The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Free Throw Position question

I had a friend ask me the other day about a FT position question. I didn't know the rule, but here's the situation.

Players line up for a FT as normal. Some players put their hands into the lane area, but they keep their feet in the spaces. Legal? Overall, I say yes. If they are slapping at one another, I'd tell them to knock it off. Can they put their hands in the lane?

After that, if they can, could they put a foot in the air into the lanes spaces? Why not? Where's the rule? That's the problem I am having. I need the rule for why they can not put their foot, while in the air over the line.

I imagine, there is something in the rules about breaking the plane. I just didn't see it. I read rule 8.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 01:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The rule is they may not break the plane with their feet. Hands, knees, elbows, faces, etc., are not restricted.

The rule is 9-1-3g.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 01:36pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Here's one example

9.1.3 SITUATION L: Before the ball touches the ring or backboard on a freethrow attempt by A1, B1 in a marked lane space: (a) with a foot, breaks the vertical plane of the side edge of the area between lane space one and lane space two; (b) steps on the outside edge of the lane-line boundary; or (c) extends arms over the area between the lane spaces. RULING: Violation in both (a) and (b). Legal in (c), if there is no contact. While only the area 8 inches by 12 inches is painted on the court, the neutral zone is 12 inches wide and extends away from the nearer free-throw lane boundary for 36 inches. Likewise, each 2-inch wide lane space extends 36 inches back from the nearer free-throw lane boundary. Stepping on or breaking (with a foot) the plane of any boundary of either the neutral zone or spaces along the lane or around the three-point line are violations until restrictions end. (9-1-3g; 1-5)
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 01:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Here's the relevant portion of the rule:
"A player occupying a marked lane space may not have either foot beyond the vertical plane…."
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Another violation to watch for is backing out of their lane space. Had that in a GV game last night; B3 was in the space closest to shooter and right after A1 released the ball, B3 circled around everyone to get into rebounding position. Coach argued that she didn't enter the lane until after the ball hit the rim (which was true) but I explained that she left her space after the shooter had control of the ball and before it hit the rim/basket.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
Another violation to watch for is backing out of their lane space. Had that in a GV game last night; B3 was in the space closest to shooter and right after A1 released the ball, B3 circled around everyone to get into rebounding position. Coach argued that she didn't enter the lane until after the ball hit the rim (which was true) but I explained that she left her space after the shooter had control of the ball and before it hit the rim/basket.
How far "back" would the player have to be to be "out" of their space?
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 02:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolDoug View Post
How far "back" would the player have to be to be "out" of their space?
The spaces are 36 inches deep. But in Fritz's play, the player also went sideways into the opponent's space.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Bumping elbows with opponents in the lane is not a violation. If it gets too vigorous before I've put the ball at the thrower's disposal, I'll tell them to cool it. I also watch for a hold once the rebounding begins.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
The spaces are 36 inches deep. But in Fritz's play, the player also went sideways into the opponent's space.
I've probably called this 5-6 times this year, but it was different. The shooter's teammate in the second lane spot up reverses out and goes behind the defensive player in the bottom lane space.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 03:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I've probably called this 5-6 times this year, but it was different. The shooter's teammate in the second lane spot up reverses out and goes behind the defensive player in the bottom lane space.
Had a partner call this once, I haven't seen it other than that, though. I've called a non-marked space player for dropping below the 3 pt. line, though.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Had a partner call this once, I haven't seen it other than that, though. I've called a non-marked space player for dropping below the 3 pt. line, though.
I've called that a few times this year. Usually it's a defensive player running in to get in one of the top lane spots right after we bounce the ball to the shooter.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 03:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I've called that a few times this year. Usually it's a defensive player running in to get in one of the top lane spots right after we bounce the ball to the shooter.
Oh I've had that, too. No, the one I'm talking about was an offensive player sliding down. I said below the 3 pt. line, I meant FT line extended. She dropped down hoping to get a good rebounding angle on the side.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Oh I've had that, too. No, the one I'm talking about was an offensive player sliding down. I said below the 3 pt. line, I meant FT line extended. She dropped down hoping to get a good rebounding angle on the side.
Oh, got it. I think I've only called that once this year.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 03:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Oh, got it. I think I've only called that once this year.
I hadn't seen it in a while; it's usually a lower level thing. I called it in a Frosh girls game this year, and I think the last time I called it was a few years ago in Iowa during a frosh girls game.