The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Trail position on free throw.

Calling a prep school game last night, my co-official called a shooting foul out front. I was the lead, so I switched to the trail position after the report and he dropped to lead. He took the lane opposite the table and motioned for me to take the side closest to the scorer. I motioned for him to drop to the other side. Needless to say, I switched just to get the game going. At the first time out, I told him that officials manual for 07-09 calls for the trail to position across from the scorer. He disagreed so the rest of the night, I just went along. I know I'm right. I'm looking at it in the manual as I peck these keys. Page 23, 2.2.3 Free throws. Diagram 2-12. Trail is opposite the table.
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 11:29am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Does your partner work much three-whistle?
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Sorry, but if you're from Texas, you're incorrect. Texas did not adopt the Fed mechanic. The calling official on a shooting foul goes tableside trail, both in 2 person and 3 person.
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Well, this year I did not go with a TASO Chapter. There isn't one in this area, which means you end up driving too much. I went with a private group that calls mostly Tapps. Most of the guys were with the local chapter until it dissolved with SBOA. I was discussing this last night with the director and he agreed that we would call with the manual.

I am sorry to hear that Texas didn't concur with the NF. How can an official moniter substitutes, benches, timers, scorers with your back to the table. Doesn't make any sense to me. Not to mention that a hot tempered coach has plenty of time to vent under his breath, but just enough for you to hear.....
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

To find the reference go to www.taso.org and click on Basketball. There you will find a link to the texas exceptions from Fed mechanics.
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 12:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHtown
Sorry, but if you're from Texas, you're incorrect. Texas did not adopt the Fed mechanic. The calling official on a shooting foul goes tableside trail, both in 2 person and 3 person.
Another example of how you cannot take everything the NF puts in that book. I know some people here might just jump off a building after hearing this information.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

I believe the changes are instituted by the UIL, which governs play in Texas schools and then enforced by TASO.