The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 16, 2005, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
Question

My assignor passed this around recently, so I thought I would share, as I found it valuable.

View the following link:

http://www.davidcatalano.com/eklekto...zer_beater.htm

Ask yourself-- Should this basket count?

Discuss.

Edit-- Looks like RedRef beat me to it in a previous post, but this puts the example into a real context.

[Edited by drothamel on Nov 16th, 2005 at 08:35 PM]
Old Wed Nov 16, 2005, 08:46pm
In Memoriam

The only way that basket should count was if the defender touched that ball while it was on the ring or in the cylinder-- and an official called defensive BI. I really couldn't tell for sure from the angle that the video was taken from.

If the defensive touching was legal, it shoulda been no basket as per the the other discussion we've been having. The defensive touching isn't a try, the ball was still up top before the light went off, the light going off ended the half, the end of the half caused the ball to become dead because it wasn't a try---> ergo---> no basket.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Nov 16th, 2005 at 08:49 PM]
Old Wed Nov 16, 2005, 09:05pm
In Memoriam

Upon further review....

Am I missing something here? When the video starts, there's only 2 officials in view. The 3rd. official never does show up anywhere. The only thing I can figure is that either they were going with 2 for some reason or the play started off a side-line throw-in administered by the trail and the trail never did get back into camera view. Either way, with that little time left in a half, why was the C (or if he was actually the trail if there was only 2) out at the top of the arc and right on the sideline instead of getting down lower for a better view of the shot, rebound, tap,etc.?

Comments?
Old Wed Nov 16, 2005, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
I wish the video clip was about 10 seconds longer so you could see the reaction of the officials. Apparently, none of them thought about it, and no one brought it up, so the play was never reviewed; and I don't know if there was a TV monitor there or not. I can only imagine what the crew felt like afterwards.
Old Thu Nov 17, 2005, 02:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Upon further review....

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Am I missing something here? When the video starts, there's only 2 officials in view. The 3rd. official never does show up anywhere. The only thing I can figure is that either they were going with 2 for some reason or the play started off a side-line throw-in administered by the trail and the trail never did get back into camera view. Either way, with that little time left in a half, why was the C (or if he was actually the trail if there was only 2) out at the top of the arc and right on the sideline instead of getting down lower for a better view of the shot, rebound, tap,etc.?

Comments?
I don't see how he could have thought he was trail. Bad C is the only explanation, imho.
Old Thu Nov 17, 2005, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to DaveVT5 Send a message via Yahoo to DaveVT5
should I post the full video?

I can post the full video if you want.
Old Thu Nov 17, 2005, 12:24pm
Huck Finn

Re: Re: Upon further review....

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

Comments?
I don't see how he could have thought he was trail. Bad C is the only explanation, imho.
I think there probably was a trail. The C wasn't too high or out of position. I will say, his feet looked like they were in cement. But, in this part of the country, the old philosophy of the C getting lower is outdated. Going lower can actually be a worse angle than being above the free-throw line extended. It is called being a mini trail or having the trail mentality. Either way, the C's only problem is that he looked like he was planted. I just looked at it a couple more times and he isn't out of position for an ACC official, but he is definately planted.
Old Thu Nov 17, 2005, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

ball was clearly touched before the lights went off, bad angle on the camera, but looks like defensive BI from here, count it!!
Old Thu Nov 17, 2005, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

It looked to me that the ball was on the side of the rim...is that still basket interference?
Old Thu Nov 17, 2005, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

You can actually tell anything from that video? I hope no one is drawing any conclusions from it. It's horribly grainy, dark and very difficult to see anything.

I can't tell, from that video clip, if the defender even touched the ball at all, much less where the ball was when he may have done so.