The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 08:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I'm sure that Nevadaref will come with it eventually. The time it takes him to come up with an interpretation is inversely proportional to the age of the interpretation.
5.8.3. Situation E covers this play.

In (b) covers this clearly and says you go with an accidental whistle and you do not grant the timeout.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 10:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Do not write below this line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
5.8.3. Situation E covers this play. In (b) covers this clearly and says you go with an accidental whistle and you do not grant the timeout.
Thanks JRutledge. I think that the asterisk before the case play indicates that the case play is new. That's why it took so long for Nevaderef to come up with an interpretation. If it had a been a fifteen year old interpretation, then he would have come up with it in a few seconds. According to the "Law Of Nevadaref Interpretations", the time it takes Nevadaref to come up with an interpretation is inversely proportional to the age of the interpretation.

*5.8.3 SITUATION E: A1 is dribbling the ball in his/her backcourt when: (a) the Team B head coach requests and is erroneously granted a time-out by an official; or (b) the Team A head coach is yelling “side out” offensive instructions to his/her team and the official stops play believing the coach requested a time-out. RULING: In (a), Team B is entitled to use the time-out since it was requested and granted; once granted it cannot be revoked and is charged to Team B. All privileges and rights permitted during a charged time-out are available to both teams. Play will resume with a Team A throw-in nearest to where play was stopped. In (b), an accidental whistle has occurred. Team A was not requesting a time-out, and therefore, should not be granted or charged with one. Play is resumed at the point of interruption. (4-36-1; 4-36-2a)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 10:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Billy, it took me 5 minutes to find. Nothing anyone had to pull out of their hat.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 07:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm sure that Nevadaref will come with it eventually. The time it takes him to come up with an interpretation is inversely proportional to the age of the interpretation.
It also depends upon whether he is out working a post-season game.

Regional tournament this week. State tourney the next.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 09:55am
Esteemed Forum Member

If condition persists, consult your physician.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
It also depends upon whether he is out working a post-season game. Regional tournament this week. State tourney the next.
Enjoy. I work a lot of state tournament games, from the stands. I do occasionally get a few league, or conference, tournament games, but that's the way the Peter Principle works:

"In a Hierarchy Every Employee Tends to Rise to His Level of Incompetence. (Dr. Laurence J. Peter, 1968)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Ok so when do we call a T for an illegal timeout call? It's only when the team has no timeouts to call right? Also can we just ignore the timeout call if we recognize the team has no timeouts to call and is it only a T if we inadvertently grant the T.O.?
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 03:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNH IM Ref View Post
Ok so when do we call a T for an illegal timeout call? It's only when the team has no timeouts to call right?
What else would there be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNH IM Ref View Post
Also can we just ignore the timeout call if we recognize the team has no timeouts to call....
I stopped you here. The answer is no.
The only time a TO request is ignored is if the team does not have the right to request one at that time. Examples, they do not have player control or disposal for a throwin. If they request a TO when they are allowed to request one, they get it. If they have no more allotted TOs, they get one anyway along with the T.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

"In a Hierarchy Every Employee Tends to Rise to His Level of Incompetence. (Dr. Laurence J. Peter, 1968)
... and remain there.

I actually found Peter's book a couple weeks ago, when rummaging through some old boxes. Felt a little like MTD, except I wasn't in the attic.