they were waving off the basket. It turns out they gave him the basket and the foul, Team B's ball. What is the exact rule here? I couldn't find it anywhere in the rule book .
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSams View Post
In NCAA, if the ball is released on the shot, prior to the contact, the ball is not dead. Therefore if the ball goes in, the basket counts, player control foul on the shooter, ball goes the other way. This is different than the high school rule, where the ball is dead immediately on the player control foul.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I believe NCAAM has a different rule, from NFHS, for this: count the bucket if a PC foul occurs after the try is released.
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrefguy View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, in NCAA mens rules, the foul is not a PC foul, as there is no PC after the ball is released for a shot. Therefore, the foul is a pushing foul. If the foul had been the team's 7th of the half, the guy that got crashed would be awarded the 1-and-1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPNY25 View Post
NCAA Men, player control ends upon the release of the shot. Thus the foul is a pushing foul, and the basket counts. Team B will shoot if this is the 7th foul as player control has ended. As has already been stated, this rule is different than NFHS. In high school, player control does not end immediately upon the release of the ball on the shot.
Who is old enough, I mean, who is experienced enough (how's that, better?) to remember when the NFHS had the same rule as the NCAA? The best part of this call was that if the offended team was in the bonus, then both coaches got a little something out of the call. One team got a field goal, and the other team got a one and one free throw attempt. Neither coach got too excited. With the NFHS rule today, one coach is going to be very displeased, his player picks up a personal foul, and the basket doesn't count. If the call was close, you always know that you're going to get an earful.

HoopsAnnouncer: Thanks for coming here to find out the correct answer. Please encourage your colleagues, especially those on television, to come here for help, when they need it, which is almost all the time.

Oh, I almost forgot. Welcome to the jungle, I mean, to the Forum.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Who is old enough, I mean, who is experienced enough (how's that, better?) to remember when the NFHS had the same rule as the NCAA? The best part of this call was that if the offended team was in the bonus, then both coaches got a little something out of the call. One team got a field goal, and the other team got a one and one free throw attempt. Neither coach got too excited. With the NFHS rule today, one coach is going to be very displeased, his player picks up a personal foul, and the basket doesn't count. If the call was close, you always know that you're going to get an earful.
Unfortunately I remember!
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 07:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Property of Major League Baseball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbking View Post
Unfortunately I remember!
"Pepperidge Farm Remembers". And my hair was a lot darker, too.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Regarding the NF rule: If the shooter gets back to the floor before the contact is made, I understand that the basket would count assuming it goes in. Is it still a PC foul? I'm going off of what JPNY25 posted a few posts back. I had this discussion the other day with someone. I was trying to convince them that a shot could feasibly count on an offensive foul if the shooter gets back to the floor before the contact happens. The other person said it wouldn't be a PC foul.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

A foul after the airborne shooter returns to the floor would not be a PC foul, since player control ends when the shooter returns to the floor. Nor would it be an offensive foul, since team control ended with the try. So count the bucket if good, and the (former) shooter gets a common foul.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 09:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

For off-road use only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
A foul after the airborne shooter returns to the floor would not be a PC foul, since player control ends when the shooter returns to the floor. Nor would it be an offensive foul, since team control ended with the try. So count the bucket if good, and the (former) shooter gets a common foul.
... and maybe some free throws for the "foulee" if the other team is in the bonus.

Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

It isn't a player control foul, but it is a charging foul (the two are not synonymous).
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
It isn't a player control foul, but it is a charging foul (the two are not synonymous).
Yeah I figured it wasn't a PC foul, and I figured it would be a charging foul or a pushing foul. Thanks for the clarification everyone.