The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 25, 2005, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

Coach of Team A calls a time out, he does not say whether he wants a 30 sec. or 65 sec., after I asked him what he wanted, and he didnt tell me (either intentionally or unintentionally ignored me), I charged him a 30 second timeout. I blew the whistle cause his team would not come out of the time out after the horns. He told me that he wanted a 65 second time out. I told him well you got charged for a short time out, and I put the ball at his team's disposal. I was then forced to call a 5 second throw in violation, and the other team came and took the ball, and scored. This coach was not to impressed, and voiced his displeasure, I informed him that he next time needs to be more clear in his request for a timeout. My question is: Did I handle this situation correctly?? (We use NCAA Men's Rules, if that makes a difference)
Old Sun Dec 25, 2005, 02:25am
Official Forum Member

Well I'm not impressed with your handling of the situation either.
First in NCAA rules you have four 75-second and two 30-second time-outs per team for regulation in games that don't have media.

65-second time-outs just don't exist.

Even for games played with four electronic media time-outs, each team gets four 30s and one 60-second time-out.

Why do you believe that it is appropriate for you to mandate that the team receives a short time-out if they don't tell you which type they want?

The vast majority of officials charge the team with a full length time-out unless the coach specifies he wants the short one. For media games it is easy to keep track of when each team uses their 60 and then you don't even have to ask anymore.

All you did was make big problem out of a tiny little situation.
Old Sun Dec 25, 2005, 02:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Teigan
Coach of Team A calls a time out, he does not say whether he wants a 30 sec. or 65 sec., after I asked him what he wanted, and he didnt tell me (either intentionally or unintentionally ignored me), I charged him a 30 second timeout. I blew the whistle cause his team would not come out of the time out after the horns. He told me that he wanted a 65 second time out. I told him well you got charged for a short time out, and I put the ball at his team's disposal. I was then forced to call a 5 second throw in violation, and the other team came and took the ball, and scored. This coach was not to impressed, and voiced his displeasure, I informed him that he next time needs to be more clear in his request for a timeout. My question is: Did I handle this situation correctly?? (We use NCAA Men's Rules, if that makes a difference)
I wouldn't wait for the Christmas card to arrive in the mail.
Old Sun Dec 25, 2005, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

We actually use a *******ization of NCAA Men's Rules. So we get 4-65 sec timeouts, and 2 30 sec timeouts
Old Sun Dec 25, 2005, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

If a coach doesn't tell you what he wants, you give him a full TO.

And I would have to agree with NVRef (WOW! second time this week! ), you didn't handle it very well.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Dec 26, 2005, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
If a coach doesn't tell you what he wants, you give him a full TO.

And I would have to agree with NVRef (WOW! second time this week! ), you didn't handle it very well.
Teigan --
What age of players? How much reffing experience do you have? What mentoring resources do you have available? Sounds like you just need to keep working at learning the various details that need keeping track of. The written rule in NFHS is to give a 60 (we don't have 65's) if the coach doesn't specify. We're also taught to work hard at getting the coach to specify, and they teach us techniques to make this work. If you've got no one going over this kind of stuff with you, find someone. The more you have to learn things the hard way, the harder it is to learn anything.
Old Mon Dec 26, 2005, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

It was a Grade 9 Women's game so there between the ages of 13&14.
Old Mon Dec 26, 2005, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
Yeah I'd say that you handled it wrong. You shouldn't have even asked if the coach doesn't tell you by the time you get to the table its a full TO. Before I put the ball at his teams disposal I'd give him a warning. Then give the 5 second count and if he voices displeasure give him a T.
Old Mon Dec 26, 2005, 05:54pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by fonzzy07
Yeah I'd say that you handled it wrong. You shouldn't have even asked if the coach doesn't tell you by the time you get to the table its a full TO. Before I put the ball at his teams disposal I'd give him a warning. Then give the 5 second count and if he voices displeasure give him a T.
I'd say that you're about to handle this one wrong too.

If the coach ignores you, charge him/her with a full time-out. When the warning horn goes with 15 seconds left in the time-out, tell whatever team you're in front of that's the first(warning) horn. When the second horn goes to signify the end of the time-out, tell the team that the time-out is over. Give 'em a few seconds to get their players out on the court. No need to be overly-officious on this one. If the team still hasn't broken their huddle, then use the appropriate resuming-play procedure depending on which team is delaying, as per rule 7-5-1.

No need to go looking for trouble. Just follow the prescribed procedures and deal with whatever comes up.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

[If the team still hasn't broken their huddle, then use the appropriate resuming-play procedure (depending on which team) is delaying, as per rule 7-5-1.

No need to go looking for trouble. Just follow the prescribed procedures and deal with
whatever comes up. [/B][/QUOTE]

JR, Please explain the part of you quote I “bracketed” above. I understand the “place the ball and start the count” if the team entitled to the TI is delaying. When the, soon to be defending team is delaying, do we hand the ball to the TI team and allow them an uncontested opportunity to score?
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Yep. The official is supposed to sound the whistle and then administer the throw-in. If that means that one team gets an easy basket, so be it. Both teams are supposed to be ready to play after the sounding of the second horn.

Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
In his defense - -

Some people handle situations different than others would. I dont believe there is a rule stating to give a coach a full time out if he doesnt tell you either way.

Teigan -

In your pregame make sure you "tell" the coach to let you know what he wants when he calls timeouts or you will have to guess what he wants and usually your guess is the wrong one. Tell him, the first whistle me break up the huddle and players back on the floor and the second is the ball is being put back in play. As officials, we dont have time to manage coachs' timeouts. They need to signal what they want when they call it or soon there after. I wouldnt say that you handled the situation wrong, just manage it better in the future!
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 10:55am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
I dont believe there is a rule stating to give a coach a full time out if he doesnt tell you either way.

You believe wrong. If a coach doesn't signal or tell you whether he wants a full or a 30 second TO, then he is supposed to be charged with a 60-second TO.

I'll find a reference for you later.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
I dont believe there is a rule stating to give a coach a full time out if he doesnt tell you either way.

You believe wrong. If a coach doesn't signal or tell you whether he wants a full or a 30 second TO, then he is supposed to be charged with a 60-second TO.

I'll find a reference for you later.
Thanks, that would help. I am not always right.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
Jurassic Referee thanks for the advice i would have handled that wrong. your posts are correct.